Worst cruise ship shows ever. Meraviglia!

Cruise5life

2 minutes ago, Seadweller001 said:

"Saw Houdini last cruise.  It was a complete waste of time and $$$s.  The drinks were on a table coming into the room and warm, ice melted.  The show was amateurish.  I would not go again even if they paid me."

This is an example of diminished cruise experience, to which I referred. Last year, our Mera cruise had a band performing different cover sets each show. “Off the Record . . . On the Rocks” owned The Carousel Lounge everytime we saw them. If they were still on an MSC cruise, I'd gladly pay twice the onboard price of this year's shows and happily accept a lukewarm Budweiser Select 55™ for my "included" beverage.

Off-Record-On-Rocks.thumb.jpg.777762386f2ac72c54655b0de4694f6f.jpg
Photo credit to RWS Entertainment Group.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cruise5life said:

Lol.  Not one issue on NCL.   Great entertainments.   And no male vocal tracks used to fill in for a missing vocalist.    So no not every cruise line and ship.   

FYI - Have you seen or read the articles about NCL and their cutback in entertainment? Big time cuts of shows, staff and charging more for cabin cleaning and only making up cabins once a day? 

I am not against NCL as I cruise them each year. Just letting you know things are changing and not for the best. 

I cruise many lines and read many CC forums. I can provide the article about NCL if interested. Came out in the news this week. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Oxo said:

FYI - Have you seen or read the articles about NCL and their cutback in entertainment? Big time cuts of shows, staff and charging more for cabin cleaning and only making up cabins once a day? 

I am not against NCL as I cruise them each year. Just letting you know things are changing and not for the best. 

I cruise many lines and read many CC forums. I can provide the article about NCL if interested. Came out in the news this week. 

I have it’s been out a few weeks and I have a video of the cruise director explaining it during a behind the scene theater show. Last week.   
I can’t post because the wifi is terrible unfortunately while on the ship.    

Edited by Cruise5life

15 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Why is that?

Speaking for myself, G.P., I'd prefer MSC to maintain the European flavor, with which they arrived. However, it has been getting cut away since the return to cruising.

For example, on cruises of 7-days or longer, during a sea day, they would have a one-off matinee show of a truncated opera. To my knowledge, no MSC cruise from the US has continued this custom since the restart. (If anyone has cruised from the US and seen an abbreviated opera, please advise.)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, no1talks said:

Speaking for myself, G.P., I'd prefer MSC to maintain the European flavor, with which they arrived. However, it has been getting cut away since the return to cruising.

For example, on cruises of 7-days or longer, during a sea day, they would have a one-off matinee show of a truncated opera. To my knowledge, no MSC cruise from the US has continued this custom since the restart. (If anyone has cruised from the US and seen an abbreviated opera, please advise.)

Our sea day yesterday.      

C9E05161-E692-4D05-8583-E9C8DF3CD0FE.jpeg

3 minutes ago, no1talks said:

Thank you for the reply, Cruise5life.

It is as I feared: Buh-bye opera; hello belly flop.

We still have another sea day Saturday.    
ill gladly post it up.    

Time to see how these free shows are.     

stay tuned. Lol 

669FB3DD-6CA4-4747-91CD-3C1502E7FF63.png

5 hours ago, no1talks said:

Quite a number of recent reports make me wonder if I made a mistake by booking an MSC cruise out of an US-port. Are those cruises really that different from the ones in Europe?

If all this, like belly flop instead of opera, is the Americanisation some on this boards ask for, I want good old Italian MSC back.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, carlmm said:

Quite a number of recent reports make me wonder if I made a mistake by booking an MSC cruise out of an US-port. Are those cruises really that different from the ones in Europe?

If all this, like belly flop instead of opera, is the Americanisation some on this boards ask for, I want good old Italian MSC back.

If you mean corny high school musicals.   
they still have them.   So you should be good.   Lol.  

10 hours ago, no1talks said:

I also love the European style. We saw the mini opera on Seashore last year. It was my first!  Very good points!

