Roatan

UncleDougsDonna

I've only been to these ports once each, and it was with RCCL. In Belize we did a rum distillery tour and in Roatan we did an eco-hike (which I don't recommend if you have a fear of heights, narrow paths, or have trouble hiking steep inclines - the island is much more mountainous than you might think). The hike included a local lunch and time at a private beach.

I'd look at what others have mentioned in the port specific boards too though and read reviews on excursions on Carnival's website to see what others have liked.

Check out TripAdvisor's recommended day tours with local operators.  We did one and paid less than $100 for both of us, in an air-conditioned minibus with great clean windows, saw the whole island, stopped at the tourguides house for an in-house tour, meet the family and sample wife's homemade rum punch, then lunch on the west end at a local restaurant frequented by land-based tourists on a pier, very good fresh fish.  Total tour, entire island and a lot of history and fun facts, about 5 hours and never a dull moment.  These tours let you see what the island is really like, not someone's idea of what tourists should see.  The guy who did ours was semi-famous because he donated a lot of money to build Roatan's only manicured soccer field with lighting.

• Like 1

Wife and I enjoy both ports, although Belize seems to be less popular with cruisers.

Roatan - on Carnival, you will dock at Mahogany Bay, Carnival's own development.  There is the port shopping area right there just off the ship, and their own beach within walking (or sky-ride) distance.  We enjoyed our beach day there.  Or, the island offers many activities and experiences.  We have done Carnival-sponsored excursions and private excursions.  Roatan offers hiking and zip-lining and snorkeling and resorts and deep-sea fishing and animal encounters and beaches and cultural experiences and good food and....   whatever floats your boat.

Belize - the ship will anchor out at sea, and getting to port will require a water taxi (about a thirty minute shuttle?).  This transport to and from the ship is not an extra costs.  The port area (not owned by Carnival) has shopping and drinking and eating, etc.  I would NOT venture outside of this port area on my own.  But that is me.  This is one stop that I might recommend taking a Carnival-sponsored excursion to venture out and explore the country.  With that said, we have no issues with arranging something with one of the private tour companies.  As @IntrepidFromDC suggested, use a trusted site such as TripAdvisor to find these.  The opportunities for adventure are much the same as Roatan.  Other options might include cave tubing, tours of Maya ruins, and visits to distilleries. 

Plus, whatever advice you might find on the Cruise Critic discussion boards for each particular port of call.

We have done a resort day pass once and a taxi to Tabyanna beach and another to West End Village on Roatan.  All booked at the port.  Our next one is thru Victor Bodden to West End in May.  Easy to book in port except Bodden who prefers reservations.

Belize has some tours available in port.  We have done a trip to Bannister Island booked from port.  The cave tubing is a blast and a trip to Cay Caulker is great for snorkeling.  If I was to do them over I would book through the Ship.  Anytime I am going 20 miles from the ship I want a ship tour unless the local tours are guaranteed.

8 hours ago, Top_of_the_Cube said:

Wife and I enjoy both ports, although Belize seems to be less popular with cruisers.

Roatan - on Carnival, you will dock at Mahogany Bay, Carnival's own development.  There is the port shopping area right there just off the ship, and their own beach within walking (or sky-ride) distance.  We enjoyed our beach day there.  Or, the island offers many activities and experiences.  We have done Carnival-sponsored excursions and private excursions.  Roatan offers hiking and zip-lining and snorkeling and resorts and deep-sea fishing and animal encounters and beaches and cultural experiences and good food and....   whatever floats your boat.

Belize - the ship will anchor out at sea, and getting to port will require a water taxi (about a thirty minute shuttle?).  This transport to and from the ship is not an extra costs.  The port area (not owned by Carnival) has shopping and drinking and eating, etc.  I would NOT venture outside of this port area on my own.  But that is me.  This is one stop that I might recommend taking a Carnival-sponsored excursion to venture out and explore the country.  With that said, we have no issues with arranging something with one of the private tour companies.  As @IntrepidFromDC suggested, use a trusted site such as TripAdvisor to find these.  The opportunities for adventure are much the same as Roatan.  Other options might include cave tubing, tours of Maya ruins, and visits to distilleries. 

Plus, whatever advice you might find on the Cruise Critic discussion boards for each particular port of call.

In November 2022 the cruise I was on, RCCL Serenade, stopped at both of these ports.  I didn't take any excursions during the cruise.  Roatan was the port I least liked, Belize City was interesting in a quiet way ... I walked around solo, visited the interesting history museum, etc.  Wandering solo in both port areas I didn't feel insecure.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Longford said:

In November 2022 the cruise I was on, RCCL Serenade, stopped at both of these ports.  I didn't take any excursions during the cruise.  Roatan was the port I least liked, Belize City was interesting in a quiet way ... I walked around solo, visited the interesting history museum, etc.  Wandering solo in both port areas I didn't feel insecure.

