Help me decide!

ChinaShrek

I am thinking of booking either the Carnival Horizon Southern Caribbean cruise out of Miami OR the Carnival Pride Panama Canal - Partial Transit cruise out of Tampa. Both cruises leave on February 17, 2024 and both are 8 nights. Originally, I was thinking of booking the Panama Canal cruise because I really want to see the Canal but I am worried about the number of sea days and how old the Pride is. The Horizon seem to be a more modern ship and we would be going to Bonaire and Curacao where I have never been. Which would you book? I will be traveling solo if that matters. Thanks.

I love Pride and love sea days and have never done the Panama Canal cruise so that would be my choice.

I also cruised solo on Pride for the 14 day Journey's in 2020 and met a great bunch of people.

Cruised Pride 7X, never sailed on Horizon but have done a multitude of Caribbean cruises!

A panama canal cruise is not your traditional cruise...I recommend this video so you can sort of understand what makes it different.

Watching this video helped me decide a panama canal cruise is not for me - YET. But I plan to do one someday.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, mz-s said:

A panama canal cruise is not your traditional cruise...I recommend this video so you can sort of understand what makes it different.

Watching this video helped me decide a panama canal cruise is not for me - YET. But I plan to do one someday.

I just watched the video. Do you think the Pride has enough viewing areas or a promenade deck?

5 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

I just watched the video. Do you think the Pride has enough viewing areas or a promenade deck?

The pride is an older ship so there arent really as many viewing areas as some of the others. I had this cruise booked before and it got canceled. Im doing the Southern Caribbean out of Miami on the Horizon in Sept. Weve done it before and its our favorite itinerary.

Both itineraries are great. I love Spirit class ships in general, but if you choose Horizon make sure to get a Havana cabin if it is in your budget. It is well worth having your own private pool, hot tubs and bar without the crowds.

15 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

I am thinking of booking either the Carnival Horizon Southern Caribbean cruise out of Miami OR the Carnival Pride Panama Canal - Partial Transit cruise out of Tampa. Both cruises leave on February 17, 2024 and both are 8 nights. Originally, I was thinking of booking the Panama Canal cruise because I really want to see the Canal but I am worried about the number of sea days and how old the Pride is. The Horizon seem to be a more modern ship and we would be going to Bonaire and Curacao where I have never been. Which would you book? I will be traveling solo if that matters. Thanks.

I don't have too much to say on your subject, but I wanted to note that I've done both these itineraries and both of these ships.  Both cruises are good; I don't think you can go wrong with either.  Have fun with whatever you choose.

48 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I don't have too much to say on your subject, but I wanted to note that I've done both these itineraries and both of these ships.  Both cruises are good; I don't think you can go wrong with either.  Have fun with whatever you choose.

Thank you! That makes me feel better.

• Thanks 1

I've done both and been on both ships.  No wrong choice.

Oh, and Pride is PERFECTLY suited for the Canal.  She's a Panamax ship utilizing the old locks. And she literally might be my single favorite ship in the fleet because of the amount of public space.

• Like 1

Guest BasicSailor

Like many here I've enjoyed both ships and ports.  Panama is 

on Pride,an older less bells ship. I've been there and done that. If I were to choose Horizon all day long over the ships in question.

Panama is something you should do at least one time if not just for the history of the locks. Understanding that There's is more bob wired buildings and rough areas that are just not safe to wonder around in.  Some of the beaches (if you're doing a beach excursion) are not safe or clean as the restroom facilities are drained into the same water you will be swimming in.

Edited by BasicSailor

23 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

I am thinking of booking either the Carnival Horizon Southern Caribbean cruise out of Miami OR the Carnival Pride Panama Canal

Hi 🙂

I personally would choose the Horizon sailing. I notice one of the ports of call is Aruba. That port alone is a wonderful bonus to an itinerary.

Whichever ship you decide, have a terrific voyage!

🍹

Just now, ObstructedView2 said:

Hi 🙂

I personally would choose the Horizon sailing. I notice one of the ports of call is Aruba. That port alone is a wonderful bonus to an itinerary.

🍹

Thank you!

1 hour ago, ObstructedView2 said:

Hi 🙂

🍹

I'm on the dream 14 day which kinda does both. Colon Panama is a port, it is not a partial transit. You have to pay for a excursion. 

But we do also see costa Rica and Colombia and aruba and curacao.  I choose it for the ports.  Next Jan. It's been a long wait. I'd have picked the partial transit and some on my roll call changed to that one, but from Galveston I did the best I can do, a little of both. 

6 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I'm on the dream 14 day which kinda does both. Colon Panama is a port, it is not a partial transit. You have to pay for a excursion. 

But we do also see costa Rica and Colombia and aruba and curacao.  I choose it for the ports.  Next Jan. It's been a long wait. I'd have picked the partial transit and some on my roll call changed to that one, but from Galveston I did the best I can do, a little of both. 

I'm on this cruise too!