Riviera Changes - Jan 22 - 31

Robjame

Since the grounding incident, Oceania’s policy has been To not attempt dockings when there is a possibility of +25 winds. As a result we are skipping Dominican Republic today and adding a sea day while sailing home for Miami. Those who board on January 24 can be assured Riviera will be at Terminal on time!

As the January 24 cruise is a seven day cruise, they have expanded the dining hours to accommodate the requests for specialty dining. Hours of operation have changed from 6:30 - 9:00 to 6:00 - 9:30. This was not the case when we originally booked our specialty dining. Those who wanted earlier or later dining might find they can easily find these now.

‘This may have always been the case for 7 day cruises but it is not something we have run into before. I am sure someone can clarify.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Robjame said:

‘This may have always been the case for 7 day cruises but it is not something we have run into before. I am sure someone can clarify.

Clarify what? They made a change. Happens all the time.

Edited by pete_coach
  • Like 1

Currently on Riviera as well as the next 7 day segment.  I suppose Oceania has better information than weather.com, however, wind speed at 5 p.m. is predicted at 16 m.p.h. in Puerta Plata on weather.com as well as other weather sites brought up on the oh so slow internet!   The Riviera is definitely more likely to get into Miami on time with an entire extra day at sea!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robjame said:

As the January 24 cruise is a seven day cruise, they have expanded the dining hours to accommodate the requests for specialty dining. Hours of operation have changed from 6:30 - 9:00 to 6:00 - 9:30.

Have  seen the 6 pm slot  on some sailings we have been on    maybe so everyone can get their allotted  specialty reservations

Shorter cruises  do have a problem accommodating  everyone sometimes

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robjame said:

If this has been a standard policy for 7- cruises or if it is a new, positive change.

It’s neither. Oceania runs multiple 7 day Carribean cruises out of Miami during the winter. The vast majority of those cruisers are only doing single segment itineraries, therefore especially on the O ships it’s harder to facilitate everyone’s guaranteed bookings. Thus the adjustment in times.

One will occasionally see seven (7) day segments in Europe also. However, the turnover on those cruises is often far less than the ones out of Miami. As an example, our recent fully booked Sirena cruise consisted of a 7 day segment and a 10 day segment. A 10 day cruise segment preceded us. We were told about 300 boarded with us. Of that 300 maybe only 100 were there for only the 7 days. Therefore, the ability to ensure those 100 their guarantees in that time frame was simple. The normal dining schedule was not altered. Totally different story than when an entire boatload has to be accommodated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Interesting. Just out of curiosity I looked at the specialty dining times from a 7-day September Regatta cruise (2nd of 2 7-day cruises, so many stayed from 1st leg). Sure enough, specialties were open 6-9 pm. I don't know if the 6 pm slots were open for pre-cruise reservations since by the time I signed up 7:30 pm was the earliest shared table available on any day. I also noticed the GDR had the same hours, while Terrace did not open until 6:30 pm.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

Interesting. Just out of curiosity I looked at the specialty dining times from a 7-day September Regatta cruise (2nd of 2 7-day cruises, so many stayed from 1st leg). Sure enough, specialties were open 6-9 pm. I don't know if the 6 pm slots were open for pre-cruise reservations since by the time I signed up 7:30 pm was the earliest shared table available on any day. I also noticed the GDR had the same hours, while Terrace did not open until 6:30 pm.

pre covid  I did notice the 6pm slot  on a couple of our cruises

so not new 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Robjame said:

Since the grounding incident, Oceania’s policy has been To not attempt dockings when there is a possibility of +25 winds. As a result we are skipping Dominican Republic today and adding a sea day while sailing home for Miami. Those who board on January 24 can be assured Riviera will be at Terminal on time!

Thanks Robjame, We are boarding tomorrow.  Is Riveria at her typical J dock???  Someone posted that the Wonder of the Seas was across from her blocking her view but the RC docks are at the other end of the port.

I can’t carry anything to the dock so we’ll pull up and drop our bags and assuming we will be at J.  I had an unplanned biopsy/surgery a week ago Fri, the disgusting drains came out three days ago so I’m good to go tomorrow!!!  Yay!  The sailing is going to be really low key but a great place to let someone else cook and clean, plus we kind of booked it just to see how we like the refurb.  Look forward to meeting everyone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the more ports the better said:

Thanks Robjame, We are boarding tomorrow.  Is Riveria at her typical J dock???  Someone posted that the Wonder of the Seas was across from her blocking her view but the RC docks are at the other end of the port.

As far as we know, it is Terminal J. We arrive at 6 am.

The port with Wonder of the Seas was San Juan so no problem at Terminal J. Easy luggage drop off there and a 50 foot walk to the terminal.

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

Did the hours change for the GDR and buffet?  On my December cruise, the line at the GDR at 6 30 was very long.   The Florida people complained that dinner was too late.  After a few days of lines, there were none. The buffet was crowded.

The new hours for the Specialty Dining starts January 24 so we don’t know. Best guess is no change for Terrace or MDR as this change is to accommodate the number of people having access to the specialty dining in 7 days.

On 1/22/2023 at 8:49 AM, Robjame said:

As the January 24 cruise is a seven day cruise, they have expanded the dining hours to accommodate the requests for specialty dining. Hours of operation have changed from 6:30 - 9:00 to 6:00 - 9:30. This was not the case when we originally booked our specialty dining. Those who wanted earlier or later dining might find they can easily find these now.

What was this “grounding incident?”  When did this happen??

18 minutes ago, NeedToChill said:

Just curious, what grounding incident is that?

The Marina ran aground either entering or somewhere going up the Amazon in December. Perhaps someone aboard can give more information. I don’t believe extensive damage was reported, however…..

6 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Did the hours change for the GDR and buffet?  On my December cruise, the line at the GDR at 6 30 was very long.   The Florida people complained that dinner was too late.  After a few days of lines, there were none. The buffet was crowded.

On our September Regatta 7-day cruise the GDR opened at 6 pm and Terrace opened at 6:30 pm (at least that is what Currents said). There is probably no way to know ahead of time so just check Currents every day if you want dinner early. I did still notice a stampede toward dinner during the Captain's party.

Norwegian cruise ship ran aground in Puerto Plata (port in question in this case as well) when strong winds blew her aground. The  ships changed policies to prevent this happening again by restricting docking or leaving dock in winds greater than 25 knots.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-60749404

• Thanks 1