Our S2S Adventure - Freedom / Spirit (with pics) - 1/7/23

Jamman54

We are approaching the pier. The Carnival Sunrise has been here since 7am. However, their debarkation has stopped, and the pier cleared of all passengers until we are fully docked and tied up……

i-gHXQNFC-X2.jpg

i-n7kTVTj-X2.jpg

i-ZQM52r2-X2.jpg

i-Xr8gtwg-X2.jpg

Here are a few views of the upper decks of the Carnival Sunrise……

i-g4n2hMq-X2.jpg

i-H3jFvM3-X2.jpg

i-ftpTDpv-X2.jpg

i-sZggCXg-X2.jpg

The Spirit is slowing gliding into her berth. You can see that the workers have made a lot of progress in the last six days on the pier repair…..

i-MgGMP3t-X2.jpg

i-r8FMC7h-X2.jpg

i-RDX8JqZ-X2.jpg

To be continued……

• Like 8

We continue to watch from our balcony as the Spirit eases into her berth…..

i-T3TnsRm-X2.jpg

i-tPd8jMZ-X2.jpg

i-m4tV3H3-X2.jpg

i-trCpMq6-X2.jpg

i-QZr3Tx5-X2.jpg

i-jBGRBDK-X2.jpg

i-FF5Dmd8-X2.jpg

i-vwwQB2Q-X2.jpg

The dockworkers secure the bowlines…..

i-M4p8Mgp-X2.jpg

i-b9VKVPC-X2.jpg

We are docked at 8:15am. Debarkation resumes on the Sunrise…..

i-FzLD9Ft-X2.jpg

To be continued…..

• Like 10

The Spirit is cleared for passengers to go ashore at 8:45am. We are in no hurry to get off the ship. We figure to spend two to three hours at Jack’s Shack, and with the Sunrise leaving at 2pm, and we leaving at 6:30pm, it will be less crowded this afternoon. We decided to head up to the Lido for a leisurely breakfast.

Afterwards, I decided to head over to the Red Frog Rum Bar, and Patti was going to take pictures from on top of the bridge all the way forward on Deck 9……

i-pCk2xTh-X2.jpg

i-VDW9pVT-X2.jpg

This is the ship's bell.....

i-TCwdNvT-X2.jpg

Patti’s camera has an amazing zoom so she’s going to have some fun with it. Here’s a view of the island on the right side of the pier…..

i-GdDJsDP-X2.jpg

She zooms out to the conch graveyard…..

i-ZkmRQq5-X2.jpg

i-zJsMFvf-X2.jpg

Here are a couple of views of the beached whale…..

i-v3qjds4-X2.jpg

i-4vQvqVf-X2.jpg

Here are a few of the Friendship 7 exhibit…..

i-BtXTQ8R-X2.jpg

i-Jztw72m-X2.jpg

To be continued…….

• Like 10

Here is the pier leading to the island…..

i-BZPVdhV-X2.jpg

i-Q4RrB96-X2.jpg

Here are a couple shots of the beach in front of Margaritaville…..

i-FLNzKKP-X2.jpg

i-rSgzrwF-X2.jpg

Patti zooms into the pool in Margaritaville, and right into our Grand Turk vacation home…..

i-9HShSjr-X2.jpg

i-2xJgrcH-X2.jpg

i-6VhzhHr-X2.jpg

Here are some views of the pier from the bridge wing…..

i-QR22S58-X2.jpg

i-jkdHFdt-X2.jpg

i-cc4wGX8-X2.jpg

i-77cFtPp-X2.jpg

To be continued…..

• Like 12

Patti makes her way down to the Red Frog Rum Bar to retrieve me and we make our way back to the cabin. There we find that the laundry that Patti sent out yesterday has been returned……

i-PKr4Ff3-X2.jpg

i-jQsS2Bg-X2.jpg

i-Tpks6kk-X2.jpg

We hung out for a while, and around noon we left the ship…..

i-GNrQTZh-X2.jpg

i-3v6CghD-X2.jpg

i-rnQMR7v-X2.jpg

i-cCV3Mcx-X2.jpg

Patti had taken a gazillion pictures when we were here on the Freedom just six days ago, so she won’t be repeating that today. If you need a refresher, please go back to post # 195. As we passed through Margaritaville on our way to Jack’s Shack, she took this picture of our Grand Turk vacation home, which today is unoccupied…..

i-87MD8qP-X2.jpg

Patti and I are heading down the beach to Jack’s Shack…..

i-xWQFRkk-X2.jpg

To be continued…..

