Vaping on quantum of the seas

Kitalion

Once again, people are discussing (kind of arguing) about something that Royal has said is against their rules.  No smoking of any kind except in designated areas.  I don't get why it's so hard to understand for some.  It's like it's a challenge when there are rules.  Vaping definitely smells and at the end of the day, it's not healthier than not smoking at all.  There's also more and more data showing it's not really safer than smoking.  

• Like 9

3 hours ago, gavvy said:

I have to admit the ones that produce those massive plumes of vape are annoying and unnecessary, as the lower vape plume ones do the same thing.

Nothing worse than walking into a massive fog like that 

Agree. I can think of another one. I ride a motorcycle and there is usually a jerk or two in their diesel trucks that like to floor it when they see a motorcyclist behind them, leaving us in a huge smelly black plume of smoke. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, rockmom said:

Meanwhile in Mexico...May be an image of text that says '出 Dear Guest, We hope you've been enjoying your time onboard with us! Effective January 15, 2023, Mexico has banned all forms of smoking (including e-cigarettes in public spaces, including hotels, parks, restaurants, and beaches. As you go ashore in Mexico, please keep this in mind, as failure to comply may result in steep fines and/or being detained up to 36 hours. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. We look forward to enjoying this destination and the rest of our time together! Sincerely, Adventure of the Seas'

Wow! That should probably be posted on CC so all can see it. We'll be cruising to Cozumel in April on Serenade and I posted it there. Hey, maybe some of the suite cruisers will cancel and my RU bid will win!! One could only hope!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

Wow! That should probably be posted on CC so all can see it. We'll be cruising to Cozumel in April on Serenade and I posted it there. Hey, maybe some of the suite cruisers will cancel and my RU bid will win!! One could only hope!

I'm waiting for the posts from people who are furious with Royal because they missed the ship because they were being detained because they were caught smoking and the ship didn't wait for them.  Or expect Royal to reimburse them for the $500 fine.    (joking, sort of)  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, rockmom said:

I'm waiting for the posts from people who are furious with Royal because they missed the ship because they were being detained because they were caught smoking and the ship didn't wait for them.  Or expect Royal to reimburse them for the $500 fine.    (joking, sort of)  

Well, of course it will be everybody else's fault but there's.  

• Like 3

You don't need to look far to find information about the harm that vaping causes, not just to the vaper/smoker.

It doesn't bother me if people want to vape, but nowhere near me please!

As Royal have a rule about no smoking or vaping except for designated areas, surely as law abiding, educated adults it not too hard to adhere to?  

I recently saw a news item where a vape exploded, if nothing else this should be a consideration.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Anyone who thinks that vaping leaves no trace needs to get in my nephew's car.  He loves those fruity scented high VG vapes, and you can smell it outside the car with the windows closed... 

Oh, and it's not water vapor.  It's propylene glycol and vegetable glycerine being burned, and the VG definitely leaves an oily residue that can't be easily removed from drapes and room linens.

That's why it's banned in staterooms.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 1/25/2023 at 2:38 PM, Ret MP said:

... For decades, going back to the first days of luxury cruising, up until about the early 2000's smoking on a ship was permissible, virtually anywhere.  I don't remember any major fires on a cruise ship being reported as cigarettes being the verifiable caused of a fire ... 

It was a different generation, and smoking was viewed differently.  

I was born in the late 60s, and all the adults in my family smoked -- they smoked at home, they smoked in restaurants, they smoked in bed, they smoked in the car.  And they did occasionally set fire to things:  I specifically remember my grandfather falling asleep with a cigarette and setting the bed on fire.  I also remember someone emptying an ash tray with a still-hot cigarette into a trash can and setting the house on fire.  This was a very real problem in my childhood.  

Having said that, I can't believe such things didn't occasionally happen on cruise ships.  

23 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

It was a different generation, and smoking was viewed differently.  

I was born in the late 60s, and all the adults in my family smoked -- they smoked at home, they smoked in restaurants, they smoked in bed, they smoked in the car.  And they did occasionally set fire to things:  I specifically remember my grandfather falling asleep with a cigarette and setting the bed on fire.  I also remember someone emptying an ash tray with a still-hot cigarette into a trash can and setting the house on fire.  This was a very real problem in my childhood.  

I smoked at home up and until I quit in 2008 I started in circa 1964.  My family, thankfully, suffers no ill effects. My parents smoked just like your adult family did.  So, did I except for the bed part.  I don't remember any fires though.  Lucky I guess.  

23 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Having said that, I can't believe such things didn't occasionally happen on cruise ships.  

Please keep in mind that I said that I don't remember knowing of any cigarettes causing a major fire on a cruise ship and "That doesn't mean that I'm saying there were none, I'm not a student of smoking on cruise ships".

