Caribbean Princess - suites

jules815

My husband and I have cruised many times with RC, Celebrity, a couple of times with Carnival and most recently with MSC in their YC.

Found out yesterday that we're invited to a wedding in Fort Lauderdale in April 2024. Thinking as long as we're down there already...

Looking for a ship that sails on Sunday from Fort Lauderdale or Miami and our options are Princess, RC and Carnival. Even though it's been a few years since we've sailed with them, we're still a little burned out with RC's eastern/western routes. I don't think my husband would be interested in Carnival again, but their itinerary looks nice, very similar to the Caribbean Princess itinerary. We watch a lot of YouTube bloggers about cruising and have been wanting to give Princess a try and this seems like the perfect time.

We're in our early 60's, recently retired, and a few years ago when the nest became empty, started sailing in suites. Can someone explain the differences between a mini suite and a full suite? (Mini like a Jr. on RC?) I was doing a mock booking and toward the end of a reservation there were 3 options for add-ons, which included different levels of drink packages and dining. It looked like the one in the middle would suit us best. Can someone explain that in a little more detail? Are drinks not included with a full suite and no matter what category room you select, you choose one of those add-ons while booking? Not even 100% sure we'd book a suite.

Also, your thoughts on this ship? Can you tell me a little bit about it?

Thanks in advance for the info. 

Julie

Full suites are larger than minis and come with more perks like Sabatini’s breakfast, free laundry and one time mini bar but no category comes with drinks, WiFi and gratuities for those you either need a package like Plus. Go to the Princess website to find all the perks for each category 

• Thanks 1

Mini suites are inappropriately named.  It's too bad that as Princess rebrands the Club Class mini suites to Reserve Collection mini suites that they don't get rid of the mini suite designation.  The appropriate way to think of Princess mini suites is more like a deluxe balcony cabin.  The mini suite cabins are quite a bit longer than a regular balcony cabin, long enough that you have a nicely sized sitting area with a couch and coffee table.  There are also 2 TVs in the room, one in the sitting area facing the couch and another in the bedroom facing the bed.  The bathroom in mini suites is also larger with a tub/shower combo instead of just a standing shower.

Most of Dolphin deck on the Caribbean Princess is mini suites.  All of these have fully uncovered balconies.  You either love or hate the fully uncovered balcony.  If you want a mini suite that has a covered balcony, there are a limited number of them on Emerald deck aft.  They are very desirable because their balconies are fully covered by the mini suite balconies above them on Dolphin deck.  The compromise here is that those Emerald deck mini suites with the fully enclosed balconies are right above Club Fusion, so there is a chance for late night noise from the night club creeping into your cabin.

Aside from the larger cabin and better bathroom, the mini suites don't come with any extra perks.  If you opt for a Reserve Collection (Club Class) mini suite then you have access to Reserve Collection (Club Class) dining in the MDR for all meals served there and I think you get two half bottles of wine in your cabin at embarkation.  The Club Class dining area is just a section of one of the dining rooms that is specifically reserved for people sailing in CC cabins and full suites.  You get much faster seating, usually with no wait, and there is an additional menu item or two offered in CC dining which isn't available in the rest of the MDR.  Also a few dishes which have table side preparation.  I like Club Class dining, it is just a notch above MDR, but the biggest benefit is that you are unlikely to wait to be seated.

Full suites are much larger, generally two cabins in width or larger, with an equally wide balcony and a very large and well appointed bathroom, and a whole bunch of additional suite perks.  The additional suite features are too extensive to list here, but you get a mini-bar setup in your cabin, MDR menus and food are available for room service delivery to suites while the dining room is open, priority embarkation and disembarkation, separate disembarkation lounge with snacks and beverages, priority boarding on tenders and water shuttles, a complimentary specialty restaurant dinner on embarkation, no charge access to the thermal suites or Enclave at the spa.  And on and on.

