I have a question

hinterlandboyz2

26 minutes ago, caribill said:

It should not have caused a problem except it appears Princess did not want to spend money to purchase the kettles.

Plus of course mugs, trays, milk sachets, coffee sachets and tea sachets etc etc.

Someone somewhere just thought it was just too much time and trouble (plus money of course)  for a single six month season.

16 hours ago, caribill said:

It should not have caused a problem except it appears Princess did not want to spend money to purchase the kettles.

Keep in mind that I am coming from the viewpoint of a non-coffee drinker (or tea as well).  I'm not at all familiar with the kettles...not sure I've ever seen one on a ship.  Surely these kettles are not disposable, are they?  If so...then I understand, but if they are NOT disposable wouldn't they already have tons of these things sitting in a storeroom/closet just waiting for use?

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Keep in mind that I am coming from the viewpoint of a non-coffee drinker (or tea as well).  I'm not at all familiar with the kettles...not sure I've ever seen one on a ship.  Surely these kettles are not disposable, are they?  If so...then I understand, but if they are NOT disposable wouldn't they already have tons of these things sitting in a storeroom/closet just waiting for use?

Not disposable.

But if the ship was not originally scheduled to be based in the UK, Princess did not have the kettles just waiting to be put into cabins.

So  we were on the Diamond Princess , cruised out of San Diego, 20 day cruise   It left on Nov 27th.

We had a kettle in our cabin. We were in a  full suite on Caribe deck aft.

So surprised. We actually had packed Via  instant coffee so made it every morning. Also got tea bags from the buffet. Our friends cruising with us in balcony cabins didn't have one. And another friend with

also a suite didn't either. So don't know if it was left over from when the ship was in Asia .

Enjoyed having it. It had a automatic shut off so it was safe to use. Water boiled very quickly.

3 hours ago, san diego sue said:

So  we were on the Diamond Princess , cruised out of San Diego, 20 day cruise   It left on Nov 27th.

We had a kettle in our cabin. We were in a  full suite on Caribe deck aft.

So surprised. We actually had packed Via  instant coffee so made it every morning. Also got tea bags from the buffet. Our friends cruising with us in balcony cabins didn't have one. And another friend with

also a suite didn't either. So don't know if it was left over from when the ship was in Asia .

Enjoyed having it. It had a automatic shut off so it was safe to use. Water boiled very quickly.

Can you remember if it used the 120 volt socket or the 240 volt socket?

6 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

My home kettle does not have an automatic shut off.  Of course, it is the kind of kettle you put on top of the stove.

Ha !

Those are virtually extinct in the UK, unless of course you have an Aga.

9 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

If Princess supplies you with a kettle, does Princess also supply a Brown Betty, mugs or tea cups (I don’t want to start a debate about mugs vs cups!), tea balls, etc.?

No idea what a Brown Betty is (doesn't sound politically correct !) but yes, you get assorted tea bags, coffee sachets (normal and decaff) milk, sugar/sweeteners and of course mugs and tea spoons. The steward refreshes all the supplies daily,  provides clean mugs etc. 

Brits, being Brits, will naturally bring their own favourite tea bags with them, but we are more than happy with the PG Tips supplied by Princess.

What is a tea ball ?

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

I bought one but still haven't used it. 😉

I think you are one of many ! Just too much of a faff, and for someone like me, who is happy with a simple cup of "builders",  just a waste of time.

One of those things that people buy and then put in a drawer and forget about. 

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1

As an aside, we are on Sky in April immediately after her TA. 

It will be interessting to see if all the cabins recieve kettles, mugs, tea bags etc during the short turn round !

It is a lot of extra work for the stewards on an already busy day.