But, you are probably right, there may be lots of incident of minor fires in cabins that were extinguished by the occupants or crew, little to no damage and not reported any higher than the hotel manager or reported to the ship's Captain but not reported any higher.  It wouldn't be great public relations if that info got off the ship and into the public realm

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 1

Guest TopoChico
2 hours ago, Lane Hog said:

Anyone who thinks that vaping leaves no trace needs to get in my nephew's car.  He loves those fruity scented high VG vapes, and you can smell it outside the car with the windows closed... 

Oh, and it's not water vapor.  It's propylene glycol and vegetable glycerine being burned, and the VG definitely leaves an oily residue that can't be easily removed from drapes and room linens.

That's why it's banned in staterooms.

Oh reallyyyyy, you can smell it outside the car….when the windows are closed?  It sounds like he might not be just vaping propylene and glycerine in the car 😂

“marijuana” also comes in flavored juices at a very high scent level to cover the weed smell.  Regular vape juice will definitely not do that in a car. 

Edited by TopoChico

Guest phd1003
13 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Please keep in mind that I said that I don't remember knowing of any cigarettes causing a major fire on a cruise ship and "That doesn't mean that I'm saying there were none, I'm not a student of smoking on cruise ships".

Star Princess 2006

Once upon a time, many moons ago, I was a member of a board, much like this one, but it was a motorcycle board.  The board/group had a meet and greet at Fall Church Falls, TN and we rode the country side for the day, this was the first group ride of the season.  After the ride and a few days later, a guy and his wife that we had lunch with the day of the ride, came into the board and started complaining about smelling my cigarette smoke as he was following me on the bikes and I stunk up the lunch table that the 4 of us were sitting at. Not a word of complaint while we were in person. Boy O boy, was he pissed.  I asked if he was sure it was from me.  He was sure, completely sure, and he got really pissed that I challenged him with the possibility of it not being me.  

This was not the first time the he and I were at motorcycle gatherings and knew each other somewhat well as we've met at gatherings before.  So, it was no secrete that I was a smoker.  As I said this was the first group gathering/group ride of the season, the 2009 season.  I quit smoking in the fall of 2008 and I haven't smoked since, not even putting a cigarette in my mouth or hand.   I did not advertise the fact that I had quite. Why would I!  So, I let him go on and on about how sickening it was to be around my smoke filled area, smell my clothing and so on.  I think others in the board knew what I was doing, I've always let people hang themselves.  Well, I finally let the hammer fall and let him know that I had quit smoking about 6 months before that ride and the ride that he was so sure that I smelled of cigarette smoke and he could smell the smoke as he was following me on the bike was not me and could not have been me and that he was making the whole thing up.   Several others on the board that were local to my area and we socialized in person during the off riding season verified the fact that I quit in the fall of 2008.  Several others came on and stated that the guy was a rabid "anti-smoker" and caused trouble wherever he went where people were smoking.  They had to bail him out of trouble a few times.  I guess he THOUGHT I was still a smoker and I was his target for the day.  

Hence, I'm not a big fan of the very vocal and unreasonable anti-smokers.  I have no problem with people that simply state that they don't want to be around smokers or smoking.  I respect that.  I don't want to be around the smell of fish.  But, I don't respect those that belittle and/or bully others, for any reason, actually.   

• Like 2

Just now, fredmdcruisers said:

You should do great here on CC then. Not!

Oh, I'm having a great time and that's all that counts, FOR ME!  However, there are a number of folks in here that I don't respect and I don't respond to there posts but I may mock them via Avatar or emoji.  I'm sure that breaks their heart, LOL.  Well, I won't respond unless it is really stupid or a huge lie.   And this goes for any/everybody:

1243929549_Idontcare.jpg.7b8b0ce702d97a63189f37223f93d9a5.jpg

• Like 2

Guest phd1003
25 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Please read post #107.

Sorry missed that one...Your right, it probably spontaneously combusted. Happens all the time.  How about thise one. This one is not listed as "Most Likely" the cause.

https://www.cruisehive.com/cigarette-causes-small-fire-dawn-princess/10757

I find it amusing how it falls on the people who follow the rules to cite studies showing the harm of second hand vape smoke (I counted 6) and fire hazards. And even then it's not good enough. Show me reports that prove the fires was caused by something else. It's like saying Buddy Holly "Most Likely" died in a plane crash. Who's to say he didn't have a heart attack first. The cruise industry has acquiesced to smokers / vapers and given the a spot to do their thing so the rest of us can do ours.

Guest TopoChico
49 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Once upon a time, many moons ago, I was a member of a board, much like this one, but it was a motorcycle board.  The board/group had a meet and greet at Fall Church Falls, TN and we rode the country side for the day, this was the first group ride of the season.  After the ride and a few days later, a guy and his wife that we had lunch with the day of the ride, came into the board and started complaining about smelling my cigarette smoke as he was following me on the bikes and I stunk up the lunch table that the 4 of us were sitting at. Not a word of complaint while we were in person. Boy O boy, was he pissed.  I asked if he was sure it was from me.  He was sure, completely sure, and he got really pissed that I challenged him with the possibility of it not being me.  