• Like 3

I expect the entertainment on a cruise to be on par with what I paid for the cruise. I don't pay anywhere near the price of an NCL cruise when I sail on MSC, so I don't expect the entertainment to be nearly as good. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, richs52 said:

I expect the entertainment on a cruise to be on par with what I paid for the cruise. I don't pay anywhere near the price of an NCL cruise when I sail on MSC, so I don't expect the entertainment to be nearly as good. 

Yeah. Well I’d expect better than a high school musical performance.    That’s for sure.  Lolol.   
and I can’t imagine tonight’s 

cruise ship crew variety show to be any better.     
But I’ll go. Sit in the back for easy access to walk out like I did last night.  

I usually always get a front row seat at shows like I did on every show on NCL last week.    

MSC Not so much.  

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I also love the European style. We saw the mini opera on Seashore last year. It was my first!  Very good points!

My first opera was one of those afternoon ones on the Divina....I think it was in 2015....out of Miami.

Although I don't cruise for the shows (I live 15 minutes from B'way) I do enjoy them.  As long as a singer can carry a tune....and a dancer doesn't fall on her face....I'm good.  Anything, and I mean anything, is better than the passengers being the entertainment (think those games on NCL and CCL).

Who knows....maybe the Belly Flop game with be a Belly Dancing Competition. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

My first opera was one of those afternoon ones on the Divina....I think it was in 2015....out of Miami.

Although I don't cruise for the shows (I live 15 minutes from B'way) I do enjoy them.  As long as a singer can carry a tune....and a dancer doesn't fall on her face....I'm good.  Anything, and I mean anything, is better than the passengers being the entertainment (think those games on NCL and CCL).

You mean like the belly flop contest here on msc ? 

these passenger involved events should in no way effect the actual live entertainment on a cruise ship.   

it’s something to do during the day at the pool.   
every cruise line has something like this.  
mot eats up time during the day.   

id take a good belly dance comp too.  Lol 

3EB80A96-71D4-453D-9850-B1D13462F5ED.jpeg

11 hours ago, no1talks said:

Thank you for the reply, Cruise5life.

Yes the US MSC cruise experience is an entirely different experience. 
I was disappointed to see that they do the stupid belly flop thing by the pool too.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Hate to disappoint you but on Divina 11/2021 they did a few of the “passengers were the entertainment” type games in the Black and White Lounge.  That and karaoke was the late night entertainment 

An example.

Their version of a “Not so” Newlywed game where an older woman was running a ball up the inside of one of her husband’s pant legs across the middle where she took her time feeling him up…and down the other leg to the hoots and hollering of the masses. (We only had 490 passengers on board so that was a joke) 
So yea…their attempt to give the American cruisers what they think we like is happening. 

What they don’t realize is many of us, including me cruised with MSC in Europe first and we are expecting  to have that same on board experience on their ships in the states.
That’s why I liked our European cruise so much it was different. It wasn’t like NCL or HAL or any of the other lines we cruise with. 

If we want to be entertained with the silly stuff I’ll go on one of the lines where that stuff was invented. 

We enjoyed and respected the singers and dancers in the theater on Divina a few weeks ago. 
The costumes were beautiful, 3 of the 4 singers were fantastic and I’ve recently learned that one of the male singers also sings opera. (on European sailings)

But each show always felt like with a little bit of tweaking, they could be as good as the shows on their competition. 
I don’t blame the performers for that at all. They’re doing what they’re being told. This group of dancers were excellent. It had nothing to do with their lack of talent at all. It was the production that fell short. 

But MSC is a LOT less expensive than the others on some sailings. 

Edited by styles27
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, no1talks said:

Sounds ugly. In 2022 the Virtuosa had the La Traviata in Dubai in January and also in northern Europe in November. Different singers, the ones in Dubai were good, the ones in Europe absolutely gorgeous.

And MSC praised themselves intensively for being the only cruise company that still offers this to their customers 🙂

We went to both of the Carousel shows when on the Mera in November. Funnily enough, at that time there was no female vocalist but there was a male one. My husband commented on the fact and thought it was poor not to have an actual singer. We still enjoyed the shows but didn’t think they were any better than free shows on other lines. (I do remember one of the guys messing up the skipping routine!)