Alyeska Resort town options

MickeyP

We are on a HAL 7 Day Land tour prior to our 7 day Southbound cruise. We have two nights at the Alyeska Resort. We have looked at the Girdwood web page searching for some ideas . Any suggestions besides taking the Tram ride? Thanks in advance.

Any suggestions besides taking the Tram ride? Thanks in advance.

Portage Glacier and Visitor Center might be worth a visit and not too far away..

We were on a HAL with a stop in Anchorage and shared a one day rental with friends.  We travelled the route from Anchorage and Portage Glacier was our turnaround point. Beautiful drive, one of the most scenic in N. America and quite a few sights and views to take in along the way. Of course, unless  you were doing that same route it wouldn't be the same on a shorter distance, but scenery apart, Portage is the one sight not far away from Alyeska which springs to mind.

We swung by Alyeska on our return hoping to take the aerial ride up but it was closed that day due to high winds.

I think that if you internet search with Portage or Anchorage to Portage as your keyword(s)  you may be surprised by the description of this scenic area and may discover other attractions which might also be of interest to you.

Edited by edinburgher

The tram is great. 

My other choice would be the Glacier Discovery Train. Catch it at Girdwood. You can go to Whittier for a 26 Glacier cruise on Phillips or continue onto Spencer Glacier for a nice walk or kayak trip or rafting trip or stay on the train to Grandview.

I also enjoy the Alyeska tram on a lovely day.  Views are incredible.

While it doesn't do much for me personally (but remember that I live in Alaska) the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center is also in close proximity.  Reviews are mixed with some folks thoroughly enjoying the experience.  A consideration.

We also had a stop there on our RCCL land tour (one night if I remember correctly).   We never left the resort, and enjoyed it very much.   It was a beautiful hotel (hard to find in Alaska) - and we did the tram ride, day hikes on trails on the resort property, and the pool / hot tub overlooking the window to the outdoor scenery.    Granted our plan did not have much local sightseeing but sometimes a relaxing day is good.  You won't have a nicer hotel property on your trip.

We are on a Celebrity land tour with a one night stop here this summer.  I'm trying to learn about what time we'll be getting to the resort as they have a nice restaurant there which is reservation only and I've heard it books up often.  Trouble is if you are late or a no show there is a $50 cancel fee charged to you so I want to make sure we make a reservation well after our arrival time.  Anyone recall when your tour arrived?  I know ours could be different but starting to research it now.

We visited the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center en route to Portage but none of the four of us enjoyed it for a number of reasons and it may be that reviews will be mixed for those same reasons.

On the other hand, we also stopped at Potter Marsh bird sancuary as the two we were with were twitchers and it was #1 on their to-do list of stops.  We didn't expect to enjoy that visit much at all as we have very little interest in birds,, but there were so many birds to watch that we actually did enjoy it.

For that reason i would recommend Potter Marsh over the Wildlikfe Conservation Center.

You said you are on a land tour so I am assuming you have no vehicle.  So, that will make it difficult to go beyond places from Girdwood unless you take the train, or an excursion which WILL pick you up at the Alyeska Hotel.  I'm a bit this way or that way on the 26 Glacier Cruise from Whittier if you are going to be on a cruise leaving from Whittier.  If you are not, I do suggest the 26 glacier cruise. I'm not against it even IF you are southbound from Whittier because the 26 GC is narrated and very interesting.  I'm just wondering how much overlap there will be in seeing the wildlife.  Make sure to bring your binoculars.  

You didn't say what your physical capabilities.  If you can hike at all, I'd take the tram but make sure to hike up to the glacier.  If you are relatively fit at all, you can do it and it's worth it.  To pay for the tram just to go up to the restaurant or museum/gift shop...I don't know that it would be worth it unless you get a really good price on the tram ticket.  

Right behind the Alyeska Hotel there is a great trail.  Ask for directions at the desk.  If you are fit, you can hike it all the way to the hand tram, even if the hand tram is not open, it's worth it.  You can hike in only a few hundred yards and it's amazing, so do that if you can.  

From the hotel, it's not far to town, but if you don't feel like walking you can take the free Girdwood shuttle.  For breakfast go to The Bake Shop and try their sourdough pancakes...probably the BEST I've had.  For Dinner we like Double Musky.  They open at 4pm and will get busy right away.  You can grab a beer or cider and sit outside in their cutesy waiting area.  Down the road a bit, still in Girdwood...if you like beer or homemade root beer you have to go to Girdwood Brewing.  They have food trucks most days and you can look that up online.  It's a fun place with a cool vibe.  I'm a senior and I go there everytime in Girdwood.  

Downtown, go into the Merchantile.  It's a grocery store but like days gone by.  Fun to just check it out.  Another restaurant recommendation is the Double Musky.  It will get busy.  Check their hours online and get there early.  You have to wait in line to get in.  Again, cool vibe and good food.  

Next to the Merchantile is a bar that serves really pretty good food, plus it's local so try that out.  Can't remember the name off hand, but it will be obvious.

Of course, enjoy staying at Alyeska and the salt water pool and the huge salt water walk in hot spa.  That will be included.  What is not included is the new spa.  I haven't brought myself to try it out because it's expensive.  I might sometime if for a special treat, but I'm not really a spa person, so I stick to the pool and spa at the hotel and I'm out of there in less than an hour...but that is me.   

I like sushi and Alyeska Hotel has a great sushi restaurant called Sakura.  If you like that, then go.  

If your hotel includes a breakfast, well then ok, eat there.  If not, go to The Bake Shop instead.  Your just eating at a hotel restaurant with so so breakfast.  One floor up from the Lobby you can grab some decent coffee, some pastry or a breakfast sandwich also.  I usually go there for my coffee, but there is a oool coffee place in town by the Merchantile if you want something other than grab and go.  

I think you can keep yourself busy in Girdwood if only a few days.  The town is cool.  Use that shuttle to get around and make sure to get out of the hotel!

On 1/25/2023 at 3:33 PM, MickeyP said:

We have two nights at the Alyeska Resort. We have looked at the Girdwood web page searching for some ideas. Any suggestions besides taking the Tram ride?

It is an isolated ski resort, not a city, so there are not going to be very many choices beyond those that are offered by the ski resort itself. Additionally, transportation could be a barrier to any non-resort choices.