This was not the first time the he and I were at motorcycle gatherings and knew each other somewhat well as we've met at gatherings before.  So, it was no secrete that I was a smoker.  As I said this was the first group gathering/group ride of the season, the 2009 season.  I quit smoking in the fall of 2008 and I haven't smoked since, not even putting a cigarette in my mouth or hand.   I did not advertise the fact that I had quite. Why would I!  So, I let him go on and on about how sickening it was to be around my smoke filled area, smell my clothing and so on.  I think others in the board knew what I was doing, I've always let people hang themselves.  Well, I finally let the hammer fall and let him know that I had quit smoking about 6 months before that ride and the ride that he was so sure that I smelled of cigarette smoke and he could smell the smoke as he was following me on the bike was not me and could not have been me and that he was making the whole thing up.   Several others on the board that were local to my area and we socialized in person during the off riding season verified the fact that I quit in the fall of 2008.  Several others came on and stated that the guy was a rabid "anti-smoker" and caused trouble wherever he went where people were smoking.  They had to bail him out of trouble a few times.  I guess he THOUGHT I was still a smoker and I was his target for the day.  

Hence, I'm not a big fan of the very vocal and unreasonable anti-smokers.  I have no problem with people that simply state that they don't want to be around smokers or smoking.  I respect that.  I don't want to be around the smell of fish.  But, I don't respect those that belittle and/or bully others, for any reason, actually.   

People believe what they want to believe to fight things that don’t really matter.. There’s a couple Pinocchio comments on here from people pretending to be vaping experts, and ex-smokers who probably stunk it up for everyone else on cruise ships for years and now want to be the Vapor police 👮‍♂️  fighting the typhoon-sized vapor clouds and all those millions of exploding batteries. 

1 minute ago, phd1003 said:

Sorry missed that one...Your right, it probably spontaneously combusted.

There's no need to be snarky!  And I never said ANYTHING about "spontaneously" anything.

Happens all the time.  How about thise one. This one is not listed as "Most Likely" the cause.

https://www.cruisehive.com/cigarette-causes-small-fire-dawn-princess/10757

I find it amusing how it falls on the people who follow the rules to cite studies showing the harm of second hand vape smoke (I counted 6) and fire hazards. And even then it's not good enough. Show me reports that prove the fires was caused by something else. It's like saying Buddy Holly "Most Likely" died in a plane crash. Who's to say he didn't have a heart attack first. The cruise industry has acquiesced to smokers / vapers and given the a spot to do their thing so the rest of us can do ours.

BTW, wrong ship, wrong time, wrong everything.  And The Dawn isn't an official investigative agency that reports final legal findings, if the damage was significant enough to warrant an official investigation or there were injuries/fatalities there would be an official governmental investigative report .  AND it wasn't a "major" fire/incident, it says it was a "small fire".  And NO, I don't doubt that it was a cigarette that caused the "small fire".  

Man, your shorts are too tight.  You obviously don't get the premise of that post, post 107.

Your link:

"The Mercury is reporting a discarded cigarette caused a slight scare after igniting onboard the Dawn Princess which is operated by Princess Cruises. The site says a smouldering cigarette was swept up which caused a small fire on one of the ship’s staircase.

Thankfully the ships sprinkler system activated along with fire crew and local authorities. There were no injuries and the small fire was extinguished within minutes. The fire occurred at around 9am when the Dawn princess was docked at Macquarie Wharf in Hobart, Tasmania.

This is a reminder how important it is not to smoke on onboard a cruise ship and how easy a fire can spark from the smallest of things. The 77,500 gross ton Dawn Princess was calling at the port as part of a 12-day Australian cruise. The ship which carries over 2,000 passengers is scheduled to arrive back at its home port in Sydney on April 7".

Guest phd1003
5 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

BTW, wrong ship, wrong time, wrong everything.  And The Dawn isn't an official investigative agency that reports final legal findings, if the damage was significant enough to warrant an official investigation or there were injuries/fatalities there would be an official governmental investigative report .  AND it wasn't a "major" fire/incident, it says it was a "small fire".  And NO, I don't doubt that it was a cigarette that caused the "small fire".  

Man, your shorts are too tight.  You obviously don't get the premise of that post, post 107.

Your link:

"The Mercury is reporting a discarded cigarette caused a slight scare after igniting onboard the Dawn Princess which is operated by Princess Cruises. The site says a smouldering cigarette was swept up which caused a small fire on one of the ship’s staircase.

Thankfully the ships sprinkler system activated along with fire crew and local authorities. There were no injuries and the small fire was extinguished within minutes. The fire occurred at around 9am when the Dawn princess was docked at Macquarie Wharf in Hobart, Tasmania.

This is a reminder how important it is not to smoke on onboard a cruise ship and how easy a fire can spark from the smallest of things. The 77,500 gross ton Dawn Princess was calling at the port as part of a 12-day Australian cruise. The ship which carries over 2,000 passengers is scheduled to arrive back at its home port in Sydney on April 7".

I know what I sent. You disputed the 2006 fire. I sent another example. Need more?