Newbie Question - Shuttles to town from Ports

Ekelley8804

Does Azamara still provide shuttle service to town from cruise ports? This was one of the major reasons why we booked with Azamara because my mother has mobility issues and then after our booking the fine print mentioned that shuttles may be suspended due to covid. This seems a little odd/off to me, what is the difference between offering excursions where we shuttle together vs the complimentary shuttle to town? Maybe we won't even need a shuttle though? I haven't been to any of these particular ports. Our cruise is April 1 Rome - Athens on Pursuit. The ports are Rome, Sorrento, Amalfi, Siracusa, Argastoli, Olympia(Katakolon), Chania/Crete, and Athens. 

Also, does anyone have any suggestions of getting from Rome to the cruise port? I've come to realize it is over an hour away, if not almost 2 hours.

33 minutes ago, Ekelley8804 said:

Does Azamara still provide shuttle service to town from cruise ports? This was one of the major reasons why we booked with Azamara because my mother has mobility issues and then after our booking the fine print mentioned that shuttles may be suspended due to covid. This seems a little odd/off to me, what is the difference between offering excursions where we shuttle together vs the complimentary shuttle to town? Maybe we won't even need a shuttle though? I haven't been to any of these particular ports. Our cruise is April 1 Rome - Athens on Pursuit. The ports are Rome, Sorrento, Amalfi, Siracusa, Argastoli, Olympia(Katakolon), Chania/Crete, and Athens. 

Also, does anyone have any suggestions of getting from Rome to the cruise port? I've come to realize it is over an hour away, if not almost 2 hours.

It is certainly about an hour. To be 2 hours would seem to involve a serious traffic problem. That could happen but not likely. It never hurts to factor that possibility in.

RomeCabs has a lot of fans and they have never disappointed us.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Ekelley8804 said:

To me it makes absolutely no sense to take one of the excursions to Rome from Civitavecchia.  Assume that your port time is 8:00 to 5:00 which means that you theoretically have 9 hours in port except that you will hopefully get off the ship and onto the buses by 8:30 and have to be back at the ship by 4:30 at the latest.  That means that you have a total of 8 hours tour time.  The bus rides to and from Rome will be 3 to 4 hours leaving you 4 to 5 hours to see all of Rome.  Does this pay or make any sense.  

I have never done a cruise w a Rome port stop as the few times we were in Rome we were there for several days but I have to assume that there are places closer to Civitavecchia that are worth seeing.  If you want to "see" Rome don't do it off a cruise.

DON

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

To me it makes absolutely no sense to take one of the excursions to Rome from Civitavecchia.  Assume that your port time is 8:00 to 5:00 which means that you theoretically have 9 hours in port except that you will hopefully get off the ship and onto the buses by 8:30 and have to be back at the ship by 4:30 at the latest.  That means that you have a total of 8 hours tour time.  The bus rides to and from Rome will be 3 to 4 hours leaving you 4 to 5 hours to see all of Rome.  Does this pay or make any sense.  

I have never done a cruise w a Rome port stop as the few times we were in Rome we were there for several days but I have to assume that there are places closer to Civitavecchia that are worth seeing.  If you want to "see" Rome don't do it off a cruise.

DON

Hi Don,

Sorry, maybe I miscommunicated. We get on the ship in Rome (Civitavecchia) and we will be spending a couple days in Rome ahead of time. So because of that, in the second part of that post, I was asking about transportation from Rome to the cruise port. Being an Azamara newbie, I wasn't sure what the best options were. Thank you for taking time to reply!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ekelley8804 said:

In November, I used Civitavecchia Shuttle Express to get from the airport to Rome and then Rome to the ship. They were fabulous.  The driver was always early and very professional.

https://www.civitavecchiashuttleexpress.com/

• Thanks 1

You won’t need a shuttle in Amalfi as the ship docks very close to the town centre. I’ve not been to any of the other ports apart from Athens.

Athens is a bit like Rome in that the ship docks at Pireus which is about 45 minutes from Athens centre. It is likely that Azamara will offer an airport transfer and also possibly a hotel transfer, but for three of you a taxi would probably be cheaper.

You can get the train from Rome to Civitavecchia, but if your mother has mobility issues a taxi or a booked transfer might be best. 

Rome - you can take the train to Civiatveccia - and for the last mile I would recomend a taxi, that is allowed to enter the port area

Sorrento and Amalfi are tender ports

Argastoli, as far as I remeber no shuttle necessary but also not so much to explore

Olympia(Katakolon) - the ship ancors in Katakolon - you will need extra transportation to Olympia, 30 km away

Chania/Crete also a tender port

Athens, as already mentioned, there is a shuttle to the airport, that has to be payed.

In Sorrento there is a city run shuttle bus by the tender drop off point that you can take to the top of the hill. It’s a rather steep climb us and down.  It cost a few euro? Amalphi ‘s main square is straight ahead of the tender dock across the street.

The pursers desk has maps of the towns each morning. Some are good.. some not. I suggest research ahead of time. “Maps me” is a great app,. 
not sure what you mean by mobility issues.  the main part of these towns is flat. But walking would be involved to see the town. Lots of pedestrian only streets. Especially in Amalphi. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, nordski said:

It is certainly about an hour. To be 2 hours would seem to involve a serious traffic problem. That could happen but not likely. It never hurts to factor that possibility in.

RomeCabs has a lot of fans and they have never disappointed us.

I have used RomeCabs twice. They are great. 

Don't bother with the train between Rome and Civiatveccia unless you are travelling light. You will have to schlep your luggage on/off the train, and then again with a cab.

• Like 1

I'm going to offer a different perspective here. I lived in Europe for two years (2018-2020) and travelled extensively. I also went on three Med cruises with Azamara. I got very good at optimizing price versus convenience.

I followed one of Rick Steve's recommendations quite thoroughly: Spend money to save time. What that means in this context is don't waste precious port time waiting for a "free" shuttle or public transportation when an 10 euro Uber ride could save 30 minutes. While I'm waiting to get off the ship, I get on Uber and Lyft to see what the fares and waiting times are. And quite often I find the prices to be very reasonable for the time saved. I then book a rideshare for the the port right to the destination I want to see.

Here is an example from a couple of old posts of mine:

• Thanks 1

On 1/24/2023 at 5:09 PM, Ekelley8804 said:

A suggestion for Amalfi - take the little open topped bus up from the roundabout near the ferry ticket offices to Ravello & go to see the Villa Rufalo and it’s wonderful gardens. The bus was €5pp when we took it and very well worth it. Fantastic views.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1