October transatlantic cancelled

Bazrat

Interesting to read there are some who blame p&o for the flight debacle, I would have thought that before they issued the cruises for sale that would have contacted TUI with the estimated passengers they would need to fly back as well as fly out for the next cruise, if my interpretation of how the system works I stand corrected.

21 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Interesting to read there are some who blame p&o for the flight debacle, I would have thought that before they issued the cruises for sale that would have contacted TUI with the estimated passengers they would need to fly back as well as fly out for the next cruise, if my interpretation of how the system works I stand corrected.

You may have thought that but did P&O? It will be interesting to see if P&O sue TUI for the money they have lost!

56 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

TUI should already know regardless they have been doing the flights for how many years.

4 hours ago, swanseaboy said:

I'm onboard Iona this coming Saturday and thinking of booking this Arvia Transatlantic Caribbean 27th October 2023. Can anyone please tell me the booking onboard benefits? I'm looking to book a select fare balcony. I'm solo but cannot see any solo balconies on P&O website for this cruise? I'll book a double balcony if no singles available. Thanks 

There are only 12 single balconies on Arvia and a Double for single occupancy today is £2046 for a saver and £2382 for a select with £300 OBC. Only £36 difference but I suppose that P&O want you to spend £300 of 'their' money rather than say just £150 of your own

32 minutes ago, carlanthony24 said:

TUI should already know regardless they have been doing the flights for how many years.

Two points. One: Yes they have been doing it for years but not with massive ships like Arvia..and Two.. P&O should know that Tui would be still in the summer scedule and should have checked before selling the cruise. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

Two points. One: Yes they have been doing it for years but not with massive ships like Arvia..and Two.. P&O should know that Tui would be still in the summer scedule and should have checked before selling the cruise. 

I get the big ships issue and yes they should know summer schedule because that has not changed either. Either way we won't know for certain but always going to get people moaning that TUI are never on time why can't they get another airline, from what people have said they tried other airlines and that didn't work out either, so these people who complain need to realize how tough things can get between companies.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

Amazing comments on this thread and the site in general lately.  To think that this cruise in question was probably assembled/planned some 18 months plus ago, and sold around that time too.  How would the airline even know what their fleet composition would be at that stage?  

It's not just P&O.  We had flights booked with BA from Southampton to Malaga for our annual lads golf week, booked as soon as they became available.  Over Christmas, email from BA to say the flight has been cancelled for operational reasons.  We just sucked it up, and booked for the following morning departure instead.

The last few years has reinforced something, it's that life is too short to get wound up about these sorts of things, especially if you are unaffected by the particular incident.

I feel sorry for your cruise being cancelled, and hope you find a suitable alternative. 

Time for another break from these pages for a while I believe.

• Like 6

Overall there has been a happy solution so nothing for passengers to get vexed about.

For P&O there is clearly an aircraft shortage to be looked at.  They have released in good faith schedules that in the past have worked but looking at the number of fly cruises through February and March they are having to sell as cruise only through no fault of their own they have availability on their ships but no airline able to fly the passengers to join the ships.

Within Europe this is probably salvageable but the Caribbean sales will presumably be curtailed as passengers will not be able to get flights at a reasonable cost.  Assumedly most would therefore decide to look at alternatives which either don’t need flights or do have them included (eg Marella with TUI owning the aircraft).

It must be worrying for the flight department that already there has been a problem leading into the next season.  With a very large ship to fill and also using Antigua as well as Barbados lots of extra seats are going to be required from what is a finite number of aircraft.  Any breakdowns of planes could have a very nasty knock on if there aren't enough actually in service.  Someone is assumedly crossing everything they have that TUI will actually come through with the goods.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, jaydee6969 said:

Amazing comments on this thread and the site in general lately.  To think that this cruise in question was probably assembled/planned some 18 months plus ago, and sold around that time too.  How would the airline even know what their fleet composition would be at that stage?  

It's not just P&O.  We had flights booked with BA from Southampton to Malaga for our annual lads golf week, booked as soon as they became available.  Over Christmas, email from BA to say the flight has been cancelled for operational reasons.  We just sucked it up, and booked for the following morning departure instead.

The last few years has reinforced something, it's that life is too short to get wound up about these sorts of things, especially if you are unaffected by the particular incident.

I feel sorry for your cruise being cancelled, and hope you find a suitable alternative. 

Time for another break from these pages for a while I believe.

Many thanks for inserting a dose of common sense.  Unfortunately, for many the whole purpose of this forum is to get irrationally wound up about just this sort of thing.  We're all doomed, and it's all the fault of P&O.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Yorkypete said:

TUI services Marella and Marella's ships are circa 2000 passengers. Flights to Med destinations are done in 1 day as are Caribbean flights. The Canary Isles are 2 days but the ship uses both Gran Canary and Tenerife, no overnighting in one port.