• Like 10

We have made it to Jack’s Shack……

i-CLRhbSw-X2.jpg

i-QkZDRbp-X2.jpg

Again, Patti took a multitude of pictures here six days ago showing all the improvements that the new owners have made here. They have really done a great job of upgrading the place. For a refresher see post # 203.

We pay $23 for an umbrella and two loungers. We got settled in and immediately noticed that there were still dogs hanging around here…..

i-886d7G8-X2.jpg

i-7grqBmk-X2.jpg

i-JSQ7NsN-X2.jpg

Here’s a view looking down the beach towards Margaritaville…..

i-22ZfWvx-X2.jpg

Here we see the Sunrise and Spirit docked in Grand Turk…..

i-msFNt4V-X2.jpg

The beach here is much nicer than by Margaritaville as there aren’t any rocks. Here I am enjoying the water…..

i-Q6hFMHW-X2.jpg

i-VcW62Ng-X2.jpg

Here are a few views of me and the ships…..

i-97Qm4cw-X2.jpg

i-scD5wNq-X2.jpg

To be continued……

• Like 18

Patti gets me a beer and brings it down to the edge of the water to me. This process was repeated a few times over the next hour or so…..

i-h9mkgK7-X2.jpg

We noticed that the place was now pretty empty since the people from the Sunrise had to get back to their ship. We thought that this was a good time to order our lunch. The process here is to order your food at the bar, pay for it, and then you pick it up at the window. That seems easy enough, but this is where we began to run into a problem. Even though there were only a couple of people at the bar, the two bartenders were completely inattentive. I practically had to beg them to put our order in and get us a couple of drinks. Even with that, I gave him a good tip, which he never acknowledged or said thank you for.

Both guys spent the whole time with their faces buried in their phones. Plates and glasses from people that had left a while ago were left on the bar. I had to clean two spots for Patti and I to sit at. Jack and Janet would not have put up with this! Anyway, here are the drink and food menus…..

i-bbZX8HX-X2.jpg

i-WFghhzq-X2.jpg

i-nkV6vTS-X2.jpg

For lunch Patti had a cheeseburger and I had the jerked chicken and conch fritter combo. The food was very good……

i-shzPkV3-X2.jpg

While we were eating, the Sunrise backed away from the pier, spun around, and headed out to sea…..

i-6HH7M8K-X2.jpg

i-MXSjK74-X2.jpg

i-RJNWXqX-X2.jpg

i-GbdQfDw-X2.jpg

i-Z93HpTG-X2.jpg

i-g5p75RB-X2.jpg

i-stS2PpD-X2.jpg

To be continued….

• Like 12

Once again I had to pull some teeth, but I was blessed to receive another beer. I was done when the two of them started drinking shots while other people were trying to get drinks. We don’t think we will return here unless we read some glowing reviews in the future. We decide to head back to the ship. Patti poses with the sign…..

i-KqmrP9P-X2.jpg

Here are a couple of views of the Spirit as we walked back to Margaritaville…..

i-f82pZqH-X2.jpg

i-gVv4ChF-X2.jpg

We still have three hours before we sail but Margaritaville is becoming a ghost town…..

i-GZK8tJh-X2.jpg

i-KKjdLTD-X2.jpg

i-nLcTrsr-X2.jpg

i-M7tdc8f-X2.jpg

As we walk out on the pier Patti looks left and takes a couple of pictures of the beached whale…..

i-74VdRZZ-X2.jpg

i-84NdGqH-X2.jpg

We have made it back to the Spirit. Our cabin is on Deck 7 in the middle of the second picture…..

i-SSNxLSC-X2.jpg

i-ZrDH8xm-X2.jpg

To be continued…..

• Like 10

We showered and relaxed in our cabin until sail away. Here are a couple of shots of the deserted Grand Turk Cruise Center……

i-p9ZbXWx-X2.jpg

i-4n9twgk-X2.jpg

The workers repairing the pier are done for the day……

i-9ZZq9mk-X2.jpg

We did have a couple of pier runners…..

i-fpChzrN-X2.jpg

Tonight, we started with Deal or No Deal hosted by our Cruise Director Todd. As usual we got our 3 for $50 cards…..

i-9p8KBcW-X2.jpg

i-fvx6ZJ3-X2.jpg

We didn’t get selected, but this contestant had the worst luck. We wound up winning a $25 bingo package…..

i-pnfqq7Q-X2.jpg

i-VNJqdnx-X2.jpg

i-q6TxxH9-X2.jpg

i-gQgrRFW-X2.jpg

i-tvws2G2-X2.jpg

To be continued…..

