Brightline FLL to MIA?

DAllenTCY

Brightrail’s stations are not especially close to either Fort Lauderdale of Miami airports. For example, it’s about 5 miles from FLL to the train station (which is o. the opposite side of downtown Lauderdale). Personally, I’d be reluctant to use to go between airports. That’s not really the intended use.

I’m a big fan of Brightline. We used it to get from FLL to Miami cruise port. It’s a short Uber to the train station and then even closer to the terminal (you could spit to it in a high wind). If you do first class you get a lounge at the station, drinks and snacks onboard, and a free ride that the cruise terminal is actually in range for (although they sometimes won’t give you a ride there). They might be switching this to an Uber coupon both ways, which honestly is better because you could go beyond the limits and get a discount.

• Like 2

I don't see the point. You won't save much money and it will take longer to take the Brightline than to just hop in an Uber. An Uber will be around $50.00 and a 45-60 min ride weekday. If the drive is on a weekend looking at 30-45mins. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Flymia said:

I don't see the point. You won't save much money and it will take longer to take the Brightline than to just hop in an Uber. An Uber will be around $50.00 and a 45-60 min ride weekday. If the drive is on a weekend looking at 30-45mins. 

I was told yesterday it would be $85. I wonder who is right?

Edited by cruzfiend

I dunno about price, but the train, either Brightline or TriRail, has little problem with a schedule.  From experience I can tell you that watching bumper to bumper rush hour traffic on I-95 go by while the train moves right along, is a real nice feeling.

Edit to add that TriRail goes directly to MIA....has senior rates, low fares for all on the weekend.  It is also much older than Brightline, TriRail is used by a lot of students and commuters and at times presents a challenge to the crews that have the task of keeping the cars in presentable condition.

Edited by thinfool

18 hours ago, thinfool said:

Edit to add that TriRail goes directly to MIA....has senior rates, low fares for all on the weekend.  

How would you get from MIA international Arrivals (Air France) to the tri-rail station?

3 hours ago, Badatz2 said:

How would you get from MIA international Arrivals (Air France) to the tri-rail station?

Follow the signs to the Miami Mover. In the baggage claim areas, this involves taking an elevator upstairs to a level where "moving sidewalks" lead you to a central area which is where the Miami Mover is located. The Miami Mover is a free train that takes you several miles away to the Rental Car Center. When you get there, the building with rental cars is in one direction, MetroRail and TriRail are in another direction. MetroRail is the commuter metro system that goes east and south to downtown Miami while TriRail is the heavy commuter rail system that goes north to Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach.

• Thanks 1

On 2/4/2023 at 6:35 AM, cruzfiend said:

I was told yesterday it would be $85. I wonder who is right?

Uber prices do change with demand and also depends on what car you pick. $85.00 sounds more like a taxi fare. An Uberx with normal pricing should be around $50.00 

South Florida Uber and Lyft have been making more use of their "surge" or higher pricing in recent months. The Sun-Sentinel had something about it a few weeks ago. Once reserved for high demand time slots like concerts, cruise ship activity, etc, it has become a regular feature on some evenings and weekends.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2023 at 4:21 PM, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

Follow the signs to the Miami Mover. In the baggage claim areas, this involves taking an elevator upstairs to a level where "moving sidewalks" lead you to a central area which is where the Miami Mover is located. The Miami Mover is a free train that takes you several miles away to the Rental Car Center. When you get there, the building with rental cars is in one direction, MetroRail and TriRail are in another direction. MetroRail is the commuter metro system that goes east and south to downtown Miami while TriRail is the heavy commuter rail system that goes north to Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach.

Thank you for this great description of how to get to Metro Rail. We are arriving from SFO. I would guess there is signage for Miami Mover in the domestic arrivals as well. Do you know if you need to use an elevator (hopefully there’s an escalator) to change floors to get to the Miami Mover from a domestic arrival?

We are staying at Hampton Inn Brickell downtown and I see it’s a short 3 min walk from the metro rail station. Do you know if the metro rail from MIA to Brickell is clean and safe? Or will we be riding with sketchy characters?We are coming in on American around 4:45 pm on a Saturday if that matters.   I’ve used  a lot of public transportation in NYC and SF and I know some lines are better than others. 

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel

42 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Thank you for this great description of how to get to Metro Rail. We are arriving from SFO. I would guess there is signage for Miami Mover in the domestic arrivals as well. Do you know if you need to use an elevator (hopefully there’s an escalator) to change floors to get to the Miami Mover from a domestic arrival?

