Dinner on ship or in town?

springtravel

Our ship arrives in Barcelona on Thursday, and we have an excursion for the day.  We will also be in port overnight, disembarking the next day, and we have the Viking 2 day extension.  I would love to hear from fellow travelers if the ship will have a special farewell dinner that night or the same as other nights.  Do you normally eat on the ship or try a local restaurant?  Just curious. 

In my experience with Viking Ocean the night before disembarkation, there is no "special" dinner - it is just dinner as usual.  Generally speaking there is a Captain's farewell in the Star Theatre but that is generally two nights before disembarkation.  There is generally not a show on that last night either as you have to get your luggage in the hall by 9pm.  If they had too much going on, then people would miss their luggage deadline.

Personally, I would go ashore, find the Gothic Quarter in Barcelona and eat in a square there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, springtravel said:

Do you know where the ship will be docked and how close to Gothic Quarter we will be?

Last November, we were docked right next to World Trade Center.  The red circle below.  Highlighted the main drag: Las Rambla and Gothic Quarter is right there.  About 10- to 15-minutes walk.

image.thumb.png.57a14fa218819b694a6ace647b0a9023.png

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

It would be of more assistance to the OP if you were to explain why ... 🍺🥌

Likely ate from a tourist spot on Las Ramblas or out on the Marina area which I agree are pretty awful if you strike one. But get off the main drag and into the little piazzas for the good food. 

• Thanks 1

We were told by a private tour guide in Barcelona to avoid any restaurant that has their menu outside on an A-frame.  This is a tourist restaurant.  If you want to eat real Tapas, then look for restaurants down the side streets - in the Gothic Quarter (and other areas) that don't have menus outside.  I know, this is not intuitive to us, but try it.  We did and we have amazing meals.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

We were told by a private tour guide in Barcelona to avoid any restaurant that has their menu outside on an A-frame.  This is a tourist restaurant.  If you want to eat real Tapas, then look for restaurants down the side streets - in the Gothic Quarter (and other areas) that don't have menus outside.  I know, this is not intuitive to us, but try it.  We did and we have amazing meals.

We have be told that in Italy as well.  I know not to go to main tourist spots to get the best meals.  I lived near Madrid as a child and can't wait to have authentic Spanish food again. 

On another tip from a tour guide in Florence, never go to a gelato shop where the gelato is piled high in the bins.  That is for show and too much air.  Opt for the ones that have covers on them. 

2 hours ago, jasardeax said:

For a “blow the budget” last night extraordinary uh dining experience, Barcelona is home to a total of 

19 Michelin Star restaurants, 

Including two three star ones. 

Cant eat until 8 pm. No go.

2 hours ago, jasardeax said:

For a “blow the budget” last night extraordinary uh dining experience, Barcelona is home to a total of 

19 Michelin Star restaurants, 

Including two three star ones. 

I don't say anything against Michelin restaurants as I do appreciate the talent that is required, but personally - just my personal opinion - Michelin is never true authentic local cuisine.  I have had many opportunities to choose Michelin over local basic very well prepared cuisine, and will always opt for the latter.

33 minutes ago, springtravel said:

We have be told that in Italy as well.  I know not to go to main tourist spots to get the best meals.  I lived near Madrid as a child and can't wait to have authentic Spanish food again. 

On another tip from a tour guide in Florence, never go to a gelato shop where the gelato is piled high in the bins.  That is for show and too much air.  Opt for the ones that have covers on them. 

Re the gelato, this is 100% true. My cousin in Italy owns an artisanal gelateria - they make it for resale. If you see gelato piled high in the serving bins it is definitely pumped full of air and chemicals to keep it from melting. All for show.

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I don't say anything against Michelin restaurants as I do appreciate the talent that is required, but personally - just my personal opinion - Michelin is never true authentic local cuisine.  I have had many opportunities to choose Michelin over local basic very well prepared cuisine, and will always opt for the latter.

Just trying to point out that the quality of food and restaurants in Barcelona is varied and excellent. From humble tapas bars, great Spanish restaurants, and surprisingly excellent Asian restaurants to highly awarded

haute cuisine restaurants, there are pleasant and tasty surprises for all palates and pocketbooks

in Barcelona. 

• Like 2