I took one for the team: Pork and Beans

rmalbers

2 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Snicker worthy  items that appear on MDR menus on various cruise lines are the various shanks of various animals (yes, osso buco is a peasant food), short ribs, pork belly, grits (or polenta which is basically the same low cost carbohydrate), meat loaf, and fried chicken (especially wings).

I think I remember Chicken ‘N Waffles on one of Celebrity’s menus.  Catering to their new demographic?😂

12 minutes ago, Stem to Stern said:

I think I remember Chicken ‘N Waffles on one of Celebrity’s menus.  Catering to their new demographic?😂

I saw Chicken N Waffles on a Royal Caribbean cruise a month ago.

Royal Caribbean definitely has reached bottom and is interchangeable with Carnival. 

My cruise on the Constellation a year ago had me wondering if I had mistakenly booked a Carnival Cruise.  Luckily, the Millennium Alaska cruise five months later was better.  

3 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

I saw Chicken N Waffles on a Royal Caribbean cruise a month ago.

Royal Caribbean definitely has reached bottom and is interchangeable with Carnival. 

My cruise on the Constellation a year ago had me wondering if I had mistakenly booked a Carnival Cruise.  Luckily, the Millennium Alaska cruise five months later was better.  

We were on RC about a month ago and, honestly, the food was better than our last Celebrity cruise

37 minutes ago, Stem to Stern said:

Which demographic? 

Great thing about food and cruises is that there are so many different types, someone can usually find something that will satisfy them or spark an interest to think outside the box of their norm and give something different a try.   I love steak. But if that chicken is perfectly prepared, the waffle is warm and there’s warm maple syrup I’ll take it over steak because it’s not something I could normally find.  Steak I can get anywhere, any day.  

Isn’t it great that life is so full of choices no matter the demographic. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RTR 21-0 said:

Great thing about food and cruises is that there are so many different types, someone can usually find something that will satisfy them or spark an interest to think outside the box of their norm and give something different a try.   I love steak. But if that chicken is perfectly prepared, the waffle is warm and there’s warm maple syrup I’ll take it over steak because it’s not something I could normally find.  

That is is a lot of conditions to be met.  

Remember I saw this dish on Royal Caribbean which, if it met the same standards as other food prepared on my cruise, means it is a piece of gristly chicken coated in a greasy flavorless flour served with a cold waffle that has been sitting under a heat lamp and artificially maple flavored corn syrup. Yum!

• Haha 1

On 2/11/2023 at 2:01 PM, rmalbers said:

Not sure if this has been posted before but I thought in the name of 'research' I would try the pork and beans.  Summary, I'm not a fan but here is what you get:  (actually, it looks better in the picture than it was, LOL) 

20230202_181836.jpg

Can you believe! Not an upscale menu.

18 minutes ago, Linsie said:

Can you believe! Not an upscale menu.

Why not? I get the OP saying it wasn't cooked as well as they'd like, but it looks like a creative pork dish from the photo, and I can't taste it in the photo. It looks like something I'd find in a French restaurant (other than it would probably have a big side of pommes frittes).

4 hours ago, gold1953 said:

We took one for the team as well. We asked to have our bologna slices at breakfast fried. It was good..lol

A true soul food for some of us . Great childhood memories!!

That does bring back childhood memories and I don’t think I’ve had a fried bologna and tomato sandwich since I was a child - long time ago.  Mom fixed that for our lunch a lot during the summer.  I’ve also heard of Poutine and if I ever get to Canada it’s the 1st thing I’m trying! 

Edited by RTR 21-0

3 hours ago, Homosassa said:

That is is a lot of conditions to be met.  

Remember I saw this dish on Royal Caribbean which, if it met the same standards as other food prepared on my cruise, means it is a piece of gristly chicken coated in a greasy flavorless flour served with a cold waffle that has been sitting under a heat lamp and artificially maple flavored corn syrup. Yum!

I’m a Southern girl so that chicken has to be just right.  Not a lot of floured coating.   If I was served the chicken & waffles you saw on RC I would have headed to the pizza counter lol.  

We just returned from sailing on Constellation and I tried the pork and beans on the MDR menu and contrary to previous comments I found it very good and the pork tenderloin was tender and beans well seasoned. No I'm not a food philistine. Food in Qsine was excellent although some diners didn't understand the purpose of the show. Arguments broke out, no kidding. Tuscan grill not bad, crab cake marginal, pastas not great but steaks good. 

• Thanks 1