Have to cancel

janetz

Suppose to sail the Bliss today with friends from up north

My husband has come down with a virus and we will have to cancel 

So bummed

Our TA does not open till 10

My question, do we call NCL or have the TA do it? 
Thanks ahead 

Actually, I'd question whether you "have" to call at all. As far as I know, there is no contractual obligation on the guest to call, correct? Given that this is the literal day of sailing, what is the real difference between calling and just being a no-show?

We've never had to cancel quite *this* close to sailing.

Is there any recoverable expense at this point?  Is it worth the trouble to contact NCL, or would being a no-show be the same?

The latest times we had to cancel were about 2 weeks prior to sailing date, and about 5 days, both due to medical emergencies.  (One was DH; the other was very elderly MIL.  We had travel insurance both times [thank you, fellow CC members!], and we notified the travel insurer, and then the pre-cruise hotel, and then the cruise line.  No refunds were possible at that late date.  For the second, our airlines awards points were re-bankable.)

GC

Your travel insurance might require you to cancel, and might not cover a no-show. For example, here's wording from Allianz's trip cancellation insurance:

IMPORTANT: You must notify all of your travel suppliers within 72 hours of discovering that you will need to cancel your trip (this includes being advised to cancel your trip by a doctor).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SeaShark said:

Actually, I'd question whether you "have" to call at all. As far as I know, there is no contractual obligation on the guest to call, correct? Given that this is the literal day of sailing, what is the real difference between calling and just being a no-show?

6 hours ago, janetz said:

Suppose to sail the Bliss today with friends from up north

My husband has come down with a virus and we will have to cancel 

So bummed

Our TA does not open till 10

My question, do we call NCL or have the TA do it? 
Thanks ahead 

It actually depends on the documentation the your insurance company requires. Always better to get an official cancellation and documentation that you cancelled.

That being said, DH needs to go to Urgent Care to document his illness. Eventually, the doctor will need to complete a formal declaration that DH was unfit to sail. 

Thanks all

The TA took care of it

My husband became ill last night around suppertime.

He was running a fever and a few other things

Cruise was today so we had to cancell and of course no one to notify until talking to the TA finally at 10:30 this am

So yes, a no show.

We have insurance and hopefully will be ok 

How can you do the 72 hour thing when you get sick at the last minute? 
First cruise in many we have had to cancel

13 minutes ago, janetz said:

Thanks all

The TA took care of it

My husband became ill last night around suppertime.

He was running a fever and a few other things

Cruise was today so we had to cancell and of course no one to notify until talking to the TA finally at 10:30 this am

So yes, a no show.

We have insurance and hopefully will be ok 

First cruise in many we have had to cancel

The documentation from a doctor is critical to get reimbursed from insurance. Has your husband been seen at urgent care or your doctor office or a medical care facility?  Have you contacted the insurance carrier to find out what they need to start the claim? 

Hope he feels better soon. 

19 minutes ago, janetz said:

9 hours ago, palpieha said:

IMPORTANT: You must notify all of your travel suppliers within 72 hours of discovering that you will need to cancel your trip (this includes being advised to cancel your trip by a doctor).

I'm not sure that the 72 hours means 72 hours prior to departure.

He did see he doctor on Friday, after being sick on Thursday

He was pretty good Friday

Doctor told him to go unless he spiked a fever, etc

After midnight Saturday, he spiked a fever again and still had it early this morning 

So he did see his doctor and we will be bringing him some paperwork to fill out

So the process is started and he is still feeling lousy 

Have not cruised since right before Covid

Our friends flew down from Mass to meet us at port, we were all so excited 

Such a disappointment but better to be home then be onboard 

28 minutes ago, janetz said:

After midnight Saturday, he spiked a fever again and still had it early this morning 

You should probably get SEEN by a physician ASAP.  Not doing so *prior* to cancelling can be a reason for insurance denial.

No, that doesn't mean it would happen in your case, but why tempt the fates?

IF he has that letter from a physician stating "patient may not travel" (or similar wording) based upon being seen in a TIMELY fashion. then insurance shouldn't be a problem.

About the 72 hour advance notice (or 48, per our insurance policies), that's usually for CFAR, when the traveler has some discretion about going vs not going.

When it is a sudden medical problem, there's no similar time constraint EXCEPT being SEEN by a physician in a timely fashion and getting that paperwork filled out/signed.

The physician can sign the formal paperwork later.  The "timing" refers to being SEEN by the physician who is then able to tell you "no traveling", etc., before the travel is cancelled.

GC

• Like 1

@janetz to get your money back from the insurance claim, you need a doctor statement declaring that your husband should not go on the cruise. It sounds like you saw a doctor who said your husband was safe and healthy to cruise UNLESS he had a fever.  You will probably need a doctor statement to confirm that your husband DID have a fever. Have you filed an insurance claim in the past? 

if not, please listen to the advice you are getting as the insurance companies require proof from a doctor to pay on the claim. 

4 hours ago, janetz said:

So you cancelled a vacation for four (or more) because somebody had a 24 hour thing?

@janetz I hope your husband is feeling better. 

When you cancel a cruise at the very last minute (or anytime within the 100% penalty period), NCL will refund all of your pre-paid, non-cruise-fare expenses, such as the service charges for the FAS beverage package and specialty dining package, taxes and port fees, shorex, the daily service charge if you pre-paid it, etc. 

Assuming you have travel insurance and had to cancel for a covered reason (which seems the case here), that should take care of your cruise fare. 

2 hours ago, LloydJr said:

So you cancelled a vacation for four (or more) because somebody had a 24 hour thing?

My husband is still ill…

He had a fever yesterday 

Are  we suppose to try and get on a ship while he most likely has a virus?

Yes, when we saw his doctor the fever was not there and he felt ok at that time, just tired 

50 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

@janetz I hope your husband is feeling better. 

When you cancel a cruise at the very last minute (or anytime within the 100% penalty period), NCL will refund all of your pre-paid, non-cruise-fare expenses, such as the service charges for the FAS beverage package and specialty dining package, taxes and port fees, shorex, the daily service charge if you pre-paid it, etc. 

Assuming you have travel insurance and had to cancel for a covered reason (which seems the case here), that should take care of your cruise fare. 

Hopefully 😊 Thank you

We Never had to cancel a cruise before

He is a very young, active 81 and rarely gets ill 

😊