Danube water levels 2023 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

2 hours ago, Vailguy said:

Nota. We are on a cruise from Regensburg to Budapest starting Oct 18. Do you think the current rains and predicted precipitation over the next week will have enough impact to raise the water levels? It's our first cruise and hoping to avoid busing.

Thanks - we really enjoy your posts.

Welcome to Cruisecritic. Happy to help.

It is currently still raining over Bavaria so some water for the tributaries and the Danube. Rain will stop and the weather improve, it appears that over the next three days the only rain that will help the Danube is coming via the Lech river. That sounds okay but not good enough to me. Really no idea what will be but I do not have a good feeling about the 18th. The authorities claim that low water will persist but they of course do not give enough details for us to judge for river cruising. The level at Pfelling differs from the forecast yet again so we cannot even look 36 hours into the future with real reliability.

Pfelling gauge at 246cm.

notamermaid

• Like 2

So just returned from our river cruise today from Budapest to Regensburg.  On serious not we had to be bused at two different spots and had a couple of excursions canceled the night before.  Each day into our journey we noticed considerable more coughing coming from fellow traveler's on the boat. By the end you begin to worry about the coughing and sitting on a bus for hours with these people. On my way home I to have developed this sore throat and cough.  Hopefully, it does not get worse!  On a plus note, the food was excellent as well as the staff.  You do see some beautiful sites but this trip is geared for an older crowd.  Our group laughed until our belly hurt but longed for a little faster pace activities and music.  If you are 60 you will be one of the youngest on the boat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

A big thank you and welcome to all the new posters here on the Danube. All the live reports are appreciated by those of us who will be cruising and want to know what to expect. 

Once you get home , unpacked and the laundry done, please post a cruise review. There are so many of us who travel vicariously and love to read all about your vacation. 

RB 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mucciano1 said:

So just returned from our river cruise today from Budapest to Regensburg.  On serious not we had to be bused at two different spots and had a couple of excursions canceled the night before.  Each day into our journey we noticed considerable more coughing coming from fellow traveler's on the boat. By the end you begin to worry about the coughing and sitting on a bus for hours with these people. On my way home I to have developed this sore throat and cough.  Hopefully, it does not get worse!  On a plus note, the food was excellent as well as the staff.  You do see some beautiful sites but this trip is geared for an older crowd.  Our group laughed until our belly hurt but longed for a little faster pace activities and music.  If you are 60 you will be one of the youngest on the boat.

We noticed the same increasing coughing during our Scenic Douro cruise in September.  Someone mentioned it to a crew member who reported that it happens on every cruise, as some people react to the dry air from the HVAC.  We did not develop 'the cough,' nor did we come down with anything.  Our son, meanwhile, flew out West to see the Grand Canyon and attend a concert in California and came home with a raging case of Covid.  [Too bad there isn't a luxury river cruise through the Grand Canyon  🤣]

• Like 1

Jazz sign me up GC one of my favourite places on earth (so far). 
For years there has been this, more like an allergy than an actual infection cough, when air con is involved we always thought it was because in the U.K. air con is definitely not the norm now of course - covid - is in the equation, so many Brits just return from anywhere abroad with that niggly or worse tickle, as happened on our recent Seine cruise. Although individuals must know when they are seeming to be infectious a little judicious self isolation would be appreciated by all and not hurt the person involved. Or is it - oh I can’t be thought to have ‘Covid’.

• Like 1

Amaverde will be docking and disembarking in Gönyű on Monday morning, not Komarom. Looks to be about a 90 minute transfer to the airport. Those getting off in Budapest are being accommodated overnight in the Marriott.

Pfelling gauge at 254cm. Better but not good enough.

The Treasures is still in Straubing. ETA is Budapest 18th October. Not sure if that is the original or the new one. Sounds "ambitious" to me as regards distance...

Budapest:

image.png.6f7984d18f57a1caca708e18a2771be2.png

notamermaid

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

We noticed the same increasing coughing during our Scenic Douro cruise in September.  Someone mentioned it to a crew member who reported that it happens on every cruise, as some people react to the dry air from the HVAC.  We did not develop 'the cough,' nor did we come down with anything.  Our son, meanwhile, flew out West to see the Grand Canyon and attend a concert in California and came home with a raging case of Covid.  [Too bad there isn't a luxury river cruise through the Grand Canyon  🤣]

Will some bad news today!  It has moved from my throat to my chest and head, and it is not from the HVAC.  It is confirmed as the one we will not mention.  No regrets, will always live life while I have life to live!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mucciano1 said:

Will some bad news today!  It has moved from my throat to my chest and head, and it is not from the HVAC.  It is confirmed as the one we will not mention.  No regrets, will always live life while I have life to live!

