Shorts around the Ship on Sea Days?

thesmiths

That depends on what you are used to. I am from Minnesota so yes shorts cruising Alaska in May. For the people from warmer states no they will not be in shorts. Temps can be anywhere from 50's to 70 anywhere on the cruise and all in the same day. Near glaciers it will be 5 to 10 degrees cooler. Most ports are in rain forest areas so even though May is a dry month count on rain.

And then it may depend on the shorts - bermudas - hiking - capri - but only the BOLD in

spirit go about in short shorts - appetizers for the bears - - -

Harold ! Egad put some clothes on -

It is warmer than you think in Alaska - it is NOT a winter cruise vacation you know !

YES you see PR photos of winter glad gear for guests visiting a glacier by helicopter.

One would respect wearing the proper gear if stranded on/in an ice box of sorts.

Brief exposure (did I just say that) is OK but frown upon in the Main Dining room.

You are pushing it expecting to get an Alaska SPA sun-tan.

The legs are the last to experience frostbite - go for it !

I wear summer weight thigh length KILTS everywhere in Alaska -

it is a better conversation starter - - -

• Like 1

I also have been to SE Alaska in May and always pack a pair of shorts.  In the Interior of Alaska, where I live, we are definitely in shorts in May.

We did an Antarctica cruise in 2015.  There was one guy who wore a heavy wool sweater and shorts every day -- even on the day when we had snow on the outer decks and the crew built a penguin snowman.

• Like 2

The subject of what to wear on an Alaska cruise comes up on this forum all the time  It is really interesting that people from Florida or Arizona suggest to wear long underwear and parkas, whereas people from Minnesota or Maine state that shorts are fine.  🙂 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, pdmlynek said:

The subject of what to wear on an Alaska cruise comes up on this forum all the time  It is really interesting that people from Florida or Arizona suggest to wear long underwear and parkas, whereas people from Minnesota or Maine state that shorts are fine.  🙂 

I laugh at those who want to bring Ugg boots for walking around port.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Coral said:

I laugh at those who want to bring Ugg boots for walking around port.

Snow drifts windchill lions tigers and the bears come out of hibernation and then

the friendly polar bears come around for a scratch behind the (bears) ears - - -

Believe all that and I have a bridge to no-where to sell you cheap at Ketchikan !

Coastal and interior weather in the summer time can reach 80 degrees "F" or more -

really big time for those shorts !

In all fairness guests acclimation to the weather can vary on where that guest is from !

My first trip to Phoenix in mid-winter years ago - being from Minnesota was astounded

to see kids wearing parkas going to school and activities and I am in my shorts and

polo shirt enjoying the 100 degree temperature change !

Que Sera Sera - - - - - 

• Haha 1

I understood by the title that the OP wants to know if shorts are OK on the ship. I've read that the cruise lines keep the ships warm but they don't say at what temp (Does anyone know at what temp?). I'm from Miami, FL and have the same question. Good news is that you can, and if it gets too cold your room is close by to change.

I've had a lot of co-workers who wear shorts in 40F degree weather from up north who now freeze in 60F temps after living in Miami for just 6 months.

7 hours ago, JCJR said:

I understood by the title that the OP wants to know if shorts are OK on the ship. I've read that the cruise lines keep the ships warm but they don't say at what temp (Does anyone know at what temp?). I'm from Miami, FL and have the same question. Good news is that you can, and if it gets too cold your room is close by to change.

I've had a lot of co-workers who wear shorts in 40F degree weather from up north who now freeze in 60F temps after living in Miami for just 6 months.

Thank You ! 

I do plan to wear them during the day on sea days.

On 2/6/2023 at 10:23 AM, JCJR said:

(Does anyone know at what temp?).

Look at it this way if you can walk-about the pool area in a swim suit - shorts should be no problem

most anywhere on the ship except maybe in the forward area (bow) while underway viewing a

glacier (wind blowing over an ice block effect).

One thing for sure if off on a shore excursion to the interior beware of the local residents

(mosquitos) requesting frequent blood transfusions and those open legs provide the right target !