I am interested to know why you didn't like Roatan. 

To the OP, If you are comfortable in water, the reefs of Roatan ae easy to access and some of the best in the Caribbean. 

1 hour ago, Guest 2000 said:

I am interested to know why you didn't like Roatan. 

The location where Serenade docket was a depressing sight, and as you leave the port gates there's a gauntlet of hustlers seeking to sell you one sort of service or another.  I speak Spanish and they just wouldn't take no for an answer and were almost physically confrontational.  

I walked about on my own for several hours once getting away from the port entrance.  There wasn't much to see if an excursion isn't involved.  

• Like 1

On 1/27/2023 at 10:37 PM, Longford said:

I can appreciate your take on Roatan and Belize.

It is also good to remember that in Roatan, RCCL ports at Coxen Hole, which is right there at the largest city on the island.  Probably perfect for a walkabout once debarking the ship.  Carnival, though, pulls into Mahogany Bay.  Mahogany Bay has port shops and a beach built by Carnival.  I only left the port/beach area to walk to my excursion meet-up van.  Not sure what else might be close by and worth walking to.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 2:47 PM, Longford said:

The location where Serenade docket was a depressing sight, and as you leave the port gates there's a gauntlet of hustlers seeking to sell you one sort of service or another.  I speak Spanish and they just wouldn't take no for an answer and were almost physically confrontational.  

I walked about on my own for several hours once getting away from the port entrance.  There wasn't much to see if an excursion isn't involved.  

Ahh the port of Roatan is walking distance from the town of Coxen Hole. I can understand if you were expecing more at the port.  I understand there is more in the works. In the mean time,  Carnival has it's port on Roatan that offers everything one could need. Well, except a authentic expereince, but many people are not seeking such.  

On 1/28/2023 at 3:47 PM, Longford said:

A little research in advance would probably have prepared you for this.

Coxen Hole is the original Port of Roatan. All I can say is, it is more developed and less intimidating than 15-20 years ago.  Pre-covid developments were underway but I am sure are on hold.

If you cruise again it would probably be best to do some pre-planning to make the most of your time in port. There are many ports in the world where ports themselves are not destinations.

22 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

A little research in advance would probably have prepared you for this.

So, now you're a mind-reader?  You know nothing about me or the advance research I did or didn't do.  Nobody likes a know it all, but you probably hear that often.  🥸

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Longford said:

So, now you're a mind-reader?  You know nothing about me or the advance research I did or didn't do.  Nobody likes a know it all, but you probably hear that often.  🥸

I’m sorry you feel that way but your reaction to Coxen Hole and comments you have made suggest you were unprepared for what you found whereas I don’t think you should have been surprised.

Perhaps you are just trying to make sure others are aware?

• Like 3

On 1/27/2023 at 12:17 PM, UncleDougsDonna said:

What to do in Roatan and Belize.

Roatan cab the Henry Morgan resort and snorkeling to a reef from shore TripAdvisor for the information Zumba by the pool safe clean and cab drive waiting for you negotiate 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2023 at 1:25 PM, IntrepidFromDC said:

Check out TripAdvisor's recommended day tours with local operators.  We did one and paid less than $100 for both of us, in an air-conditioned minibus with great clean windows, saw the whole island, stopped at the tourguides house for an in-house tour, meet the family and sample wife's homemade rum punch, then lunch on the west end at a local restaurant frequented by land-based tourists on a pier, very good fresh fish.  Total tour, entire island and a lot of history and fun facts, about 5 hours and never a dull moment.  These tours let you see what the island is really like, not someone's idea of what tourists should see.  The guy who did ours was semi-famous because he donated a lot of money to build Roatan's only manicured soccer field with lighting.

Wow, this sounds fun! Which tour operator did you use?

Thank you!
Ryan

55 minutes ago, KCcruzor said:

Wow, this sounds fun! Which tour operator did you use?

Thank you!
Ryan

I scoured TripAdvisor and can't find it.  I can't imagine he stopped doing it, but he was a very busy man with irons in many fires.  I do have a pic of my daughter with him, he's the taller one and the shorter one is the driver.  That was a great day.

Isla Roatan with guides.jpeg

27 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

I scoured TripAdvisor and can't find it.  I can't imagine he stopped doing it, but he was a very busy man with irons in many fires.  I do have a pic of my daughter with him, he's the taller one and the shorter one is the driver.  That was a great day.

Isla Roatan with guides.jpeg

Found an old email from them thanking me!  roatantripsandtours.com

Steve and Gary.

• 10 months later...
On 2/6/2023 at 1:29 PM, wolft927 said:

We do Little French Key each time...$69 per person does not include food and drink, but is very nice secluded small little island. We love it there, going for our 3rd time in April

Looking for suggestions for a beach day while in Coxen Hole. How far is Little French Key? How do you get there?

tks