Where can I find detailed info on Coco Cay?

Sun Lover

5 minutes ago, Sun Lover said:

Thanks so much for the suggestions.  For people who have been there, what area did you like best and which section do you think was most convenient?  I'd appreciate any tips you could give me.  

If you are looking at the map, there is a stretch of beach to the left of the beach club. We went there our last time in cococay and really liked it because it was convenient to the pool and nice and quiet.  For lunch we went to snack shack and had a chicken sandwich and funnel cake which were both good. There is also a large buffet in the middle of the island but there were fly’s everywhere so I definitely recommend snack shack over the buffet. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RobInMN said:

Honestly, I'd say Youtube videos.

This is an excellent starting point.  I'm attaching a nice map -- sorry it's in two pieces.  

2 hours ago, FlatFooted Freda said:

Or just ask specifics here. I bet there are readers here who’ve been there multiple times. It doesn’t seem to change much from year to year. 
I love Coco Cay BTW. I would not be unhappy if Royal stopped there twice per cruise. 

I'd love two stops per cruise, but that would mean double the ships and part of the appeal is that it isn't too crowded.  

5 minutes ago, Sun Lover said:

Thanks so much for the suggestions.  For people who have been there, what area did you like best and which section do you think was most convenient?  I'd appreciate any tips you could give me.  

This answer will depend up on what you like to do -- and whether you're going with the standard fare or paying for a cabana.  Personally, we were completely happy with what was free.  

We spent the day at Chill Beach and would do it again.  It's a fairly quiet spot close to rest rooms, shaded hammocks, and food/drink.  At the end of our day, we walked around the island -- we would consider South Beach too, though the beach isn't quite as nice.  It includes more activities.  We didn't particularly like the pool, as it was too loud -- someone who wants a party atmosphere might love it.  

Tips? 
- Get up and out early.  We were among the first who left the ship, and we got a front-row seat -- lots of late-comers were disappointed about that.  

- The beach is soft-sanded and free from shells and rocks; you don't need water shoes.  

- You'll find towel service on the island -- you can check out a towel or exchange for a fresh towel.  

- Consider bringing an insulated cup to keep your drink cool.  

- Note that drinks cost about $1 extra on the island; I think it's Bahamas VAT.  

- No breakfast is available on the island, so eat before you leave the ship.  Lunch opens about 11:30; drink service opens a little earlier.  

- My husband absolutely loved taking a nap in the shady hammocks. 

- If you want to buy anything, you need to bring cash -- the little shops are not run by RC, so your ship ID isn't useful for buying here.  

- If you have children, you can get a life jacket near the ship's pool /keep it all week, which includes bringing it to Coco Cay.  

Screenshot 2023-01-17 8.34.25 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-17 8.34.04 PM.png

• Like 1

Lots of life jackets on the island - you really don't need to lug one from the ship.  Towels can be exchanged for dry ones (much lighter) on the island.  Some folks have checked out towels there but this may or may not work.

This information is so helpful!  I'm wondering if we get there early and get chairs at a beach and then want to go have lunch or look around and go back to the chairs, would we just leave our towels on the chairs while we're gone?  I don't want to be charged $25 if we leave the towels and come back to find them gone.  And if we took the towels with us, then I'm sure the chairs would be taken when we came back.  What should we do?  Thanks so much for all the help!

21 minutes ago, LeeW said:

Lots of life jackets on the island - you really don't need to lug one from the ship.  Towels can be exchanged for dry ones (much lighter) on the island.  Some folks have checked out towels there but this may or may not work.

Lug?  That's an overstatement.  I'd prefer to get a life jacket for my grandson /adjust it to his size /hang onto it and not have to re-size another one for the week.  

11 minutes ago, Sun Lover said:

This information is so helpful!  I'm wondering if we get there early and get chairs at a beach and then want to go have lunch or look around and go back to the chairs, would we just leave our towels on the chairs while we're gone?  I don't want to be charged $25 if we leave the towels and come back to find them gone.  And if we took the towels with us, then I'm sure the chairs would be taken when we came back.  What should we do?  Thanks so much for all the help!

We had no problem leaving our towels, etc. on our chairs while we went into the water or to get lunch, but -- yes -- as soon as we picked up our towels to return to the ship, someone grabbed our front-row chairs right away.  

“ If you want to buy anything, you need to bring cash -- the little shops are not run by RC, so your ship ID isn't useful for buying here.”

————

Not exactly correct. The vendors at the straw market DO have credit card readers and you can use your SeaPass card to make purchases. It gets tacked on to your onboard account. We were there in Sept. 2021 on Harmony and Match 2021 on Odyssey.

2 hours ago, Sun Lover said:

We like South Beach.  It's a bit of a walk (or you can take the tram) but the beach is nice and there are tons of loungers with umbrellas.  Also has a swim up/wade up bar about 10 yards offshore.  

Another spot we like is the Wacky Seagull.  If you want to be out of the sun (or rain?) it has a nice railing with high bar stools facing the ocean that is under a solid roof.  It's a nice place to sit and enjoy a drink, read a book or people watch.  

View from a bar stool at the Wacky Seagull (from last month)

IMG_2165.JPG

• Like 1