October transatlantic cancelled

Bazrat

Scheduled flights it seems a lot easier I feel. We knew last March that we was flying Jet2 from MAN but if it was chartered we wouldn’t have known the timings. Just waiting for our return flight from Malta to come up so we can book car parking the times they have put on the flight info page do not match with any listed flights. Some have said they may release end of the month.

4 hours ago, Britboys said:

I would think there is less likely to be a problem with the Malta flights both because it is short-haul and Azura carries fewer pax.

Its not a problem because the short haul charters go to Malta in the Summer and Tenerife in the Winter - so a year round charters. The days may change slightly but they are still regular.

9 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Is the new 27 October cruise mentioned in the notification a passenger carrying cruise? If so were those cancelled offered preferential booking for this one?

Yes - it is the new transatlantic and will carry passengers.

7 hours ago, gsgbrumuk said:

Perhaps the idea of bigger, higher capacity cruise ships did not take into account the increase in number of flights required to fill them.  Particularly when not sailing out of UK.

Unusually, because of the way the dates fall this year, the first Barbados change over weekend still falls in the Summer airline schedules rather than the Winter one.

This problem is caused by Tui's long haul aircraft already being allocated to other routes on the last weekend of the airline's Summer schedule. Throughout the Winter schedule Tui largely doesn't fly long haul on Fridays and Saturdays as its aircraft are all allocated to P&O's Caribbean charters.

As for general capacity, P&O have struggled since Thomas Cook fell away. Thomas Cook used to hire 3 A330s from the British Government to increase their fleet size, when they were not flying for UK Gov. They often turned up on P&O charters but since Thomas Cook went, they've not been so available/

Virgin is a good option but in the Pandemic they retired their remaining B747s and their A332s. They have therefore had a tight aircraft plan of late which has meant not many spare planes. They are slowly receiving more A351s and A339s and this is creating availability - it just means its being done at shorter notice than is ideal.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, molecrochip said:

Its not a problem because the short haul charters go to Malta in the Summer and Tenerife in the Winter - so a year round charters. The days may change slightly but they are still regular.

Yes - it is the new transatlantic and will carry passengers.

Unusually, because of the way the dates fall this year, the first Barbados change over weekend still falls in the Summer airline schedules rather than the Winter one.

This problem is caused by Tui's long haul aircraft already being allocated to other routes on the last weekend of the airline's Summer schedule. Throughout the Winter schedule Tui largely doesn't fly long haul on Fridays and Saturdays as its aircraft are all allocated to P&O's Caribbean charters.

As for general capacity, P&O have struggled since Thomas Cook fell away. Thomas Cook used to hire 3 A330s from the British Government to increase their fleet size, when they were not flying for UK Gov. They often turned up on P&O charters but since Thomas Cook went, they've not been so available/

Virgin is a good option but in the Pandemic they retired their remaining B747s and their A332s. They have therefore had a tight aircraft plan of late which has meant not many spare planes. They are slowly receiving more A351s and A339s and this is creating availability - it just means its being done at shorter notice than is ideal.

Thanks for the info.  I enquired about the 18 February Arvia cruise a short time ago and was surprised to be offered a Heathrow charter on Virgin.  The new deliveries explains that one.   

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Do you think that is that poor forward planning from P&O or poor communication between P&O and airlines?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gsgbrumuk said:

Do you think that is that poor forward planning from P&O or poor communication between P&O and airlines?

Clearly someone messed up. P&O clearly thought they had the planes / charters, and Tui clearly thought they will still in Summer schedules. Its not clear who was at fault.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/24/2023 at 11:02 AM, Megabear2 said:

I've noticed there are a very large number of these Caribbean cruises this year stating cruise only as well. I was told that flights are a problem for those too

The flights are not a problem. Keeping the flights within the prices you have paid is a problem

• Like 1

On 1/24/2023 at 10:50 AM, Bazrat said:

My trip in October on Arvia as been cancelled due to lack of flights back, they have offered us £50 pp onboard credit if we rebook with them before march, they have certainly pushed the boat out with that one.

I have not looked at the intinery of the sailing at all. But could you not have jumped off in Miami or Barbados and jumped a flight to NYC and gone back on QM2 assuming the dates lined up? With a portion of money back for the flight of course.  Just a thought.

42 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

The flights are not a problem. Keeping the flights within the prices you have paid is a problem

I actually meant flights were a problem for P&O.  These are sold as flight inclusive packages as a rule.  Assumedly some travel agents will invent packages of their own but as you say late booking a Caribbean flight is very expensive.

You mentioned to Bazrat an alternative way back. Two things: he works so time is restricted as he said further up and more importantly P&O have cancelled the entire cruise due to no charter being available.

New TA released this morning sailing on the 27th of Oct, itinerary changed slightly.

Managed to rebook, getting a better deal than we previously had.  Took the Select Price which turned out to be the same price as the previous saver fare, all in secured a balcony room on deck 15, and £700 OBC for the same price as my previous fare.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

I actually meant flights were a problem for P&O.  These are sold as flight inclusive packages as a rule.  Assumedly some travel agents will invent packages of their own but as you say late booking a Caribbean flight is very expensive.

