Starlink on Windstar - now on Star Pride

ciaoYacht

7 minutes ago, ciaoYacht said:

Anyone traveling on the Pride have experience with the new wifi service?

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/windstar-cruises-to-add-starlink-internet-service-to-entire-fleet.html

Will be traveling soon on Pride and excited to see how this is working out.

Should work fine except where Starlink does not yet have coverage.

15 minutes ago, marinaro44 said:

Should work fine except where Starlink does not yet have coverage.

Looks like per their coverage map it is available in parts of Puerto Rico (San Juan area) and St. Barts, both of which are on my upcoming cruise.  Not sure if this is available on the sea as the map only shows over land coverage.

https://www.starlink.com/map

Edited by ciaoYacht

• 2 weeks later...

Nice that WS finally got a better wifi. The old one was awful.  WS needs to upgrade themselves to include internet complimentary for all guests.  It's the way we communicate.  It is not a luxury item. For many, it is crucial. I sail on other lines that include internet in their fare.  The cost of WS internet is absurdly high.  When I sailed on WS, I use my AT&T plan in ports. Not ideal, but refuse to buy WS internet. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, triom said:

I'm currently on Windsurf and Starlink is active. It is great to have a more reliable internet connection!

image.thumb.png.2d3c4c79bb1f053f8ad3e86a75bbd637.png

That's certainly adequate.  It's interesting to note that Starlink is capable of 10X that download speed.  Much depends on how the cruise lines chose to implement it (throttling, onboard infrastructure, etc.)

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to hear that StarPride has Starlink since we will be on board in a little over a month (Iceland).  About two years ago we did a cruise around Italy on Wind Surf and the internet performance was very good... as good as I have seen on a ship.  Then, about 3 months later, we were on Wind Surf again, in the Caribbean, and the internet was terrible.  Everyone was complaining.  Since I have an IT background, I talked to the ship's engineer (responsible for the internet connection) and he gave me several excuses which did not make sense.  Between the two cruises, the Wind Surf had spent a month in drydock for the usual annual "tune-up" and I suspect something was done, intentional or otherwise, that drastically impacted the internet connection.  Even after follow-up letters to WS, I never got a reasonable explanation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We disembarked Star Breeze in Vancouver on Thursday.  Starlink was up and running and a huge improvement. We never had any issues with browsing or streaming.  While we never used Facetime (or similar), we did use WiFi calling and regularly received text messages.

• Thanks 1