Disembarking at Cape Liberty

Seasick John

We’re on a transatlantic cruise from the UK to New York in October.  We’re from the UK so we’ll need to go through border control and passport checks etc. Is this done on the ship prior to arriving in New York or do we all need to queue when we get to the cruise port? If so, can anyone tell me how long this generally takes please as we need to catch a flight from Newark on the same day.

The fact that you are from the UK doesn't make any difference about CBP. Everyone needs to go through CBP. Assuming Cape Liberty is your first US port, you will go through as you leave the ship. Assuming you have a later flight, shouldn't be an issue.

Thank you, I’m trying to gauge how long it will take to go through this process, do you know if this is generally fairly quick or are people regularly queuing for a couple of hours? I only ask because we’ve been to the US several times and have often had to queue at airports for an hour or more.

18 hours ago, Seasick John said:

We’re on a transatlantic cruise from the UK to New York in October.  We’re from the UK so we’ll need to go through border control and passport checks etc. Is this done on the ship prior to arriving in New York or do we all need to queue when we get to the cruise port? If so, can anyone tell me how long this generally takes please as we need to catch a flight from Newark on the same day.

They’ll be trying to get you off the ship and out of the cruise terminal as soon as possible -so unless you were foolishly hoping to catch a morning TA flight (which means 8:30 AM or earlier) you will have ample time.  Unless there is a major delay in arrival, you should be on your way by about 11::00 AM at latest

Edited by navybankerteacher

To some extent the delay through customs will depend on the size of the ship and the number of non-US citizens.

If the flight is latter in the day it should be OK.  The cruise terminal is only about 25 minutes from the airport.  

As was previously stated the recommendation is to arrive at the airport 3 hrs before flight time.

On 2/5/2023 at 9:50 PM, Seasick John said:

Which ship are you on  ?  we are on NCL Getaway in October , Southampton to New York and are trying to find out where we will be disembarking 

On 2/5/2023 at 4:50 PM, Seasick John said:

What ship are you on?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2023 at 4:50 PM, Seasick John said:

Please be aware that transAtlantics usually require crew to also go through immigrations.  In Miami they insisted on clearing the crew first.  We also arrived before the agents were there.  The staff told us they were often delayed 2 hrs before passengers could disembark.   

remember too that these ships are sailing again that day and the terminals often have to be clear before boarding passengers can enter.

given all that the last time I came through Cape Liberty, on the Anthem but not TA, I was impressed with the organization and the number of agents.  It seemed very well organized.  And, yes I remember other cruises where even the luggage porters stood 2 hours in the lines and that were closed loop!