You mentioned to Bazrat an alternative way back. Two things: he works so time is restricted as he said further up and more importantly P&O have cancelled the entire cruise due to no charter being available.

Correct me if I’m wrong which I probably am but P&O selling these as fly cruises when in fact they haven’t got any flights organised is that not mis-selling a product 

Edited by Mollag

52 minutes ago, Mollag said:

Correct me if I’m wrong which I probably am but P&O selling these as fly cruises when in fact they haven’t got any flights organised is that not mis-selling a product 

They are advertised as cruise only.  Some of them have nothing beside them either way so booking on line you need to check.  My comment refers to how P&O are unable to offer flights so assumedly are losing trade that they would have had less problem selling if they'd been able to source flights.

The website makes it totally clear they are cruise only although I did a mock booking (discussed elsewhere) where it appeared to let me add a flight.  I called P&O for confirmation about this and it was they who confirmed that these were cruise only due to non availability of a flight via themselves.

No mis-selling just buyer beware and double check what's on offer.

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

They are advertised as cruise only.  Some of them have nothing beside them either way so booking on line you need to check.  My comment refers to how P&O are unable to offer flights so assumedly are losing trade that they would have had less problem selling if they'd been able to source flights.

The website makes it totally clear they are cruise only although I did a mock booking (discussed elsewhere) where it appeared to let me add a flight.  I called P&O for confirmation about this and it was they who confirmed that these were cruise only due to non availability of a flight via themselves.

No mis-selling just buyer beware and double check what's on offer.

I realise they’re selling some cruises as cruise only but was the original TA that has been cancelled sold as cruise only?

44 minutes ago, Mollag said:

I realise they’re selling some cruises as cruise only but was the original TA that has been cancelled sold as cruise only?

Yes but it was cancelled entirely as there were no flights. Now on sale as a new cruise 2 weeks later with the flights.  Money refunded as necessary plus £50 compensation.  Replacement now on sale.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mollag said:

They are down to the airline to inform them of availability, you cannot really blame p&o if the airline says they cannot honour there part

2 hours ago, Mollag said:

No it was sold as a repositioning cruise so flights back was part of the package,

we have rebooked for the 27th October for more obc and a slightly less cost so happy with the outcome.

• Like 7

I'm onboard Iona this coming Saturday and thinking of booking this Arvia Transatlantic Caribbean 27th October 2023. Can anyone please tell me the booking onboard benefits? I'm looking to book a select fare balcony. I'm solo but cannot see any solo balconies on P&O website for this cruise? I'll book a double balcony if no singles available. Thanks 

1 minute ago, swanseaboy said:

I'm onboard Iona this coming Saturday and thinking of booking this Arvia Transatlantic Caribbean 27th October 2023. Can anyone please tell me the booking onboard benefits? I'm looking to book a select fare balcony. I'm solo but cannot see any solo balconies on P&O website for this cruise? I'll book a double balcony if no singles available. Thanks 

You should get the low deposit of £50pp plus extra OBC. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

They are down to the airline to inform them of availability, you cannot really blame p&o if the airline says they cannot honour there part

Surely before they advertise they should ask the airline about availability. From what I read the airline is still in summer schedule so P&O should have known that.When I was in business if I advertised a product for sale it was entirely up to me to check it was available and in fact order it before I took any orders.Excuses are being made for P&O dearly when in fact they should be brought to task to stop making stupid mistakes.

Edited by Yorkypete
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, swanseaboy said:

We were on Iona earlier this month and booked another whilst onboard. (Select, balcony) 

We got an extra £100 obc and £50 pp deposit. Can't say about benefits for solo travellers though.

Hope it works out well for you.

Enjoy your cruise on Iona.

36 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

Surely before they advertise they should ask the airline about availability. From what I read the airline is still in summer schedule so P&O should have known that.When I was in business if I advertised a product for sale it was entirely up to me to check it was available and in fact order it before I took any orders.Excuses are being made for P&O dearly when in fact they should be brought to task to stop making stupid mistakes.

From what people have been saying on other sites everything was fine till the airline decided that they couldn't supply the aircrafts. 

2 hours ago, Bazrat said:

No it was sold as a repositioning cruise so flights back was part of the package,

we have rebooked for the 27th October for more obc and a slightly less cost so happy with the outcome.

That’s fair enough then glad you got sorted. Every time we done the TA from the Caribbean flights were always included that’s what’s confused me. I’m not so sure about who’s to blame in the 30 years working at the airport the schedules always changed the weekends the clocks changed so nothing new. 

4 minutes ago, carlanthony24 said:

From what people have been saying on other sites everything was fine till the airline decided that they couldn't supply the aircrafts. 

But the airline would’ve have known since they released the summer schedule that these a/c weren’t available I reckon P&O have just assumed they were not realising they were already tied up

13 minutes ago, Mollag said:

But the airline would’ve have known since they released the summer schedule that these a/c weren’t available I reckon P&O have just assumed they were not realising they were already tied up

Nothing new to when it was pre covid. TUI end up using the Dreamliner on short haul routes and have been able to cope before. We will never know I guess.