Frequency Of Dinner In The Buffet

CHEZMARYLOU

How Often Do You Eat Dinner In The Buffet?  

381 members have voted

1. 1. This is one of the hottest threads on CC right now so I'm curious. How often do passengers eat dinner in the buffet on the average 7 day sailing.

• I eat in the buffet for dinner every night.
    • On a 7 day sailing 3 to 6 nights.
    • On a 7 day sailing 1 or 2 nights.
    • I don't eat dinner in the buffet.

Just wondering if some type of "head count" or "heads up" that could be taken by the Food/Beverage management staff for a nightly estimate of OV dinner guests would allow for better selections.

With the implementation of the Celebrity app, it would be easy for cruisers to indicate where they were planning to have dinner that night: MDR, Specialty, OV, or Room Service. For lengthy port days, such as the one we have in San Juan that sails away at 7pm the OV should be prepared for more diners regardless.

We have not eaten in the buffet for dinner in many years, not saying it's not good, we prefer MDR.

From what we have seen through pictures from cruisers who are currently onboard, it does not look bad, still lots of choices but condensed.

I’ve been on 5 Celebrity Cruises and never personally eaten dinner in the buffet, but I have gone up there a handful of times later in the evening for pizza or a snack. I’ve always had a great time in the MDR and never been dissatisfied with the food that’s served there, but it is definitely disappointing to know that if I do ever decide to do dinner in the buffet that there will be very little to choose from. So long as lunch and breakfast in the OV don’t suffer, I can live with the changes, but I’m certainly not thrilled about it.

• Like 4

Usually like to do 1 night for dinner at the buffet but sometimes it winds up being more if we just aren't keen on the Luminae menu on a particular night, or if we want a quick meal or are tired from a long excursion day. Celebrity has always had the best buffet of any cruise line that we've been on (with Royal a close second) so we've always enjoyed eating there. These cutbacks are very disappointing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Generally we eat in the MDR with the exception of the days we depart a port late and have been doing excursions all day, especially at the beach.  If we get back on board at 7 or 8 and are tired, we don’t want to take the time to get ready for the MDR.

20 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

Based on our last cruise in December, we dined in the buffet twice which was lunch. Never stepped foot there at dinner. While Cruise Critic is a small sampling of cruisers, it looks as though most either skip the buffet all together or only a few times per sailing. 

We ONLY eat in OC on embarkation and on port-days when it's pretty much the only option... otherwise it's exclusively MDRs or Speciality. Don't see the fascination 🤔 with eating dinner in the OC! 

• Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 11:15 PM, NMTraveller said:

When you compare on price you will find that O is very comparable to X in price for regular everyday cruisers.

X should be concerned about losing that 18%.

No need to visit Royal, Princess, or HAL.

I would disagree, when I check O’s prices they are usually more than $100 a night pp even when I price Celebrity with Aways include for a balcony 

I had the pleasure of using OV for 5 straight when my wife was in quarantine and I could only eat and drink in my cabin 

I was in a bow OV cabin so it was a long walk , the biggest problem is the food is never hot to start with , so it was cold by the time I got there 🥶

• Like 1

Generally 2-3 OVC dinners on a 7n.   Simply don't need or want a lengthy multi-course meal every single night.  Would depend on menu offerings in both the OVC and MDR, as well as weather conditions outside by the sunset bar.  It's exceedingly rare for us to eat any meals inside at the OVC.  Al fresco dining is wonderful, especially when you know it's freezing at home. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RTShaker said:

As of this morning it appears that there are more people overall that do eat at the buffet than not by a small margin.

53% at least once.  17% 3-7, which for 3,000 people is 510 people, which is probably about the total number per night across the stated groups.  That's not an insignificant number of people.  Using a mostly made-to-order concept, there is a lot they could do and still reduce cost and waste.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, bonagrad said:

53% at least once.  17% 3-7, which for 3,000 people is 510 people, which is probably about the total number per night across the stated groups.  That's not an insignificant number of people.  Using a mostly made-to-order concept, there is a lot they could do and still reduce cost and waste.