We are staying at Hampton Inn Brickell downtown and I see it’s a short 3 min walk from the metro rail station. Do you know if the metro rail from MIA to Brickell is clean and safe? Or will we be riding with sketchy characters?We are coming in on American around 4:45 pm on a Saturday if that matters.   I’ve used  a lot of public transportation in NYC and SF and I know some lines are better than others. 

After you exit the MIAMover, Buy your Metrorail ticket from a machine opposite the car rental area. Then you must go down. There are elevators but most folks take the escalator down to the Metrorail.

the train is perfectly fine IMO and you will be accompanied by many other travelers. Perfectly safe. 15 minutes to Brickell or thereabouts. 

not sure about the walk from the Brickell station to the hotel though. I like that area and always feel safe but someone else may want to offer an opinion.  There is an escalator down from the platform to the street and I am sure an elevator too.

Edited by SteerageJoe
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

@HaveDogWillTravelI’ve never actually taken the train from the airport to Brickell because I would always drive or Uber there or home but can tell you that it is a short walk to the Hampton Inn to the train station.  There are plenty of signs in the ai-part however  
The elevator is located on the north side of the tracks and will let you out on SW 1st right across from the Publix at Mary Brickell Village.  You will walk south (should be making a right) and go 3 blocks to SW 12th and make a left, Coyo Taco will be on the corner.  The Hampton Inn will be a few steps up on the right side.  

As far as timing, you will be just fine at that time of day.  There are always interesting characters on board just like every other major city  I will say I’m not a fan of being on the train at night.  

Uber is easy from MIA and runs about $22 if you want to do that  it will greatly shorten your travel time  

I lived on Brickell Ave right near the Hampton Inn for 8 years so if you need any dining suggestions, let me know!

@SteerageJoeThank you very much for your input.  It is most useful.

@Host CJSKIDS Thank you for your wonderful information as well.  Yes I would love some suggestions for dining in the Brickell area.  Walking would be good to work out the cramps from the long plane ride if possible but Lyft/Uber is fine too.  We will need to walk back to the Publix the next morning to stock up wine and alcohol for our Oceania trip.  My O travel agent person has been with O since they started and assures me it is perfectly fine to bring on whatever we want.  Plus she is taking the cruise with us so I feel confident it will be okay.  

It will depend on how tired and stressed we are when we land as to whether we choose ride share or train.  We do like to support good public transportation though and try to do so when possible.  I'm glad to know we have the two great choices to get to the hotel.  

Thanks again for all the help!

On 3/3/2023 at 12:23 PM, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Follow the signs to American Airlines baggage claim and then look to see which baggage belt is assigned to your flight. To get to the Miami Mover, I'm pretty sure you will need to use an elevator as I don't recall escalators in that area. There is one central elevator bank in the middle of the AA baggage area but if it's jammed with passengers, there is another less used elevator bank at the very far end of the AA baggage area where the terminal ends. Both are marked for MIA MOVER, as is the appropriate elevator button. On that level a long series of moving sidewalks (too often not moving) brings you away from the AA terminal and towards the middle of the airport where the entrance to the Miami Mover is located. That free train takes you out to the Rental Car center which is also where Miami Metro trains and Tri-Rail trains are. Buy your Metro ticket from machines before you go down to the train platform. You should be fine riding the train. Someone above mentioned how to walk to your hotel from the Metro's Brickell station.

4 hours ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

Follow the signs to American Airlines baggage claim and then look to see which baggage belt is assigned to your flight. To get to the Miami Mover, I'm pretty sure you will need to use an elevator as I don't recall escalators in that area. There is one central elevator bank in the middle of the AA baggage area but if it's jammed with passengers, there is another less used elevator bank at the very far end of the AA baggage area where the terminal ends. Both are marked for MIA MOVER, as is the appropriate elevator button. On that level a long series of moving sidewalks (too often not moving) brings you away from the AA terminal and towards the middle of the airport where the entrance to the Miami Mover is located. That free train takes you out to the Rental Car center which is also where Miami Metro trains and Tri-Rail trains are. Buy your Metro ticket from machines before you go down to the train platform. You should be fine riding the train. Someone above mentioned how to walk to your hotel from the Metro's Brickell station.

Thank you very much for this wonderful detailed description. I am very appreciative.  

• Like 1