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

Patti loved the Egyptian décor…..

i-RGWh2H7-X2.jpg

We were hungry so we went up to Lido and made ourselves some plates…..

i-2XVV27h-X2.jpg

i-BMXn4z6-X2.jpg

i-ngt9nXF-X2.jpg

From there I went to watch the Cowboys / Bucs playoff game on the Lido screen…..

i-DtRTH3S-X2.jpg

i-hLMrt47-X2.jpg

i-MXW4rXW-X2.jpg

Patti walked around the ship taking pictures of all the musical acts before heading back to the cabin. The Art Shake Violin Trio is playing in the Spirit Lobby…..

i-N4z8bPN-X2.jpg

Danilo is playing his guitar at the Alchemy Bar…..

i-brdZT84-X2.jpg

Martin is holding court at the Shanghai Piano Bar…..

i-hRPgXnS-X2.jpg

Music Power is rocking the Red Frog Pub…..

i-8FzVK2X-X2.jpg

I watched the football game until halftime, and then headed down to the Alchemy Bar where Giovanni makes me a nightcap. Here is tonight’s towel animal and our Diamond Lunch invitations…..

i-RWkzTdQ-X2.jpg

Coming up next: Another relaxing sea day!

• Like 10

That is really sad about the poor service at Jack's Shack, but unfortunately I think it is more the "norm" in today's society.

Workers today do not seem to have the same work ethic that we "mature" older adults had when working.

The water down there is definitely much nicer than closer to the ships and so very relaxing!

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, 300dtc said:

Jeff, thanks for this double review…great as always! Do you remember the beer prices at Jacks? We are getting on the Spirit next Saturday 🥳

Thanks for reading Maryann!  I was drinking Turks Head and I believe they were $6. By the bucket is probably cheaper. Enjoy your cruise on the Spirit! :classic_cool:

25 minutes ago, pirate4me2 said:

That is so disappointing about the service at Jack's! We have always loved that place. I'll probably walk down and try it out at least once, but if I get the same level of service as you and Patti I probably won't return. 

Hey Stephanie! I've been reading recent reviews online, and the biggest complaint by far is the service by the bartenders. One person stated that they waited for twenty minutes before getting up and leaving. The second biggest complaint says that per the website chairs are free and the umbrellas are $10. Everyone stated they were charged $23. We were too, but I didn't know about what was stated on the website. I didn't think that was too much, but they should change it on the website. :classic_ohmy:

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, pe4all said:

Will be interested in what you thought of the Diamond Lunch.  We did not attend ours on Spirit.  

That will be coming up in the next segment. Really, they are all the same with the same menu, which I understand is going to change every several months in the future. We did meet some Cruise Critic people this time which is always fun. :classic_cool:

Edited by Jamman54
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

Hey Stephanie! I've been reading recent reviews online, and the biggest complaint by far is the service by the bartenders. One person stated that they waited for twenty minutes before getting up and leaving. The second biggest complaint says that per the website chairs are free and the umbrellas are $10. Everyone stated they were charged $23. We were too, but I didn't know about what was stated on the website. I didn't think that was too much, but they should change it on the website. :classic_ohmy:

Jeff - Thanks so much for making your way down the beach to Jack's! It has always been our "go to" place in Grand Turk - the beach and the water are so much nicer than by Margaritaville. When we visited back in August, I think two chairs and an umbrella were $23.

We had no service issues - but then, Jack was still there. In talking to him, it sounded as if he wasn't sorry to leave - many of his friends had already left Grand Turk.

We don't have another cruise right now that's going to GT, but it sounds as if the new owner needs to get their act together. There's a fair amount of competition on the beach between the cruise center and Jack's. As much as I love that stretch of beach, I may not walk that far next time....

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, nybumpkin said:

Jeff - Thanks so much for making your way down the beach to Jack's! It has always been our "go to" place in Grand Turk - the beach and the water are so much nicer than by Margaritaville. When we visited back in August, I think two chairs and an umbrella were $23.

