Murano or Luminae first night?

DisneyJen

15 hours ago, DisneyJen said:

Thanks @mahasamatman!

Murano has some of @DJ's DH's favorite things ... Lobster Bisque, Chateaubriand and Grand Marnier Souffle! I have OBC to burn so I'm not too worried about $$$ 😄

In that case go for Murano. It's much more important to have a great birthday dinner than to satisfy some (imaginary) urge to "set the tone" for the other xx days at a restaurant.

Previously I upgraded twice to a suite while on board in AQ due to room defects (1x free, 1x paid), so that means I haven't been in Luminae on Day 1 and what difference did that make? None.

Based on your description DH will be much happier with Murano based on the menu choices. You can always step into Luminae after that for dessert/cheese plate. Only one thing to keep in mind, they market the Day 1 Specialty Dining with a discount because yes, most people like to go to their Main Dining venue the first night. It *might* be busier due to these promotions.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Her name would not be Wida by any chance?

That name does not sound familiar.  I seem to remember her being well-tenured with Celebrity.  This encounter was on Celebrity Equinox in 2021.  I need to keep better notes because my memory is obviously not serving me.

We love it when people decide to dine in Murano or Tuscan Grill the first night.  We always go to Luminae for lunch and dinner the first day and the more suite passengers that eat in the specialty restaurants the better for us. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don't think you can go wrong!

Personally, we prefer to go to Luminae on the first night, but that's mostly because we prefer not to have a set dining time that night.  Every embarkation day is its own adventure, so we love the flexibility to dine when we feel like heading over there.  We may be starving and want to hit it early, or we may want to hang around and have another drink with some folks we just met. 

As mentioned, we already will have met many of the folks in Luminae at lunch, so that's not really a concern.  In any case, it's not like the Luminae staff will treat you like some outsider should you miss out on the first night.  They treat you right.

Frankly, considering that you aren't wowed by the menu on the first night and the birthday boy loves what Murano has to offer, I would be highly tempted to head over to Murano.  Believe me when I tell you that they can do things up well for a birthday (as will Luminae, should you want to do that).  

Don't overthink this decision.  Go where the spirit moves you!

3 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

We love it when people decide to dine in Murano or Tuscan Grill the first night.

Hee hee.  In total agreement on this one.  Our Equinox cruise had a super loud lady with her husband on board that took every meal in Luminae.  As you know Luminae is not that big, so with her being at the table in the middle of the room closest to the maitre d desk for mobility reasons, she was only a couple table aways from every other table and every word could be heard.  Sometimes the "back room" of Luminae is less crowded.  Sadly, we sat adjacent to another couple at the banquette on the wall behind the maitre d desk on the second to the last night of the cruise.  One of our dinner neighbors contracted covid.  On the last evening of the cruise, we were contract traced and quarantined.  Not a great way to end a cruise, but we were fed, hydrated, and compensated.  A great crew in The Retreat help us overlook this minor cruise snafu.  

50 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

In that case go for Murano. It's much more important to have a great birthday dinner than to satisfy some (imaginary) urge to "set the tone" for the other xx days at a restaurant.

Previously I upgraded twice to a suite while on board in AQ due to room defects (1x free, 1x paid), so that means I haven't been in Luminae on Day 1 and what difference did that make? None.

Based on your description DH will be much happier with Murano based on the menu choices. You can always step into Luminae after that for dessert/cheese plate. Only one thing to keep in mind, they market the Day 1 Specialty Dining with a discount because yes, most people like to go to their Main Dining venue the first night. It *might* be busier due to these promotions.

My very first celebrity cruise we were upgraded from balcony to sky suite on solstice, but this was before there was Luminae and suite lounge . After that we always booked suites have done sky, celebrity, royal and penthouse.

• Like 2

Just now, George C said:

My very first celebrity cruise we were upgraded from balcony to sky suite on solstice, but this was before there was Luminae and suite lounge . After that we always booked suites have done sky, celebrity, royal and penthouse.

Apparently teasing the guests works quite well sometimes. You're the living proof. British Airways does similar things, they randomly give "first time" upgrades ahead of time, especially to BAEC members.

In my case I broke down the amenities, benefits and cost and decided there is a certain amount X I'd be willing to pay on top (not very much, maybe $120-150/day). So if I can get a SS/AS for $1000 more than Aqua per week I do it, if not then Aqua Veranda it is.

Never been disappointed with Murano on the first night.   The main reason we usually have done this is that the fist night in every venue except specialties can be a real mess.   Customers and Staff alike are getting used to one another.  People have a tendency to run the Sommelier ragged as they haven't pre-stocked what people are ordering and many are also ordering cocktails. 

The first night also takes the Wait Staff longer to explain how things work on the menu etc etc. 

The other side of the coin is we find that if you dine in Luminae the first night you are setting the stage for who your waiter will be for the entire cruise (M and S Class) and where you prefer to sit.   

