Frequency Of Dinner In The Buffet

CHEZMARYLOU

How Often Do You Eat Dinner In The Buffet?  

381 members have voted

1. 1. This is one of the hottest threads on CC right now so I'm curious. How often do passengers eat dinner in the buffet on the average 7 day sailing.

• I eat in the buffet for dinner every night.
    • On a 7 day sailing 3 to 6 nights.
    • On a 7 day sailing 1 or 2 nights.
    • I don't eat dinner in the buffet.

14 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

This is one of the hottest threads on CC right now so I'm curious.  How often do passengers eat dinner in the buffet on the average 7 day sailing.

Results (so far) explain the Celebrity conundrum! I eat in OC if/when the MDR's aren't open.

69 cruises and close to 600 cruising days and have only had dinner twice in the buffet and that was because of long tours in Rome and Florence back in 2007. We didn't return to the ship until 8:30 both nights and missed our early sitting dinner. 

8 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

When you compare on price you will find that O is very comparable to X in price for regular everyday cruisers.

X should be concerned about losing that 18%.

No need to visit Royal, Princess, or HAL.

The experience isn't quite that comparable though.  For your average cruisers that likes all the actives and nightlife and amenities that come with larger ships, they aren't going to enjoy Oceania the same.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Our last cruise ate 3 nights in MDR and 7 nights in buffet.  I prefer fixing my own size portions, making my own salad and looking over the offerings.  I also enjoy how fast it is.  We don't like sitting for 1.5 to 2 hours to eat.  I'd prefer serving myself. Guess I am not use to being waited on all the time. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

I must be weird. I try to avoid the buffet at all costs. Only eat there when there is no other option.

You not weird.  People are all different on what they like and dislike.  I use to love the MDR, but they have really cut the menu way back.  I noticed on our next cruise one night they have a shrimp plate, a fish plate and a lamb plate.  I am not big on seafood and I don't eat cute little lambs, haha.  So I am stuck with the classic menu.  I noticed seafood and cuts of meat I don't eat are offered a lot thru out the cruise. Not Celebrity's fault I am so picky, so I didn't complain, I just went to OV so I could pick out things that I like.  But this option is being taken away.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, prmssk said:

The experience isn't quite that comparable though.  For your average cruisers that likes all the actives and nightlife and amenities that come with larger ships, they aren't going to enjoy Oceania the same.

I've learned from reading CC that people cruise for many different reasons. But one way to group them is those that sail primarily for itinerary and those that sail primarily for relaxation and fun.

I tend to cruise for itinerary but I also want to cruise in pleasant surroundings with pleasant company and good food. Entertainment options are great, but to me are kind of tertiary.  Most of my best cruises are those where I remember adventures ashore or really great meals. Entertainment, not so much....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prmssk said:

Are you talking about the B grade entertainment?  After you see so many shows they just get boring.  Besides you can go to Las Vegas and see the world class acts.

Celebritys shows are not as good as Royal or NCL anyways.

The MDR experience lately has really been degraded on X as they are moving tables much closer together to accommodate the OVC diners.

Edited by NMTraveller

Somehow I missed this one when it was first posted.  Thanks OP.

I've told most of my OVC story in the other threads on this topic.  But in response to the specific poll question, I've done four Celebrity cruises - two 7 nights and two 5 nights.  I ate dinners in the OVC all nights except one on each where I went with room service.  I haven't dined in the MDR or any of the specialty dining options on Celebrity.  I assume they have better food there.

My next cruise on Celebrity is in 5 weeks and will be for 5 days.  I don't anticipate using any of the specialty dining options and really don't want to head to the MDR.  But we'll see.

12 hours ago, LGW59 said:

I wish there was an option of how many Retreat guests eat in the buffet - I'll vote first, NEVER

When I feel like having dinner at the buffet, I have dinner at the buffet. It doesn't matter what cabin class I'm in.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

This is one of the hottest threads on CC right now so I'm curious.  How often do passengers eat dinner in the buffet on the average 7 day sailing.

About 50% of nights. 3 or 4 on a 7 day cruise. 

I have a 3 day cruise planned and was going to be completely casual and go every night but if current offerings are state of affairs I will just slum it in MDR instead 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

In the other referenced thread some posters felt that the OVC was not utilized enough by most cruisers on the ship.

You could apply the same logic to specialty dining, Blu, and Luminae as they are utilized by cruisers on the ship less than the OVC.

What percentage of cruisers on the ship use Blu every night?

What percentage of cruisers on the ship use Luminae every night?

What percentage of cruisers on the ship use (name your favorite specialty restaurant) every night?

Much less than 18%.

Guess what, those eating in Blu, Luminae and SRs are paying for the privilege.  Your logic is fuzzy at best and probably inaccurate.

12 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

In the other referenced thread some posters felt that the OVC was not utilized enough by most cruisers on the ship.

You could apply the same logic to specialty dining, Blu, and Luminae as they are utilized by cruisers on the ship less than the OVC.

What percentage of cruisers on the ship use Blu every night?

What percentage of cruisers on the ship use Luminae every night?

What percentage of cruisers on the ship use (name your favorite specialty restaurant) every night?

Much less than 18%.

Of course the figures for percent of passengers using Blu and  Luminae  are less than 18%.  

Using the Equinox as an example only 9% of the total passengers  (260) can access Blu.   Luminae about 6% of the total guests have access compared to the OV which 100% can access. 

We are elite plus on X and have NEVER eaten in the MDR.. We eat every dinner in our room (or at least we did!) by ordering off the regular MDR menu and having it delivered to our room, or in the OVC. We are cruising on X next month... for the first time in about 4 years...I hope we can continue to do it "our way"! 

Wow! Before this poll, I would have thought that we were in the minority for enjoying the occasional dinner in the ovc! I guess the ‘I never eat in the ovc’ people are just more vocal here on cruise critic 😬

CBBC5BBD-EF62-45EC-904B-5E0754072498.png