TRANSPORTATION

johnnydeo

Uber or taxi should take about the same amount of time and cost about the same ($15, give or take, before tip).

That's the way to do it, either way. We typically go with Uber because the taxi drivers can be a bit gruff, but it's a short enough trip. 

Do not take the Celebrity shuttle unless you like being on a bus with 30 strangers. We always do a taxi or Uber for around $20 each way.  We have learned to get private transportation to any port and bypass the expensive and crowded cruise line shuttles. 

14 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:
  • Uber or Lyft for sure. Just be sure to request an XL since you have luggage.

The Uber XL is also good if you have more than 2 passengers.  We now take Uber to get to our home airport when we fly anywhere. They drop us off at the terminal and it costs way less than parking for a week. Our airport parking lots get so full on holiday weeks that you can drive around for some time to find a parking spot and then you have a long walk to the terminal.

Edited by terrydtx

13 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Do not take the Celebrity shuttle unless you like being on a bus with 30 strangers. We always do a taxi or Uber for around $20 each way.  We have learned to get private transportation to any port and bypass the expensive and crowded cruise line shuttles. 

terrydtx - we like to do private transfers as well.  Looking in Miami and having quite the time with several companies - being quoted higher rates than their websites and just overall very unprofessional people.  Also noticed that since our last cruise, their rates have skyrocketed for very short rides.  (of course, we have to factor in our lovely Canadian exchange).

We don't like to be left standing outside the port either, but we cannot take a regular taxi, as we have too much luggage.  Haven't tried Uber yet, but would rather have something prebooked for our arrival at the port. Any recommendations for private in Miami/Lauderdale area?

Thanks,

Canuck

14 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:
  • Uber or Lyft for sure. Just be sure to request an XL since you have luggage.

Maybe, maybe not.  DW and I usually travel with 2 backpacks, 2 roller bags, and a large hanging bag.  We've always gotten the normal UberX.  The only time things were tight for cargo was when the driver had a large jack in his trunk.  Now, we do always keep our backpacks with us, so that does allow for a bit more room in the cargo area.

If we needed a larger vehicle to carry passengers or luggage, then I would just go with a cab.  Any upcharge will be far less than what Uber or Lyft get for upgrading to XL (easily 1.5-2x what you pay for the regular car).

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, CanuckCruizer said:

terrydtx - we like to do private transfers as well.  Looking in Miami and having quite the time with several companies - being quoted higher rates than their websites and just overall very unprofessional people.  Also noticed that since our last cruise, their rates have skyrocketed for very short rides.  (of course, we have to factor in our lovely Canadian exchange).

We don't like to be left standing outside the port either, but we cannot take a regular taxi, as we have too much luggage.  Haven't tried Uber yet, but would rather have something prebooked for our arrival at the port. Any recommendations for private in Miami/Lauderdale area?

Thanks,

Canuck

In Europe we have very reliable private transport by using Viator and trip advisor. This year we found this site and are using them for our transports in Amsterdam and Athens after reading about them on CC. I was just looking at their website and they do Miami transports. Here is the link:

Miami, USA - Welcome Pickups

1 minute ago, terrydtx said:

In Europe we have very reliable private transport by using Viator and trip advisor. This year we found this site and are using them for our transports in Amsterdam and Athens after reading about them on CC. I was just looking at their website and they do Miami transports. Here is the link:

Thanks very much - I will look at their site.

Canuck

1 minute ago, CanuckCruizer said:

Thanks very much - I will look at their site.

Canuck

In Athens we booked a transport from the Cruise port to the airport for $130 for the 4 of us and the Athens airport is not that close to the cruise port. Celebrity wanted $69pp for their shuttle.  We fly to Santorini after the cruise are we are using them for our transport from airport o our hotel too.

10 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Not interested in Miami 

17 hours ago, johnnydeo said:

From Fort Lauderdale airport, best way to get to Celebrity Equinox cruise pier in Porr Everglades?

Cab 1 way?

Uber?

Shuttle?

Same for return?

We just did this to/from Equinox in FLL with a hotel stop in the middle.  We like private transportation and Larry's Limos is professional and quite reasonable.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, johnnydeo said:

If you have 2 suitcases will regular UBER be ok .or do I need Uber XL?

Cost difference?

Here in San Antonio the difference is $5-$10 to our airport from our home. Do not know in FLL as we always get the XL. The XL's we have used here are either an SUV or Minivan. If you have the Uber app you can check on prices on the site between the two vehicle types by doing a mock booking. We never pre book an Uber in advance, usually there are many waiting around the airport for rides.  After we get our luggage, I put in the Uber order and it arrives by the time I get to the Uber waiting area in the airport. I have found you pay more to prebook an Uber over ordering one when you need it.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, johnnydeo said:

If you have 2 suitcases will regular UBER be ok .or do I need Uber XL?

Cost difference?

easiest to do a mock booking -  Just put in Departing from look up your hotel and the Port Everglades Port 25.   

Prices are constantly changing due to demand but currently from Embassy Suite to Terminal 25  

Regular    8.94

Uber XL     14.49

Black          16.14

I always check both Uber and Lyft ans prices can be quite a bit difference if one is surging and one isn't

No problem with Regular with our luggage.   We often get an XL at Regular price if demand is low.    Last time in San Diego we got a Tesla -  really nice.

Edited by Jim_Iain

14 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

In Athens we booked a transport from the Cruise port to the airport for $130 for the 4 of us and the Athens airport is not that close to the cruise port. Celebrity wanted $69pp for their shuttle.  We fly to Santorini after the cruise are we are using them for our transport from airport o our hotel too.

Johnnydeo - sorry - didn't mean to hijack your thread - but most companies that do Miami also do Fort Lauderdale, as they are not far apart.  Terry was answering me.

Terry - did you know that on their website - they allow you to cancel 24 hrs ahead BUT there is a 20% cancellation fee or a free coupon to use in 1 year.  These days, anything can happen so I would prefer booking with a company with 100% cancellation refund.

Cheers,

Canuck

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CanuckCruizer said:

Johnnydeo - sorry - didn't mean to hijack your thread - but most companies that do Miami also do Fort Lauderdale, as they are not far apart.  Terry was answering me.

Terry - did you know that on their website - they allow you to cancel 24 hrs ahead BUT there is a 20% cancellation fee or a free coupon to use in 1 year.  These days, anything can happen so I would prefer booking with a company with 100% cancellation refund.

Cheers,

Canuck

Canuck, Yes I am aware of the cancelation fee, but this is not uncommon in Europe.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, terrydtx said:

Canuck, Yes I am aware of the cancelation fee, but this is not uncommon in Europe.  

Yes I have seen it.  The transfers we have booked in Europe for this year are 100% cancellation refund, as I have medical issues, so want to be sure that if something were to happen, we would get our money back. Some do charge 2.8% credit card fee though if you have to cancel.

Canuck