October transatlantic cancelled

Bazrat

My trip in October on Arvia as been cancelled due to lack of flights back, they have offered us £50 pp onboard credit if we rebook with them before march, they have certainly pushed the boat out with that one.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

My trip in October on Arvia as been cancelled due to lack of flights back, they have offered us £50 pp onboard credit if we rebook with them before march, they have certainly pushed the boat out with that one.

Sorry to hear that as I know how much you enjoy that cruise every year.  Did they say if Britannia was going ahead or offer you her in exchange?

I've noticed there are a very large number of these Caribbean cruises this year stating cruise only as well. I was told that flights are a problem for those too.

Sorry to hear that @Bazrat, it’s always disappointing when things get cancelled. At least you have time to find something else.

That offer is down right mean imo.

Are they cancelling the whole cruise or just some people because of particular flights? Could they put you on a flight to another airport for example. May be worth asking.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Sorry to hear that as I know how much you enjoy that cruise every year.  Did they say if Britannia was going ahead or offer you her in exchange?

I've noticed there are a very large number of these Caribbean cruises this year stating cruise only as well. I was told that flights are a problem for those too.

Britannia is available but same itinerary as last couple of years Arvia had different islands, Marella prices are very expensive for some unknown reason and RC dates and length doesn’t work for us

4 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Sorry to hear that @Bazrat, it’s always disappointing when things get cancelled. At least you have time to find something else.

That offer is down right mean imo.

Are they cancelling the whole cruise or just some people because of particular flights? Could they put you on a flight to another airport for example. May be worth asking.

Mean isn’t the word my beloved used and it takes an awful lot to hear her swear.

the entire cruise is cancelled but strangely enough still on website 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Sorry forgot to add you are correct in that it’s getting difficult to get flights back

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Mean isn’t the word my beloved used and it takes an awful lot to hear her swear.

So presumably the ship is doing something else and if so could you get first dibs on that.

I empathise with your beloved. We had a cruise cancelled just 4 days before embarkation on Fred. My language was choice and I rarely use profanities. Thankfully no one was around to hear me 😀.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Sorry to hear that your TA has been cancelled, looks like it will be a reposition cruise with 

a few more cruises cancelled . Hope you get sorted Bazrat .

My Mrs got this from elsewhere which shows the changes . Could be helpful to others .

FB_IMG_1674559094366.thumb.jpg.3c25ea6769148bb17411bbf81fd70a8e.jpg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

On the website - but comes up with an error during the booking process and cannot be completed.

29 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Britannia is available but same itinerary as last couple of years Arvia had different islands, Marella prices are very expensive for some unknown reason and RC dates and length doesn’t work for us

Yes, I understand the Britannia problem. It was the reason we chose to move to Arvia ourselves. Of course we've now cancelled that and jumped to Celebrity.  

As you say the cruise cost on the other lines has risen considerably driven, I think, by demand.  So many have been looking for alternatives to their regular P&O cruises it probably hasn't helped as Marella in particular has been mentioned over and over.

The p&o transatlantic cruises have always offered good value price wise.  However I'm surprised they chose to keep Britannia on a full season rather than Arvia as after all the latter is supposedly their bright new shining star.  I guess volume needing flights has prompted the choice.

The compensation offered to you is a bit insulting considering that any replacement you might pick will now be at a far higher price.  I suppose we shouldn't be surprised at their lack of interest in your plight considering their track record at present with compensation to the downgraded passengers.  Looking at the list of cancellations I'd be interested in knowing how many bookings they actually had on these cruises.

None of which helps you and your wife.  I do hope you get sorted with something soon.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, kalos said:

Sorry to hear that your TA has been cancelled, looks like it will be a reposition cruise with 

a few more cruises cancelled . Hope you get sorted Bazrat .

My Mrs got this from elsewhere which shows the changes . Could be helpful to others .

FB_IMG_1674559094366.thumb.jpg.3c25ea6769148bb17411bbf81fd70a8e.jpg

Yes that is what we got

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Should have read your next post!!!!!

