John Heald discusses new Carnival policy on gifts to crew from passengers

Honolulu Blue

With limited staff, the crew has less time to go on shore during port days. Last cruise we asked steward and wait staff if they needed anything while we were out at Cozumel.  They all wanted Doritos.  Go figure. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ChuckF said:

With limited staff, the crew has less time to go on shore during port days. Last cruise we asked steward and wait staff if they needed anything while we were out at Cozumel.  They all wanted Doritos.  Go figure. 

This. If you want to something for your cabin stwerd besides cash, Ask them if there is anything you can get them while on shore.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mz-s said:

Well according to the rules, you're not supposed to bring homemade goods onto the ship in the first place. So this is just a restating of that policy to begin with.

As much as you think homemade goods would be special, you’re doing it for you, not them.  Most likely that gesture is ending up in the trash

• Like 6

5 hours ago, rcrabb1513 said:

I have also witnessed a crew member gush over a guest that gave personal sundries like tooth paste.  These types of items are not provided by the cruise line and they have to use valuable shore time to go shopping.

That's the job.  There is a crew store and crew friends that can get exactly what they prefer, otherwise you pretend this is the greatest gift ever!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

I had 10 bottles of water left over last cruise and couldnt get my room steward to take them so i left them in cabin for the next occupants.  

The steward can't leave things behind like that. They were thrown away I'm sure.

• Like 5

Doritos and keychains don't pay the bills. If I call my mortgage company with those as payment in place of cash I am sure it would go over well. 

Just give them cash. It's their job to be nice. They will seem appreciative for a bottle opener from Lincoln,  Nebraska but I can guarantee you they would prefer cash.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, ChuckF said:

That is what we do... we ask our cabin steward and any others we have gotten to know what we can get them when onshore.  Most of the times it is some type of toiletry they have run out of, or snacks they cannot get on the ship.  Of course we also tip, but this is something else for them that they need/want.

9 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I do want to address something that many of you asked me yesterday and that concerns gifts for the crew. First of all there is a new guideline for this and it is to please only bring something that is factory sealed and still in the packet or box. Individual candy or cookies etc won’t be able to be taken by the crew I am afraid. This is for their safety.

Is this what he is referring to when he says factory sealed?

Image result for sealed us mint bags

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

35 minutes ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

And what's wrong with $2 bills?

• An urban legend claims that at one time, election rigging was common and the reward for a favorable vote was $2. There was a belief that politicians would purchase votes for $2 therefore, having a $2 bill could be seen as evidence that you had sold your vote. While most likely an urban legend, the myth still gave the bill a sinister reputation.
  • In the early 1920s, Prostitution was $2.00 a trick, leading some to refer to the bill as a “whore note.”
  • The gambling tracks have a $2.00 window, and if you won, many times you were paid in $2.00 bills. If you were caught with $2’s in your wallet it could lead people to assume you were a gambler.
  • The $2 bill was often thought to be bad luck, as “deuce” was a name for the devil. Recipients would tear off one corner, believing it would negate the bad luck of the bill. This caused many of the bills to be taken out of circulation as mutilated currency.

13 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

I can't think of one single reason why I would go on vacation and bring a gift for one of the employees.  Don't do it on land, why would I do it on a cruise?  Seems odd to me.

Tip? Sure.   A gift?  Don't understand that.

For most people and in most cases I would agree with you.  Cash is king.

We know we will always sun into Filipino crew members and my wife is Filipino, so in the past we have taken a few store bought goodies (e.g. polvoron)  that are beloved by Filipinos abroad, difficult to find here and impossible to find in the Caribbean.  These were extremely well received.

25 or so years ago we were on a cruise and took a blender (good old days!). Our room steward was fascinated by the "mixing machine" as he called it.  He was the happiest guy on the ship when we gave him the blender at the end of the trip.  Go figure.

I should add that in none of those cases did this reduce the normal cash gratuity that we gave.

Edited by irun5k

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:
  • An urban legend claims that at one time, election rigging was common and the reward for a favorable vote was $2. There was a belief that politicians would purchase votes for $2 therefore, having a $2 bill could be seen as evidence that you had sold your vote. While most likely an urban legend, the myth still gave the bill a sinister reputation.
  • In the early 1920s, Prostitution was $2.00 a trick, leading some to refer to the bill as a “whore note.”
  • The gambling tracks have a $2.00 window, and if you won, many times you were paid in $2.00 bills. If you were caught with $2’s in your wallet it could lead people to assume you were a gambler.
  • The $2 bill was often thought to be bad luck, as “deuce” was a name for the devil. Recipients would tear off one corner, believing it would negate the bad luck of the bill. This caused many of the bills to be taken out of circulation as mutilated currency.

The real reason is that $2 bills are so uncommon that many people don't think they are real.  I wouldn't be surprised if merchants (especially those outside the US) are reluctant to accept them as well.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, 1kaper said:

🎶You can't eat at everyone's house,

No, you can't eat at everyone's house🎶

Glad I'm not the only one who immediately thought of this hilarious TikTok trend!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ontheweb said:

But how much would you get if it has to go into a tip pool, especially if it was fleetwide?

Though you just might be tempted to not report it even if it meant losing your job. 😉

Don't get me started on that silliness again please  😇

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, staceyglow said:

The real reason is that $2 bills are so uncommon that many people don't think they are real.  I wouldn't be surprised if merchants (especially those outside the US) are reluctant to accept them as well.

I know the truth and will happily accept your $2 bills.

10 hours ago, staceyglow said:

Merchants in ports will not accept them and they won't accept damaged bills of any denomination

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

I know the truth and will happily accept your $2 bills.

When have you ever known a Carnival team member NOT to happily accept anything you hand them? It's called politeness. 

They would much rather have two singles. Anyone who hands out $2 bills to be "memorable" is just creating a hassle for them because they are harder to spend. 

• Like 6

Let's face it. When you give food, drink, and/or gifts (I won't even go into leaving them your leftovers), are you giving these to show your appreciation for their hard work and their ability to make your holiday special? Or, to make you feel better about yourself in the fact that YOU feel you have given them something that you consider "memorable"? My opinion is that you have made it about you.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

On 2/8/2023 at 8:57 AM, klfrodo said:

I can understand this completely.

I would imagine that something happened, and someone brought a home baked item that had a little weed in it. I would hope that no one brought something that was even worse.

I can just about guarantee that I know what happened.  A USPH inspector found unsealed food in a crew cabin, and marked the ship down for it.  The crew are not supposed to have any open food in their cabins.  Even things like chips should be in individual serving packages.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/8/2023 at 11:13 AM, stobe1 said:

I remember when I worked for tips during my college years. If someone had given me a gift I would have been insulted. I was working for money to support myself.  These people are no different. Instead of spending $10 on a useless trinket that is probably headed straight for the trash can anyway, give them that $10 instead. They work for money, not useless gifts and chachkies.

Exactly   And all those folks wanting to give them deodorant and body wash.....YIKES   How does that make the person feel.. GIVE the $$$$$$$$

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, momof4boys said:

Exactly   And all those folks wanting to give them deodorant and body wash.....YIKES   How does that make the person feel.. GIVE the $$$$$$$$

Like when a friend offers you a breath mint so you turn to the side, breathe into your hand to see how bad your breath smells?  🤣

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

And what's wrong with $2 bills?

We are friends with several crew members.  They have explained to us several times that since $2 bills are not common, they have trouble using them in places because they think they are counterfeit.   

• Like 2