Fire up the grill, pasta and stir fry station with salad and soup , very little waste 

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Fire up the grill, pasta and stir fry station with salad and soup , very little waste 

And they could implement that within a couple weeks no problem!  Adjust the their weekly stock order, put a few more staff in the OVC and be done with it!  I think it's the happy medium everyone wants.

• Like 8

We eat at the buffet 3-4 times on a 10 day cruise. More likely to be on a day when we have had a long shore excursion or simply don’t feel like a 2 hour dining experience. We also dine on 2-3 nights in specialty restaurants and the rest in the MDR. The MDR is our least favourite venue mainly because of the close proximity of the tables. 

Our next cruise will be our first since one of us was diagnosed with a food allergy. I realise we can pre-plan our meals at the MDR but we were looking forward to being able to choose a variety of freshly cooked foods from the buffet. From what I’ve seen on these boards we’ll be extremely limited in options.  By all means reduce waste,  but at least provide a quality range of fresh and cooked to order options. 

We have only ever sailed with Celebrity as we’ve been very happy with the entire Celebrity experience. We won’t experience the changes until our July cruise, but for the first time we’re considering trying out other lines in the future. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, bonagrad said:

And they could implement that within a couple weeks no problem!  Adjust the their weekly stock order, put a few more staff in the OVC and be done with it!  I think it's the happy medium everyone wants.

I like the way you think.  I think we're on the same Reflection cruise in April.  I'll probably still eat in the OVC more often than not.  You'll probably see me there (though you won't know it!  🙂 )  And my guy is from Utica/Syracuse, but we just moved down to Florida last year.  Sorry about the Bills.  🙂

32 minutes ago, Jobeth66 said:

I like the way you think.  I think we're on the same Reflection cruise in April.  I'll probably still eat in the OVC more often than not.  You'll probably see me there (though you won't know it!  🙂 )  And my guy is from Utica/Syracuse, but we just moved down to Florida last year.  Sorry about the Bills.  🙂

We are indeed and we will most likely still be in the OVC, hopefully with a little more choice!  And no need to be sorry about the Bills!  I'm a 49ers fan and my DW is a Dolphins fan.

Just now, Ex-Airbalancer said:

There would be very little waste with those stations open

Agreed. And honestly, based on some of the 'slop' that was in the chafing dishes, I would be surprised if that wasn't total waste. Celebrity is missing a golden opportunity here. J

Just like they are missing a revenue generator by no longer allowing room service to be ordered from the MDR. I think those who do not wish to dine int the MDR would order room service based on what is being served in the OVC. I know they missed $11.75 from me.

On 1/21/2023 at 8:51 AM, adolfo2 said:

We ONLY eat in OC on embarkation and on port-days when it's pretty much the only option... otherwise it's exclusively MDRs or Speciality. Don't see the fascination 🤔 with eating dinner in the OC! 

I personally like the bolded ONLY.  And the fact that you needed to make it clear your opinion about OVC diners.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boatharbour said:

We eat at the buffet 3-4 times on a 10 day cruise. More likely to be on a day when we have had a long shore excursion or simply don’t feel like a 2 hour dining experience. We also dine on 2-3 nights in specialty restaurants and the rest in the MDR. The MDR is our least favourite venue mainly because of the close proximity of the tables. 

Our next cruise will be our first since one of us was diagnosed with a food allergy. I realise we can pre-plan our meals at the MDR but we were looking forward to being able to choose a variety of freshly cooked foods from the buffet. From what I’ve seen on these boards we’ll be extremely limited in options.  By all means reduce waste,  but at least provide a quality range of fresh and cooked to order options. 

We have only ever sailed with Celebrity as we’ve been very happy with the entire Celebrity experience. We won’t experience the changes until our July cruise, but for the first time we’re considering trying out other lines in the future. 

This is my issue as well as I prefer to see the food cooked and can ask questions.  I really liked the grill station for that reason.  Plus I could always make a big salad to go with my protein of choice and some bread and cheese.  Then some fresh fruit for a dessert.  

• Like 2