Noro On Board, And Yet People Still....

SargassoPirate

6 hours ago, suzyed said:

I haven't had it but DH got it, we believe from the market in Tahiti (just one more reason we are not thrilled with Tahiti.) Once he got it, it seems others did too...perhaps from the market also or one of the many food trucks on the pier.  There didn't seem to be a problem onboard until after Tahiti....so I  blame that. Fortunately it only lasts a few days but UGH!
We actually were delayed disembarking and had to wait for the CDC to come on and inspect.

Instead of Noro, could that have been food poisoning?

4 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

We used to call that the Green Apple Quick Step when I was a kid.  

She Who Must Be Obeyed carries a little medical kit with her for travel and I bring it along when I travel alone, but I've never needed it so far.  Some chewable Pepto tablets, some throat lozenges, some lysine in the event of a cold sore, some antiseptic cream, a few bandaids, and an emergency dental kit.  If we are traveling on land in a third world country we add a suture kit and some super glue for lacerations (more sanitary the local shaman and most "hospitals")

I agree, I wouldn't report to sick bay unless it was serious, especially at the risk of a huge medical bill or quarantine.

Do you know how many noro cases are OB?  Question from @Jagajak1

12 hours ago, MissP22 said:

The one case we heard about was quarantined in their own cabin. I suspect they would still quarantine large numbers in dedicated cabins.

We had the sniffles at the end of our cruise but didn't go to medical for fear of being quarantined for the rest of our .

They sometimes over react to any symptoms. 

Thanks for that info.  

No official word on the number of cases. The crew is mum when I inquire.

I did walk all of the inside corridors this morning  for exercise, for exercise, and saw only three quarantine tables in front of cabin doors. 

I'm not worried while on board and if I were boarding Friday I wouldn't be worried either.  Just don't stick anything in your mouth - fingers or food - unless your hands are clean after touching any contaminated surface.  Here's a hint - you can't tell a contaminated surface from a sterile surface with your eyeballs.

Good luck and safe/healthy cruising to all.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

We used to call that the Green Apple Quick Step when I was a kid.  

She Who Must Be Obeyed carries a little medical kit with her for travel and I bring it along when I travel alone, but I've never needed it so far.  Some chewable Pepto tablets, some throat lozenges, some lysine in the event of a cold sore, some antiseptic cream, a few bandaids, and an emergency dental kit.  If we are traveling on land in a third world country we add a suture kit and some super glue for lacerations (more sanitary the local shaman and most "hospitals")

I agree, I wouldn't report to sick bay unless it was serious, especially at the risk of a huge medical bill or quarantine.

My daughter is a nurse, she says the only time she would present to the medical centre on a ship was if a bone was sticking out of her arm or leg.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Gwendy said:

My daughter is a nurse, she says the only time she would present to the medical centre on a ship was if a bone was sticking out of her arm or leg.

They would take her off the ship and send her to the hospital.  They don’t set bones or do orthopedic surgery.

Cruise over!

3 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

No official word on the number of cases. The crew is mum when I inquire.

I did walk all of the inside corridors this morning  for exercise, for exercise, and saw only three quarantine tables in front of cabin doors. 

I'm not worried while on board and if I were boarding Friday I wouldn't be worried either.  Just don't stick anything in your mouth - fingers or food - unless your hands are clean after touching any contaminated surface.  Here's a hint - you can't tell a contaminated surface from a sterile surface with your eyeballs.

Good luck and safe/healthy cruising to all.

Well put!

Cheers

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gwendy said:

I agree....I am also a nurse.

• Haha 1

Good advice. We've been on 32 cruise and so far the only time anyone got Noro was on the plane flying down to the cruise. Luckily we arrived 5 days before the cruise so had a chance to recuperate after visiting the hospital a couple times and getting medication to stop the affects. I always bring these meds with us now, just in case. Both are prescription only but given how well they work, its worth being prepared. See links below for each.

Lomotil  and Histantil

• Thanks 1

Back to noro, before and after my recent cruise I stayed at the Embassy Suites in Fort Lauderdale.  It's easy to see how noro gets on cruise ships.  Evidently lots of cruisers stay at the hotel and there was even a Princess desk in the lobby.  There were long lines down a corridor to board buses to the cruise ships.  I saw Princess and Celebrity tags on the luggage.

As I sat in the atrium for breakfast and the E-spot for the evening reception, I had ample opportunity to observe food service staff and their food handling practices.

Evidently, someone at Hilton/Embassy Suites believes that the rubber gloves have some sort of magic disinfecting properties because I saw them in use by all of the workers.  At breakfast, there were barriers and glove wearing workers had to hand you everything - even pre-packaged foods and fruit that would be peeled.  They did so while wearing the magic gloves, which also touched multiple non-food contact surfaces such as tables and chairs, their hair, their cellphone, their face, as well as food - such as muffins, rolls, and bagels.  I watched the people on the cook-to-order line touching multiple surfaces and then food, all while wearing the magic gloves.

The hotel never suffers.  Folks pick up noro at the hotel, board their cruise, and it becomes a cruise line problem.

As for me, after watching their food handling practices while I enjoyed a morning coffee, I ate only re-packaged cereal and bananas while staying there.  No noro problems on my cruise or when I returned home.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Back to noro, before and after my recent cruise I stayed at the Embassy Suites in Fort Lauderdale.  It's easy to see how noro gets on cruise ships.  Evidently lots of cruisers stay at the hotel and there was even a Princess desk in the lobby.  There were long lines down a corridor to board buses to the cruise ships.  I saw Princess and Celebrity tags on the luggage.

As I sat in the atrium for breakfast and the E-spot for the evening reception, I had ample opportunity to observe food service staff and their food handling practices.

Evidently, someone at Hilton/Embassy Suites believes that the rubber gloves have some sort of magic disinfecting properties because I saw them in use by all of the workers.  At breakfast, there were barriers and glove wearing workers had to hand you everything - even pre-packaged foods and fruit that would be peeled.  They did so while wearing the magic gloves, which also touched multiple non-food contact surfaces such as tables and chairs, their hair, their cellphone, their face, as well as food - such as muffins, rolls, and bagels.  I watched the people on the cook-to-order line touching multiple surfaces and then food, all while wearing the magic gloves.

The hotel never suffers.  Folks pick up noro at the hotel, board their cruise, and it becomes a cruise line problem.

As for me, after watching their food handling practices while I enjoyed a morning coffee, I ate only re-packaged cereal and bananas while staying there.  No noro problems on my cruise or when I returned home.

Great data point.  Thanks for all of this.

Cheers

• Like 1