Muster Drill

Tidalmist

2 hours ago, cruisingxpert said:

That's probably why they call you EasyGoingGuy😁  What A Market is on Riviera and said it 30 mins.

Well, we were chatting with a nice couple who sat down beside us so maybe the ‘probably’ time didn’t seem as long for us.  All I know is after we went back to the cabin and then made it to happy-hour @ 6 easily.

• Like 1

It’s amazing the vast number of Oceania cruisers that refuse to listen and abide by directives given by ship officers, the cruise director, destination services, tour guides, and that further complain about participating ins SAFELY drill. Maybe it’s the Oceania way.

If an emergency aboard ship ever did occur hopefully it would take hours to unfold. All of those above would continue to ignore the warning blasts of the horn and any direction from the ship’s officers because that’s who they are and what they do. It would take hours, with disabled elevators and oblivious passengers, to ever get to their lifeboats. 

It’s actually sad listening to people ***** about having to attend a simple safety drill. 🥺

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

If an emergency aboard ship ever did occur hopefully it would take hours to unfold. All of those above would continue to ignore the warning blasts of the horn and any direction from the ship’s officers because that’s who they are and what they do. It would take hours, with disabled elevators and oblivious passengers, to ever get to their lifeboats. 

It’s actually sad listening to people ***** about having to attend a simple safety drill. 🥺

Yes remember when the Insignia fire happened

some complained  that   all the crew ran out of the dining room so they never got their breakfast   & some went leisurely on with  their day while the  crew were racing around checking cabins for  pax   to tell them to get off the ship

😲

8 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Yes remember when the Insignia fire happened

some complained  that   all the crew ran out of the dining room so they never got their breakfast   & some went leisurely on with  their day while the  crew were racing around checking cabins for  pax   to tell them to get off the ship

😲

It’s who they are and what they do.

Of course, this is combined with all the posts proclaiming “ I’d Sue”! I’d Sue! 🙄

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

It’s amazing the vast number of Oceania cruisers that refuse to listen and abide by directives given by ship officers, the cruise director, destination services, tour guides, and that further complain about participating ins SAFELY drill. Maybe it’s the Oceania way.

Yes this is why I always pay extra attention to the drill.   I assume I'll be assisting the crew with all the clueless....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

No problem with the actual onboard “safety drill”, watched and nearly memorized the video online at home & again in the cabin once onboard. Very disappointed with the joking by the drill leader about the drill - isn’t this a “serious” subject? Who are the dozens of inconsiderate passengers who somehow miss the starting time of 4:45 and enter the Marina Lounge @5:15? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Norseh2o said:

Who are the dozens of inconsiderate passengers who somehow miss the starting time of 4:45 and enter the Marina Lounge @5:15? 

There is a long practice among certain Oceania regulars to hit Martinis before 5, while the elevator are still running, so not to have to manage the stairs once the drill begins. 

Typically those showing up late to drills are: (1) The Obvious (2) Newbies incapable of managing the stairs after the elevators are shut off; (3) the jerks that just try to hide believing the rules don’t apply to them.

On the Marina in 2019, our reporting station was the GDR. It actually became sport to BOO and HISS all those late comers , holding the entire exercise up, while being delivered in by Security. 

• Like 2

On 2/11/2023 at 8:06 PM, pinotlover said:

On all three voyages we have sailed since Covid, we have watched the video as directed, upon arrival in our stateroom, we viewed the muster station diagram on the door and then proceeded to the muster station as we have done pre-covid.  There was always a staff member at the muster station to check us in and every time they offered to show us how to put on the life vest.  On all three sailings, the captain announced the procedures throughout the ship and sounded the alarm to alert us to the signal.  Passengers who had not followed protocol and did not visit their muster station or did not watch the video were compelled to do so prior to sailing.   Sadly, the same people who won't follow directions will not be compelled to do so by attending an in-person muster drill.  

• Like 1

I forgot which cruise line I had sailed some time back, (HAL, perhaps?),  but the announcement clearly stated that anyone found avoiding the muster drill would be promptly disembarked.

I believe international “SOLAS” regulations require that action…

• Like 1

One point I have yet to hear regarding the benefit of in person muster drills is that the true benefit may be more for the crew than for the passengers.  The crew rehearse a variety of emergency situations on a weekly basis and going through those motions certainly helps but doing so without passengers eliminates a significant variable.  The stories told on this and other threads strongly indicate that dealing with passengers that have never experienced an emergency (and perhaps don’t understand or care about it anyway) can never be replicated without those passengers in attendance.  In an emergency, however unlikely, we will rely on the professionalism of the officers and crew to ensure that we remain alive at the end of it and few minutes out of my vacation is a small price to pay.

• Like 3

I would prefer the chaos of the muster drill rather than experience that chaos in a real emergency.  Any little practice will help folks to know what to expect and how to react in a real emergency.  An online demo doesn't provide that.

• Like 7

58 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

I would prefer the chaos of the muster drill rather than experience that chaos in a real emergency.  Any little practice will help folks to know what to expect and how to react in a real emergency.  An online demo doesn't provide that.

Plus 1.

• Like 1

The trouble  is  no one ever thinks a "real emergency situation" will happen to them

We were on HAL  standing out smushed together under the lifeboat   while  6 people behind us were  drinking & chatting so load we could not hear the instructions

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, LHT28 said:

The trouble  is  no one ever thinks a "real emergency situation" will happen to them

We were on HAL  standing out smushed together under the lifeboat   while  6 people behind us were  drinking & chatting so load we could not hear the instructions

Prior to Covid, we were on a cruise with a large international clientele.  It was shocking to see so many people rudely chatting and laughing when the instructions were in a different language.  On another cruise, we stood for 30 minutes next to a couple whose baby wailed during the entire presentation.  Although, he did calm down for the sounding of the horn.  

Those passengers who talk and laugh during the drill or show up 30 mins late to the drill are the same ones who disregard departure times for tours, return to the bus late, talk while the guide is explaining the tour sites etc. And I bet they're the ones that act like they've never eaten before in Terrace and Waves.

Sorry....back to the topic of Muster Drill.....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vaitape said:

Those passengers who talk and laugh during the drill or show up 30 mins late to the drill are the same ones who disregard departure times for tours, return to the bus late, talk while the guide is explaining the tour sites etc. And I bet they're the ones that act like they've never eaten before in Terrace and Waves.

Sorry....back to the topic of Muster Drill.....

Plus 1.