Can we buy Plus onboard with OBC

Tedferg

10 hours ago, canloan said:

Can anyone confirm whether OBC can be used to purchase the Princess Plus package within the first two days once you are on board?

I bought it the first day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coral said:

I bought it the first day.

Thanks too for confirming.

I also should have included in my original post that we would be using non-refundable OBC (in case it makes a difference).

IIRC there are a few items that can be purchased pre-cruise using OBC, rather than waiting until boarding. Any chance someone has been able to use some of their OBC to buy the Plus-Premier upgrade ahead of time? I'm not overly concerned about doing the upgrade after boarding (after all, it's not like Princess will sell out of upgrades ;o) but it would be nice to be able to take care of it before sailing.

1 hour ago, canloan said:

Thanks too for confirming.

I also should have included in my original post that we would be using non-refundable OBC (in case it makes a difference).

Mine was also non-refundable OBC. No issues. I used the app. Though there were plenty of people selling it. I just wanted a drink on my first lunch in the dining room.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lx200gps said:

IIRC there are a few items that can be purchased pre-cruise using OBC, rather than waiting until boarding. Any chance someone has been able to use some of their OBC to buy the Plus-Premier upgrade ahead of time? I'm not overly concerned about doing the upgrade after boarding (after all, it's not like Princess will sell out of upgrades ;o) but it would be nice to be able to take care of it before sailing.

No you can not. Plus, for me, purchasing before getting on the ship cost more as it included the cost for additional Princess insurance.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Musky Ike said:

Keep in mind that if you wait until onboard to purchase the package you run the risk of yet another price hike happening before then.

Thank you for the caution about potential price increases.

The cruises we are looking at are in 2025, so that certainly is a risk to be aware of between now and then. 

• Like 1

For anyone who purchased the package when boarding the ship on the first day did they charge you any local taxes on that purchase?  I know if the ship is still in port, for example in LA, they charge the local sales tax on any drinks you may buy if you are not on the package. 

4 hours ago, hobo1937 said:

For anyone who purchased the package when boarding the ship on the first day did they charge you any local taxes on that purchase?  I know if the ship is still in port, for example in LA, they charge the local sales tax on any drinks you may buy if you are not on the package. 

No local tax bought in UK, Southampton. Actually our folio showed a $10 credit and referred to the Plus package. Never did understand the credit but did not enquire.

1 minute ago, Tedferg said:

No local tax bought in UK, Southampton. Actually our folio showed a $10 credit and referred to the Plus package. Never did understand the credit but did not enquire.

Mine did also. I was told it was to refund the cost to ship the medallion. Though I picked up the medallion at the pier.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hobo1937 said:

I bought mine in Vancouver and no tax. I am guessing no taxes as it is a package (tips, wifi, etc...)

5 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Good point, I had already been to guest services before being approached by crew membe

That makes sense, free shipping is a Plus perk. Though we too picked up at the port, so there was not a charge to refund.

I still got a refund (or $10 credit) even though I picked it up at the pier.

I actually purchased it quickly once in my room and realized later I should have given the credit to a crew member.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

I support the crew by giving them the sale but talk about an impossible goal for them to reach for time off and promotion!  The packages are pushed so hard prior to sailing and then you can just do it in the ap when you do board. They can’t catch a break here. I don’t think most people know that it benefits crew to give them the sale. 

• Like 2

On 7/30/2023 at 6:47 PM, Tedferg said:

Same here.  No additional taxes.  I asked at the front desk and was told they gave the $10 credit because they didn’t have to ship the medallion.  

• Like 1

Only ever had OBC once a couple of years ago and we already had the Plus package

DW spent hers on a week in Spa, I had $60 still left on the last day so bought a pair of Sketchers with it, best bit of money I've spent in a long time, still wear them almost daily and still have a lot of wear left in them.

11 hours ago, TN-Mountains said:

Same here.  No additional taxes.  I asked at the front desk and was told they gave the $10 credit because they didn’t have to ship the medallion.  

True, but are they giving back $10/pp or $10/cabin?  I asked about the shipping charge on separate thread because I am not sure when a couple orders their Medallions to same address, we know they come in a single package, so is that one charge of $10 or two charges of $10?  The latter doesn't make sense.

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

True, but are they giving back $10/pp or $10/cabin?  I asked about the shipping charge on separate thread because I am not sure when a couple orders their Medallions to same address, we know they come in a single package, so is that one charge of $10 or two charges of $10?  The latter doesn't make sense.

They gave us a $10 per person credit.  This was our 1st cruise since they started using medallions, so I'm not sure what they charge if they ship them to the same address.

• Thanks 1

On 2/8/2023 at 12:19 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

Not at this time. You may purchase up to 3 days in advance of sailing.  Only other options are the regular beverage packages such as soda and more.

You are WRONG  you can buy the -lus when you get onboard

One other consideration: if you're sailing out of Oz: your OBC will be converted straight USD to AUD 1:1 so you may lose money on the deal depending on what the pricing on the package onboard is sold as, USD or AUD...