Princess Plus Package

Kahoot

When I booked our Mediterranean cruise last September, selecting Princess Plus option it included gratuities.  The package has now been changed and no longer includes gratuities - can they do this to me since I booked and paid in full before the changes.  Has this happened to anybody else?  Am departing from Barcelona on April 15th on Enchanted Princess.

Edited by Kahoot

You should still have the package you booked.

They can tell the difference between the various versions of the package, so your grats should still be included. Sadly, the new ice cream, juice bar and fitness classes from the new version of the package will not be included.

Best to confirm this with Princess, but you should still be getting what you paid for.

Thanks for reply, when I contacted Princess was told because I paid in NZ$ & Gratuities are in US$ I would need to pay the crew appreciation daily charge.  It appears to be no longer included within the plus package.  Will definitely contact Princess again.

Jan  

1 hour ago, Kahoot said:

Thanks for reply, when I contacted Princess was told because I paid in NZ$ & Gratuities are in US$ I would need to pay the crew appreciation daily charge.  It appears to be no longer included within the plus package.  Will definitely contact Princess again.

Jan  

Might be worth quoting "consumer law" when you speak to them. This type of "bait and switch" is illegal in Australia. Assuming it is in NZ too. 

I am on same cruise.  The Princess plus package I was “gifted” did not include gratuities.  Booked in Australia.  I have an email which states my package will stay the same, no extra charges, but will not include the special desserts or exercise class. Think I can deal with that.

Contact Princess again, whatever is decided get it in writing.

Princess had various incarnations of their 3 for free promo over the past couple of years. At least one of those versions included crew appreciation.

Check the personaliser, and it will list all of your inclusions on the "onboard services" and "payments" page, and/or your booking confirmation email. 

The bottom line is that Australian consumer law (not sure about NZ) says that the price advertised is the price you pay. Bits like GST, gratuities, sales tax etc can't be added later. 

This exact same thing has happened to me. Sailing 22 April 2023 from Rome 21 days. My summary/account listed Crew Appreciation $520.80 twice (husband and myself) every time I looked but when I checked before final payment it had disappeared. Despite phoning Princess and live chat got told “oh no this wasn’t included”. Then why was it showing along with drinks and wi-fi for five months??? I’ve emailed the “customer service” address given but obviously no response. Unfortunately I can find no mention in my original invoice and stupidly trusted Princess enough not to take a screenshot before it vanished. Won’t be sailing with them again. Dodgy, dodgy dealings going on!

It's not right as I thought the rules were that cruises arriving or departing in NZ or Oz were fully inclusive, ie fare included gratuities, but we were told a while ago that gratuities weren't included in the fare paid in NZ in cruises that use USD as on board currency (from NZ to California).

If they do start adding the automatic gratuity (for us, it totals a ridiculous amount for a couple) you can have it adjusted or removed by Guest Services.

12 minutes ago, Jean C said:

It's not right as I thought the rules were that cruises arriving or departing in NZ or Oz were fully inclusive, ie fare included gratuities, but we were told a while ago that gratuities weren't included in the fare paid in NZ in cruises that use USD as on board currency (from NZ to California).

If they do start adding the automatic gratuity (for us, it totals a ridiculous amount for a couple) you can have it adjusted or removed by Guest Services.

That is correct. For cruises up North or in US currency.. the gratuities are invoiced separately. That's all you've got to do to get your head around it - you're paying the same as everybody else.. you're just having that part itemised separately. Using that as an excuse and hiding behind cultural ignorance is a dirty trick to play on the poor staff. But if that's how you roll. 

I don’t think accusing people of cultural ignorance and dirty tricks is appropriate!  The fare I purchased included plus package for myself and my husband converted into NZD and wasn’t cheap!  This, until recently, included Crew Appreciation. The only dirty trick is being played on us by Princess. I ALWAYS pay gratuities and tips when I travel to countries where this is the custom and even on cruise ships. 

3 hours ago, nnps said:

The bottom line is that Australian consumer law (not sure about NZ) says that the price advertised is the price you pay. Bits like GST, gratuities, sales tax etc can't be added later. 

Gratuities is muddy, so I don't believe that has to be included in the fare. You do need to be advised of them. Grats don't apply at the point of sale, so are different to taxes.

Carnival Australia includes them for $AU cruises, partly as that is how we like it, and it saves the queues at the service desk.

Royal's brands include it in the fare because that way we can't take them off at the service desk.

Cunard cruises here in $US, and daily grats are added.

Carnival Luminosa departs for the US in a few months' time. For the relocation cruise, the onboard account is in $US, and daily grats are not included in the fare. 

Edited by arxcards

50 minutes ago, Over from NZ said:

That is correct. For cruises up North or in US currency.. the gratuities are invoiced separately. That's all you've got to do to get your head around it - you're paying the same as everybody else.. you're just having that part itemised separately. Using that as an excuse and hiding behind cultural ignorance is a dirty trick to play on the poor staff. But if that's how you roll. 

