Prince Rupert on Alaska Cruises

dave_k58

I read on C***H*** today that Ruby Princess has canceled stops in Victoria and replaced them with Prince Rupert for the entire 2023 Alaska cruise season. I wonder if this will also happen on our Crown Princess Alaska cruise in August. Any ideas?

Prince Rupert turns out to be a gem.

The core  is compact, so good for walking. People are genuinely friendly. Seemed more prosperous than Alaskan ports. Good supermarkets and a Walmart.  First Nations citizens are full-on part of the work life and economy. The Museum of Northern BC is a must see. 

oh, and the scenery is great!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The change is due to a new interim order to protect the endangered southern resident killer whales who frequent the waters surrounding Victoria. https://tc.canada.ca/en/interim-order-protection-killer-whale-orcinus-orca-waters-southern-british-columbia

I'm really glad to see cruise lines take this seriously and opt to port elsewhere. 

I wouldn't be surprised if more itineraries are impacted. If your cruise is currently slated to dock in Victoria, I would be mentally prepared for that to change. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, eclue said:

I hope our cruise on the Crown does not take Victoria away - I want to go back to the Buchart Gardens again...they are lovely....we found Prince Rupert to be a bit bland.

Actually, I agree. Butchart Gardens is amazing, basically, anytime of year.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SiliconCruiser said:

I preferred Prince Rupert to the glitz and canned tourism of Victoria.  Lovely little town with genuinely friendly people.

That is 100% true!  
the Sunken Gardens is also a little treasure, within walking distance of the dock and is complementary.  It’s small but just gorgeous.  

• Like 2

On 2/3/2023 at 7:03 PM, dave_k58 said:

I read on C***H*** today that Ruby Princess has canceled stops in Victoria and replaced them with Prince Rupert for the entire 2023 Alaska cruise season. I wonder if this will also happen on our Crown Princess Alaska cruise in August. Any ideas?

We are on the Crown Princess to Alaska in July and the Ovation to Alaska in August.  Both of our itineraries include Victoria --- wonder if we will also be impacted.  And if so, how long will it take before we find out?