Also many have noted that you get a 30% discount for the First Night -   I use to book for this reason but was advised by the Specialty that I get a 25% discount any night as a Zenith.   Unfortunately they don't allow stacking of discounts.    I now sometimes just book the nights I want regardless of the potential 5% savings for first night.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, George C said:

We also like eating in Luminae the first night even when we are in higher end suites that includes free specialty restaurants.

Throw my 2 cents in... We are on Equinox Mar 27, and had first night reserved  in Murano (at 30% discount) and was really looking forward to tableside lobster.  But after all the discussion on CC about the lousy lobster, I finally canceled.. My  DH prefers to eat in Luminae the first night anyway..for the same reason others do..getting to know the crew!...Tried Tuscan twice last year on Millie. 2 different cruises, and will not be doing it again.  One meal was so awful they gave us a free lunch which was also awful...So we will do Sushi on 5 when Luminae has nothing appealing... Food is kind of an issue for me because I am a very good cook! and I am picky about what I eat...so if the food actually deteriorates as bad as some are saying, we may be done with Celebrity.  Makes me so sad, but food quality is a BIG deal for me!  I don't just eat for fuel...It actually has to be worth eating!

Sigh...

Anyway, a 9:30 first night in Murano just opened up for someone!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BridgeBabe said:

Throw my 2 cents in... We are on Equinox Mar 27, and had first night reserved  in Murano (at 30% discount) and was really looking forward to tableside lobster.  But after all the discussion on CC about the lousy lobster, I finally canceled.. My  DH prefers to eat in Luminae the first night anyway..for the same reason others do..getting to know the crew!...Tried Tuscan twice last year on Millie. 2 different cruises, and will not be doing it again.  One meal was so awful they gave us a free lunch which was also awful...So we will do Sushi on 5 when Luminae has nothing appealing... Food is kind of an issue for me because I am a very good cook! and I am picky about what I eat...so if the food actually deteriorates as bad as some are saying, we may be done with Celebrity.  Makes me so sad, but food quality is a BIG deal for me!  I don't just eat for fuel...It actually has to be worth eating!

Sigh...

Anyway, a 9:30 first night in Murano just opened up for someone!

Pre- cruise (Equinox) we were only able to book Murano at 9:30 PM on any given night.  Even though the Retreat shore-side concierge tried for us.  But when we boarded we went directly to Murano and they had plenty of openings with decent times (we took 7 PM).  My dw had the table-side lobster which she enjoyed but it was quite small.  Others around us ordered two.  Maybe sign up when on board, and get the first night discount, or go for another night?  We got 15% as E+ members on a later night.  So it all worked out for us.  And it was overall quite good and enjoyable.  I would offer that you just enjoy your cruise (and Murano) and not worry too much about negative (subjective) comments affecting your decisions in advance.

• Like 1

Obviously people have different experiences.  I found the Luminae crowded and somewhat hectic on the first night.  If unlimited speciality dining is included with my booking, I like to enjoy our first meal with a great view from the Tuscan.  It has become our tradition.  

i leave  our Murano experience for later as it is our favorite.

Edited by jagoffee

On 2/3/2023 at 5:30 AM, TeeRick said:

Pre- cruise (Equinox) we were only able to book Murano at 9:30 PM on any given night.  Even though the Retreat shore-side concierge tried for us.  But when we boarded we went directly to Murano and they had plenty of openings with decent times (we took 7 PM).  My dw had the table-side lobster which she enjoyed but it was quite small.  Others around us ordered two.  Maybe sign up when on board, and get the first night discount, or go for another night?  We got 15% as E+ members on a later night.  So it all worked out for us.  And it was overall quite good and enjoyable.  I would offer that you just enjoy your cruise (and Murano) and not worry too much about negative (subjective) comments affecting your decisions in advance.

OK...update... I went back into Pre cruise planning and rebooked Murano, based on your comments...and still managed the 30% discount!

Otherwise I would not have done it...I think it was meant to be!

I really really wanted Murano,  but bought into all the trash talk!  I think I will be happy with it...And I will ask for 2 lobster tails if they are the little guys...And we will do lunch in Luminae so my DH will be happy!

First thing I will go straight to Murano desk to see about an earlier dinner time.  That was my DH main complaint about Murano..( although we are coming from the West coast and our bodies will still think ii is 6:30! anyway.)

My mind is made up (I think..LOL)

• Like 4

On 2/1/2023 at 9:09 PM, George C said:

Definitely don’t miss lunch on first day they normally have a lobster roll as one of the options.

They did have it on the Luminae lunch menu first day for us recently.  But you probably need to order two - or you go hungry!  Or just have more desert.😃

12 hours ago, TeeRick said:

They did have it on the Luminae lunch menu first day for us recently.  But you probably need to order two - or you go hungry!  Or just have more desert.😃

I ask for the lobster roll to be served as a salad and order Seared Bronzino for my entree.  Depending on my mood I'll have a glass, or two, of Cakebread Pinot Noir or the Rockbare Riesling to go with it. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I ask for the lobster roll to be served as a salad and order Seared Bronzino for my entree.  Depending on my mood I'll have a glass, or two, of Cakebread Pinot Noir or the Rockbare Riesling to go with it. 

Good plan!

• Like 1