Ascension Dropped

englishlee

We are on the Cape Town - Gran Canaria cruise in February 2024. Has anyone noticed or been told that AZ seem to have quietly dropped Ascension Island?

It's still shown on the map on the cruise page, but it's disappeared from the day by day itinerary and the 'View At A Glance' itinerary, as well as the excursion page.

It was there a few weeks agao when I last checked.

From my perspective it's hugely disappointing as it was one of the ports of call I particularly wanted to visit (been to most of the others), but also disappointed that AZ haven't informed me - or presumably anyone else.

You're right! I'm so glad you posted this information! I checked the ports listed in My Account for this cruise and it's not there. We weren't notified either, but we booked through a travel agent and she usually gets the notifications first.

The only reason we booked this cruise was Ascension Island. Our Dad was stationed there during the war for almost 4 years. He was in the Army Air Corps because he was a watchmaker and serviced the airplane instruments. The planes flew over the Atlantic searching for German ships and submarines. He took a lot of photos while he was on Ascension and I've been looking for a way to get there for several years. This is really disappointing. If this holds true, we'll cancel.

I'm going to talk with our Travel Agent. In the past she's been able to move our deposit to another cruise. The question is do we want another Azamara cruise given all the issues we've had. We're taking AZ around Japan in a month. I might wait to see how that goes before I decide what to do. If there are issues again.... I don't know.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CynthiaP said:

I'm going to talk with our Travel Agent. In the past she's been able to move our deposit to another cruise. The question is do we want another Azamara cruise given all the issues we've had. We're taking AZ around Japan in a month. I might wait to see how that goes before I decide what to do. If there are issues again.... I don't know.

I can understand that. I will be doing the around Japan trip in 2015, but we have a couple of AZ cruises in March and April this year to enjoy yet.Hopefully you'll find something else to enjoy although sadly not Ascension.

9 hours ago, englishlee said:

Unfortunately we don't have the option of cancelling, if we did we'd lose our deposit. We'll still go but it'll be less interesting as a result of this. I'm hoping it's just a glitch but I'm expecting it not to be. 

What about the UK law that allows you to cancel for major changes in itinerary?

Dropping one port would not count as a major itinerary change. Changing port hours is of no real interest to us (may be different for others) and we tend not to do ships tours so although they may be valid points to some unfortunately not to us. I'd rather they look to put in an alternative port but you would think they would do that before changing the itinerary online (which they've already done). Potentially if St Helena is missed due to poor weather (which often happens) then we'll have 9 consecutive sea days - not ideal. In spite of that we'll probably stick with the itinerary because there's stuff we want to do in SA before boarding.

• Like 1

I'm also booked on it & it looks like they have dropped the calls on the equivalent 2025 itineraries too.  Ascension still shows as a Maiden Port for 2024 & the itinerary map still shows on the Azamara website, but when you scroll through it shows as a sea day.  

Edited by LaCroisiereS'amuse

I’m on this cruise as well and I’m currently on Onward.  I asked a cruise again associate onboard to print the current itinerary for the Cape Town to Canaries cruise and I’ve attached it below.  I asked if he knew why the change was made and he couldn’t find the reason.  He said we should receive notification of the change in due course.  Regards, PaulD522CE02-816C-45C1-A188-6F0B05220B2E.thumb.jpeg.b37813cbf420c0e030ebaaf2abcec5e9.jpeg8F43A942-1E84-41D5-A5E7-4E96AD72E323.thumb.jpeg.c71f3e853826acb7e717539bace66fe9.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, englishlee said:

Thanks for that. Not surprised, just disappointed but at least it confirms what I thought. A lot of consecutive sea days now as well.

11 of 18 days on the cruise are sea days.  Not one that I would want to take.

DON

I would imagine that it's lack of facilities. As far as I know,Ascension just doesn't have the infrastructure to cope with 700 tourists arriving at one time. The population is only about 800 and those are all involved with the various 'organisations' that are based there. I was pleasantly surprised when they included it in the itinerary but did wonder how they'd cope / orgainse tours etc.

19 hours ago, LaCroisiereS'amuse said:

My travel agent asked the question & the Azamara call centre just confirmed that the call was cancelled on all cruises that featured Ascension, but they couldn't confirm why.

I had asked the Cruise Again staff to look into this issue.  Today I spoke with the manager and she advised me Ascension had denied Azamara landing authority.  She didn’t know the specific reason but I would imagine englishlee’s assessment is spot on.  The only other factor I can think of would be to avoid a Covid outbreak in such a remote location.  The manager also advised all booked passengers would be receiving a communique from Azamara listing several options after the new I.T. system was up and running at the end of March. She also confirmed St. Helena is a tender port.  Regards, Paul