No need to check what type - all comers are welcome.

• Haha 1

On 2/4/2023 at 8:19 PM, pdmlynek said:

As a Texan I understand those from Florida and Arizona....anything below 70 is cold to me.  We will be cruising Alaska in late August and I plan on dressing for winter 😂

2 hours ago, TSUmom said:

As a Texan I understand those from Florida and Arizona....anything below 70 is cold to me.  We will be cruising Alaska in late August and I plan on dressing for winter 😂

😄😄

Actually, it is not the cold that is the problem. It is the rain. You need to be prepared for the rain. It rains most the days, but generally not very hard. 

Most of my family just had rain jackets, and laughed at me packing also rain pants. They stopped laughing when I was comfortable in my rain pants, while they wore wet pants. 

Bring rainchaps.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, pdmlynek said:

😄😄

Actually, it is not the cold that is the problem. It is the rain. You need to be prepared for the rain. It rains most the days, but generally not very hard. 

Most of my family just had rain jackets, and laughed at me packing also rain pants. They stopped laughing when I was comfortable in my rain pants, while they wore wet pants. 

Bring rainchaps.

Already bought them...My DH said he won't need them LOl  I guarantee he will be happy to have them.  I also bought waterproof daypacks to keep everything in...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/7/2023 at 2:33 PM, don't-use-real-name said:

(Does anyone know at what temp?).

Look at it this way if you can walk-about the pool area in a swim suit - shorts should be no problem...

I understand people wear swimsuits but most of the time it is for a limited time while doing that activity and mostly for the hot tubs which are hot.

I'm interested to know how warm (at what temp) is the inside of the ship as a lot of people have stated "the cruise line keeps the inside of the ship warm". Warm can be a lot of different temps to different people. My upper body gets cold so I always like to check temperatures to places that might get cold for me.

I think I might just might ask in a separate thread what temp. I wear shorts 95% of the time (> 55F) but take a light sweater when temps go below 70F (I can hear people laughing as they read this).

1 hour ago, JCJR said:

I'm interested to know how warm (at what temp) is the inside of the ship as a lot of people have stated "the cruise line keeps the inside of the ship warm". Warm can be a lot of different temps to different people. My upper body gets cold so I always like to check temperatures to places that might get cold for me.

I think I might just might ask in a separate thread what temp. I wear shorts 95% of the time (> 55F) but take a light sweater when temps go below 70F (I can hear people laughing as they read this).

I am not sure what the issue is.  If it is going to be seem warm inside the ship to you, you'll wear shorts or short sleeves. If it going to be colder, then you switch to long sleeves.  If it will be even cooler, then you put on a light sweater.  

To me, it was fine.  I've never noticed what the temperature inside of the ship was.  It is akin to asking what is the temperature of a grocery store, or an office building, or an airport.  You just don't notice it.  It is just fine.

• 2 months later...
On 2/4/2023 at 9:37 AM, don't-use-real-name said:

And then it may depend on the shorts - bermudas - hiking - capri - but only the BOLD in

spirit go about in short shorts - appetizers for the bears - - -

Harold ! Egad put some clothes on -

It is warmer than you think in Alaska - it is NOT a winter cruise vacation you know !

YES you see PR photos of winter glad gear for guests visiting a glacier by helicopter.

One would respect wearing the proper gear if stranded on/in an ice box of sorts.

Brief exposure (did I just say that) is OK but frown upon in the Main Dining room.

You are pushing it expecting to get an Alaska SPA sun-tan.

The legs are the last to experience frostbite - go for it !

I wear summer weight thigh length KILTS everywhere in Alaska -

it is a better conversation starter - - -

Hahahaha!!!!!

On 2/4/2023 at 7:21 AM, thesmiths said:

Is this common on Alaska Cruises?

We are Cruising in May.

No uncommon. 

Shorts with a sweatshirt, etc. 

Just be comfortable. 

Alaska is all about layers. 

On the ship and in port.