We had no service issues - but then, Jack was still there. In talking to him, it sounded as if he wasn't sorry to leave - many of his friends had already left Grand Turk.

We don't have another cruise right now that's going to GT, but it sounds as if the new owner needs to get their act together. There's a fair amount of competition on the beach between the cruise center and Jack's. As much as I love that stretch of beach, I may not walk that far next time....

Hey Kathy! It's really a shame since the new owner(s) have fixed the place up nicely, which it needed. Now if they can fix their staff, we'll head back there again. I'll keep an eye on the reviews in Trip Advisor. Otherwise, we'll stick to our "vacation home" at Margaritaville. :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Jamman54
  • Like 2

Day # 14 – (January 17th) – Fun Day at Sea # 3.

We woke up just as the sun was rising in the east…..

i-XFbnnwW-X2.jpg

i-Mfnz3xK-X2.jpg

It’s going to be another warm and sunny day, and the seas are fairly calm. Here are the views from our balcony as the Spirit makes her way to Bonaire……

i-QtwQ7FS-X2.jpg

i-FW6xZfs-X2.jpg

Because we are going to the Diamond Lunch later, we are going to skip breakfast today. I head down to the Fountain Café Coffee Bar for a coffee and to pick up today’s “Fun Times”…..

i-Hx2nwzf-X2.jpg

i-39bgZ5P-X2.jpg

At 9am we made our way to the Pharaoh’s Palace Theater for “The Wave” Morning Show…….

i-P859N9W-X2.jpg

Patti loves the curtain with the Egyptian Hieroglyphics on it……

i-fQ6xthJ-X2.jpg

i-qbTR2gR-X2.jpg

To be continued…….

• Like 7

Cruise Director Todd opens the show with a member of the Fun Squad, whose name I forget, and Marc who is the Playlist Cast Manager…..

i-B247TK3-X2.jpg

i-qkhwgvR-X2.jpg

i-LXZzB3t-X2.jpg

i-RBMDr9M-X2.jpg

i-crpV65v-X2.jpg

i-242QjLQ-X2.jpg

Todd interviews Fuzzy who is the Effy Ambassador on board the Spirit…..

i-ZMsnQCD-X2.jpg

i-Fv5QBwb-X2.jpg

i-5gG4pmD-X2.jpg

They are joined on stage by Fernando who is the Shopping Expert on board the Spirit. We’ve seen him before…..

i-6j8TfKB-X2.jpg

i-JZqZLZH-X2.jpg

Todd’s version of “The Wave” isn’t even mildly entertaining, so we won’t be attending the last two sea days.

To be continued…..

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

After the show Patti went up to browse around the shops, and I went to the Red Frog Rum Bar for a couple of Thirsty Frog Wheats. I met Patti back at the cabin and at noon we went to the Diamond Luncheon……

i-qWg6Gjz-X2.jpg

i-ccmtfkL-X3.jpg

It was held on Deck 3 of the Empire Restaurant all the way aft by the windows…..

i-hcCgbHg-X2.jpg

i-ZB4Sdh5-X2.jpg

This was our table……

i-gv3sxmJ-X2.jpg

This is the Diamond Luncheon menu…..

i-5mJbmZ9-X2.jpg

Our server Pariana takes our order……

i-m84QQb9-X2.jpg

The drinks just keep on coming…..

i-ZDjRxZ3-X2.jpg

Here are our Cruise Critic friends Paul and Pat (quickrate)…..

i-F3b392G-X2.jpg

To be continued…….

• Like 8

Captain Bovo and Lars Juel are some of the Senior Officers visiting each table…..

i-DwNcbp2-X2.jpg

Captain Bovo stops at our table…..

i-CdtG78X-X2.jpg

These are our bread plates…..

i-z5Mxtz9-X2.jpg

Patti starts off with the lobster bisque, while I have the slow braised pork belly…..

i-kdq2znC-X2.jpg

i-CqBkJMN-X2.jpg

i-XtCcpph-X2.jpg

For our mains Patti has the seared Japanese sea bass, and I have the charred NY steak…..

i-f776ZNk-X2.jpg

i-bp9zszv-X2.jpg

For dessert I have the hazelnut cake & melted chocolate, and Patti had the fruit plate…..

i-5vhxvSr-X2.jpg

i-7DsCgJF-X2.jpg

i-6zgdvrx-X2.jpg

To be continued…..

• Like 10