It is kind of difficulty to fully quantify if either Princess Plus or Premier is a good value for you.  That is an evaluation you'll have to do for yourself.  But I think Plus is a pretty good value considering that it includes your crew gratuities, Internet access for one device (per passenger with Plus), no-charge beverages for anything that is $15 or less, no charge for deserts which have a price tag (not sure which deserts have this, but I know that gelato is included in this category) and a number of other additional services at no cost.

If you have more specific questions, I'd be happy to answer those if you post them.

• Like 4

If you're trying to compare to a Junior Suite on RC, it really depends on which class you've been on in one of those.  I'd say the mini suite on Caribbean Princess is closest to the Junior Suite on a vision class ship, such as Rhapsody.  On the Explorer, the Junior Suite was much, much larger and nicer than a Princess mini suite.  The full suite on Princess is a really nice experience.  The only thing we miss is that we fee the suite lounge on RC ships is much better.  (Not even sure there is one on Caribbean Princess.)  The Sabatini's breakfast is on par with the Chops breakfast on RC.  

One consideration is that with the Premier Package on Princess, it appears that you can purchase the perks such as reserved theater seating that are included with suites on RC.  So if you care more for the perks than the space, you can save quite a bit and still get a luxury experience with a Reserve mini combined with a package.

Edited by Fa-Li
spelling

55 minutes ago, kokopelli-az said:

Here's a list of the perks for full suites:

https://www.princess.com/learn/ships/staterooms/suites/

Attached are a couple of photos taken of our stateroom on the Caribbean Princess last year, plus our (free) mini bar setup.   

Window Suite F315 Caribbean Princess.jpg

Caribbean Princess Window Suite.jpg

A free mini bar.jpg

Looks like a Window Suite (Caribbean Princess) on Fiesta Deck 6.

3 closets / 21 drawers / full suite bathroom with shower and bathtub.

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Looks like a Window Suite (Caribbean Princess) on Fiesta Deck 6.

3 closets / 21 drawers / full suite bathroom with shower and bathtub.

It is.   But no bath tub, only a roll-in shower.  It's the accessible window suite.  F315.  We'll be in the same stateroom in April.    

On 2/24/2023 at 4:21 PM, kokopelli-az said:

It is.   But no bath tub, only a roll-in shower.  It's the accessible window suite.  F315.  We'll be in the same stateroom in April.    

We have this same suite in April.  Can you share your experience in it?  Good, bad? Is the door in the corridor as loud as some say?  Is there a strong cigar/cigarette smell?  Thanks!

13 hours ago, Guardsy said:

We have this same suite in April.  Can you share your experience in it?  Good, bad? Is the door in the corridor as loud as some say?  Is there a strong cigar/cigarette smell?  Thanks!

April?   I hope it's not the same week we'll be in F315 😉    We love this suite and honestly, I can't think of one thing negative about it.    F315 is right next to the one door and we never heard anything door-wise.   And zero cigar/cigarette smell.  I've attached some more photos for you.   I'd book this suite again in a heartbeat.   

IMG_20220614_131757223 2xx.jpg

Private entrance to Fiesta Suites 234.jpg

Window suite access bath 222.jpg

Window Suite access bathroom 222.jpg

23 minutes ago, kokopelli-az said:

April?   I hope it's not the same week we'll be in F315 😉    We love this suite and honestly, I can't think of one thing negative about it.    F315 is right next to the one door and we never heard anything door-wise.   And zero cigar/cigarette smell.  I've attached some more photos for you.   I'd book this suite again in a heartbeat.   

IMG_20220614_131757223 2xx.jpg

Private entrance to Fiesta Suites 234.jpg

Window suite access bath 222.jpg

Window Suite access bathroom 222.jpg

Thank you!  Yes, April 1.  Appreciate the feedback and photos!

1 minute ago, kokopelli-az said:

Take care of the ship and F315 in particular 😊    Our cruise is April 22.  

You live in Washington !!??   Where?

Ridgefield.  On I-5, just north of Vancouver, WA.