For the record, I've never had them removed as overseas cruises have been relatively short durations.

With respect, "you're paying the same as everybody else" isn't exactly true.  I look with envy at some of the cheap deals Aussies get for their cruises, which aren't extended to Kiwis, even for same ship, same dates, same itinerary and taking into account currency exchange difference 🤔🥴

• Like 1

Typically Princess cruises bought in Aus/NZ and operating with AUD onboard costs do not have daily gratuities but cruises operating with USD onboard costs do. 

However I'm sure I saw a US promo for USD ships that included gratuities as well as the Plus package. It was sometime last year but I can't remember exactly when.

The original confirmation emails usually show what is included, way down the bottom. 

• 2 weeks later...

You can always go to service desk and have them removed. It is easy and no problems. I have done this on an overseas cruise when the Americans and Canadians all got the 3 for free and Aussies were not included in that deal. I didn’t mind them having free alcohol but objected to the people who are used to paying tips ect not getting charged the daily gratuities and me being charged. 

• Like 1

On 1/23/2023 at 1:16 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

Typically Princess cruises bought in Aus/NZ and operating with AUD onboard costs do not have daily gratuities but cruises operating with USD onboard costs do. 

However I'm sure I saw a US promo for USD ships that included gratuities as well as the Plus package. It was sometime last year but I can't remember exactly when.

The original confirmation emails usually show what is included, way down the bottom. 

I have just booked Diamond Princess round trip from Singapore for February 2024. I took the Plus fare which included the current 3 for free promotion but gratuities were never included. When I inquired I was told it was because the ship did not leave or return from Australia and all onboard costs were in USD. I am aware that I have the option of removing the daily gratuities on board if I choose to do so.

54 minutes ago, NeilonBoard said:

I have just booked Diamond Princess round trip from Singapore for February 2024. I took the Plus fare which included the current 3 for free promotion but gratuities were never included. When I inquired I was told it was because the ship did not leave or return from Australia and all onboard costs were in USD. I am aware that I have the option of removing the daily gratuities on board if I choose to do so.

Yes, it's annoying. We've just booked a Japan cruise for October 2023 and have the same issue but I was expecting it. You can prepay the "Crew Appreciation" but check what the exchange rate is if you decide to do that. I just checked for our cruise and the prepay amount is a tad higher at the moment so I'll keep an eye on what the exchange rate is doing over the next few months.

Also be aware that the excursion prices are in USD.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

On 1/23/2023 at 12:42 PM, Jean C said:

I look with envy at some of the cheap deals Aussies get for their cruises, which aren't extended to Kiwis, even for same ship, same dates, same itinerary and taking into account currency exchange difference 🤔🥴

I feel the same when looking at what US cruisers get - OBC from their TAs, ability to adjust/rebook if a lower price is advertised, more lenient cancellation policies etc

27 minutes ago, Wombat706 said:

I feel the same when looking at what US cruisers get - OBC from their TAs, ability to adjust/rebook if a lower price is advertised, more lenient cancellation policies etc

Australians can refare if the price drops. Just ring Princess. I've done it a number of times.

32 minutes ago, Wombat706 said:

Their bookings are all refundable up to final payment but I think it's a US law (although with all states in the US having their own laws I'm not sure how can can be unless this is one area they think is important enough to have a national approach).

Hi Folks 

So, to just make sure I understand (and not perhaps take this thread in a different direction) when you purchase a cruise fare in Australia including Princess Plus package  "crew appreciation" should be included in the fare? Or is it something you pay additionally to ensure crew receive appropriate gratuities without any tipping discomfort or awkwardness. More than happy to pay on that basis.

First Princess and first Australian cruise coming up.

2 hours ago, Galesa said:

Hi Folks 

So, to just make sure I understand (and not perhaps take this thread in a different direction) when you purchase a cruise fare in Australia including Princess Plus package  "crew appreciation" should be included in the fare? Or is it something you pay additionally to ensure crew receive appropriate gratuities without any tipping discomfort or awkwardness. More than happy to pay on that basis.

Daily gratuities don't exist on local Australian dollar cruises for Princess, P&O and Carnival. When Princess has a promo that includes "crew appreciation", it is irrelevant to their Australian cruises. 

The plus package gives you drinks package, internet and a couple of recent additions of "special" desserts and a fitness class or two. 

The premier package adds on a few more extras. In the US, the premier package includes "crew appreciation", but that is already built into the basic fares in Australia.

2 hours ago, Galesa said:

Hi Folks 

Since May 2011, gratuities are included in all Princess cruises that originate and return to an Australian port if the fare is purchased in Aust or NZ. It doesn't matter whether or not you have the Plus package. The crew on Australian-based ships are paid at a higher rate than those on overseas ships and are not part of the tip pool that Princess operates. Crew will not expect a tip from you.

• Like 1