Edited by terrierjohn

4 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Yes that is what we got

Sorry about the cancelled cruises.We have been looking at holidays in the US and to be honest there are plenty of flights  but they are dearer! Perhaps P&O are saving money?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

Sorry about the cancelled cruises.We have been looking at holidays in the US and to be honest there are plenty of flights  but they are dearer! Perhaps P&O are saving money?

The latest figures quoted in the trade and to some extent the inflation figures are quoting a 40% increase year on year for flights and hotels.

Package holidays too according to my friend who is an independent travel agent.  In her words those expecting big bargains may be disappointed as bookings are fast and furious.

Arvia’s first turnaround in Barbados in the Winter 23/24 season was due to be Friday & Saturday of the clock change weekend. This is still on Summer aircraft scheduled and Tui can’t provide the long haul aircraft.

Don’t know whether P&O or Tui at fault in the planning but it’s just come to light, and no alternative carriers were available that could handle the whole ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Arvia’s first turnaround in Barbados in the Winter 23/24 season was due to be Friday & Saturday of the clock change weekend. This is still on Summer aircraft scheduled and Tui can’t provide the long haul aircraft.

Don’t know whether P&O or Tui at fault in the planning but it’s just come to light, and no alternative carriers were available that could handle the whole ship.

Thankyou for the information still seam's like very poor planning, I would be more understanding if it was just out of the pandemic, but it is not the first TA Arvia is doing.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Is the new 27 October cruise mentioned in the notification a passenger carrying cruise? If so were those cancelled offered preferential booking for this one?

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1

Perhaps the idea of bigger, higher capacity cruise ships did not take into account the increase in number of flights required to fill them.  Particularly when not sailing out of UK.

At least you have been told well in advance unlike those of us on the original maiden voyage.  PR wise P&O do not cover themselves in glory.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Is the new 27 October cruise mentioned in the notification a passenger carrying cruise? If so were those cancelled offered preferential booking for this one?

As well as the cancelled TA  passengers, there will also be the first fly cruise that has also been cancelled, and since all these passengers wanted a Caribbean holiday then presumably it's far better to leave them to fight it out when the new TA goes on sale.

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

As well as the cancelled TA  passengers, there will also be the first fly cruise that has also been cancelled, and since all these passengers wanted a Caribbean holiday then presumably it's far better to leave them to fight it out when the new TA goes on sale.

I appreciate that, I actually meant a booking window just for cancelled guests before it went on general sale.  A bit like the tiers for season on sale - as a lowly person I never get the best cabins!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Any idea when the flights will be released for the Malta season on Azura first flights back on 30 March and nothing released yet lots of people are getting concerned by the lack of information, have they got any flights for them?

2 hours ago, Mollag said:

Any idea when the flights will be released for the Malta season on Azura first flights back on 30 March and nothing released yet lots of people are getting concerned by the lack of information, have they got any flights for them?

I would think there is less likely to be a problem with the Malta flights both because it is short-haul and Azura carries fewer pax.

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

I would think there is less likely to be a problem with the Malta flights both because it is short-haul and Azura carries fewer pax.

You’d have thought so but no sign of flights either way and some cruises have been on sale as cruise only for a while now, only nine weeks till the first changeover in Malta pax don’t know which London airports to book for parking etc. just the usual P&O shambles

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mollag said:

You’d have thought so but no sign of flights either way and some cruises have been on sale as cruise only for a while now, only nine weeks till the first changeover in Malta pax don’t know which London airports to book for parking etc. just the usual P&O shambles

I must admit to not knowing how ships liase with aircraft companys but we are booked for two weeks in Malta (which we normally do twice a year) and there is no problem with flights. Although we are going on the first flight since the winter break we could have chosen any time onwards.

6 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

I must admit to not knowing how ships liase with aircraft companys but we are booked for two weeks in Malta (which we normally do twice a year) and there is no problem with flights. Although we are going on the first flight since the winter break we could have chosen any time onwards.

They use chartered aircraft and do block bookings on schedule flights so I’m assuming the schedule flights must be known already as they would’ve been released several months ago but as yet everybody is being kept on the dark