Swimming with Pigs

chameleon77

My 9 year old and I did it last March. Think about it as a photo op. You take a little metal skiff for about a 5-10 minute trip to the "pig island." They give you instructions and when one group leaves, they let you go down to the beach. and the pigs are roaming about. They have a couple of the big pigs that you wait your turn and then attempt to hold onto while they swim toward camera. Then they have piglets that you can pick up and hold. The pigs do poop in the water and there are guys with nets that fish it out. If you don't want to swim with the big pigs, you can still stand ankle deep on the shoreline and feed the pigs. They have a few guys taking photos but they also let you take photos yourself. When you get home, you can go online and look at their photos if you want to buy. They were relatively reasonably priced.

As I said, it was more of a picture taking opportunity than active excursion but my 9 year old really had fun interacting with the piglets and we got really cute photos. It only took about an hour and a half so plenty of time left on our day. There are some youtube videos of others trips there. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Denversail said:

Never understood why people would want to do this. It just sounds disgusting. 

You've never been on a farm have you? Lots of "disgusting" stuff going on there. Everyone has their own disgust level. For some, it's cute. For others, it's...well apparently disgusting. I'd think one from CO would know better. What with rocky mountain oysters and all.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

And think about how the poor pigs feel about all this.

”Oh great, another boatload of tourists here to abuse us!”

I think it’s actually hysterical that folks are trying to mimick the island of exuma by bringing pigs to the beach. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

You've never been on a farm have you? Lots of "disgusting" stuff going on there. Everyone has their own disgust level. For some, it's cute. For others, it's...well apparently disgusting. I'd think one from CO would know better. What with rocky mountain oysters and all.

I don't crawl into the pigpen at the farm. 

1 hour ago, Kerry's Girls said:

I looked into it and the pigs are not well cared for, suffer from the sun, poor food and mistreatment.  If you love pigs, you won't participate in an activity like this.  

But you’ll be missing out on the most important part - the bragging rights!
”I swam with pigs. It was SO cool !!” 😠

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, farmecologist said:

I thought this was a joke when I first read the topic title...Honestly, very weird.

The weird thing it’s supposed to replicate this https://www.bahamas.com/experiences/official-home-swimming-pigs

Its like trying to replicate the ponies at chincoteague by bringing ponies to a random island.

• Like 3

On 2/8/2023 at 10:59 AM, sassycruiser said:

I have read that the pigs are not well cared for.  I don’t know if that is true but I choose to spend my dollars elsewhere.  

If this excursion loses customers and the pigs are no longer needed, they would be someone's pork chops.  I imagine the pigs prefer the excursion.

18 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

If this excursion loses customers and the pigs are no longer needed, they would be someone's pork chops.  I imagine the pigs prefer the excursion.

Pork chops and candied bacon while sitting on a gorgeous beach overlooking the Atlantic....that's my kind of day! 

• Thanks 1