Curious to know what the current protocol is for this situation.  Are you still on the ship?  Perhaps not suitable for this thread but if you post elsewhere please let us know where so I can read about it!

I have the same tickly throat but no fever ...

12 hours ago, Mucciano1 said:

Get well soon.

A clear sky over the Danube this morning. Pfelling gauge at 255cm.

notamermaid

3 hours ago, Steerpike58 said:

Curious to know what the current protocol is for this situation.  Are you still on the ship?  Perhaps not suitable for this thread but if you post elsewhere please let us know where so I can read about it!

I have the same tickly throat but no fever ...

I am not on the boat.  My first symptoms developed on the last day of our journey.  Looking back now, I do remember a few people buying Ricola cough drops while we were on an excursion.  My wife is now developing the same cough and tickly throat.  Hope you stay well!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mucciano1 said:

I am not on the boat.  My first symptoms developed on the last day of our journey.  Looking back now, I do remember a few people buying Ricola cough drops while we were on an excursion.  My wife is now developing the same cough and tickly throat.  Hope you stay well!

I came home with a really bad cough, no voice....but no Covid. It never left my throat, and no sore throat either. One week of rest, cooler weather and I am fine with just a bit of cough left. Hope you recover quickly, and your wife only has the cough.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, wrl001 said:

Pfelling gauge at 255cm.  What does it need to be at for the AMASonata to sail all the way ?

for its current cruise? Doesn’t matter pfelling is north of vilshofen. Amasonata is headed to Budapest the limiting point  is the bend around komaron not pfelling

Most amawaterways trips never go as far as pfelling (a. Few do if they are going to Nuremberg or regensburg but most start or end at vilshofen which is where you are hearing about say Viking doing their transfers from)

Edited by CastleCritic

2 hours ago, Daisi said:

I came home with a really bad cough, no voice....but no Covid. It never left my throat, and no sore throat either. One week of rest, cooler weather and I am fine with just a bit of cough left. Hope you recover quickly, and your wife only has the cough.

In April, I had the same issue especially after traveling to Dallas for work but it turned out to be strep.

9 minutes ago, wrl001 said:

Sorry should have been more specific.  We are going from Nuremburg to Budapest in early December.  Was just trying to see if we are sailing or bussing. It's a fiftieth wedding anniversary cruise.

in that case if its over 300 no one will be talking about it, around 290 likely discussion of it being up to the captain.

That stretch hasn't liked to keep water all year, its gone from low to flood to low in what seems like the same week.

You'll sail most of the way there, Im sure, that IS a bit of an odd cruise for AMA like I said but I suspect at worst the ship will just never make it past Vilshofen and you might end up bussed straight there from Nuremberg or with a stopover of some length in Regensburg which Im sure was the day1 stop.  From there it should be a cruise. But there's a LOT of time before then so I wouldn't sweat it just yet.

Edited by CastleCritic

2 hours ago, CastleCritic said:

in that case if its over 300 no one will be talking about it, around 290 likely discussion of it being up to the captain.

That is a good succinct explanation.

2 hours ago, CastleCritic said:

That stretch hasn't liked to keep water all year, its gone from low to flood to low in what seems like the same week.

Yes, there was such a scenario briefly. It has been rather "interesting" (not in a good way) this autumn.

2 hours ago, wrl001 said:

We are going from Nuremburg to Budapest in early December. 

A good time normally, most likely far better than now, although there is a tiny risk of flooding for December. November into December should be the turning point for low water to disappear, if not before.

notamermaid

No change at Pfelling - 261cm. So some 110m ships sail this passage at the current level, the River Duchess is not the only one I spotted. One may assume that Komarom to Budapest should be no problem for them as such. But the Hungarian authorities can have a different policy to the German ones so it is not a given that they are allowed to dock or sail.

notamermaid

• Thanks 2

Had completely forgotten that an acquaintance is on a Viking Bucharest-Amsterdam cruise right now.  He just posted that they’re making a ship swap but it also sounded like they’ve been bussed around a bit.

• Thanks 2