Boston hidden Gems, cheap eats, stuff!

Joesantos

I have been looking at hotels in Boston....sticker shock!  Have not found anything less than around $400 a night.   We will pay what we need to, but would prefer to spend on food, not hotels!  So we don't need 5 star.  Just location.  There are 4 of us, so we would need 2 rooms.   Thinking about looking for a airbnb.  

11 hours ago, itsanita said:

I have been looking at hotels in Boston....sticker shock!  Have not found anything less than around $400 a night.   We will pay what we need to, but would prefer to spend on food, not hotels!  So we don't need 5 star.  Just location.  There are 4 of us, so we would need 2 rooms.   Thinking about looking for a airbnb.  

Look for somewhere close to a subway stop - tis calledThe T in Boston. We booked the youth hostel (private room) in January thinking prices would get better - they haven't - we go late July.  Have a look for a hostel with private rooms there are several in the China town area 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lissie said:

Look for somewhere close to a subway stop - its called The T in Boston.

Boston in an expensive hotel city, and you may also need to expand the areas in which you're looking. Hotels are generally priced based on proximity to important commercial centers, so you may want to look further out, beyond the Boston city limits, but still near the T. My suggestion is to use Google Maps, turning on the Transit layer, and then search for hotels. You'll then be able to look at hotels near T stations and stops with approximate rates displayed. Just be careful to look for hotels near stations and stops, and not just near T tracks. Also be careful to focus on rapid transit and streetcar routes, both of which have frequent service, rather than commuter rail routes, which have less frequent service. It will still be a challenge, but at least this strategy provides some focus for looking. For example, using this strategy I see that the Holiday Inn Boston Bunker Hill Area, in Somerville approximately 1/2 mile from the East Somerville T station, is generally available for as low as $147 per night (I make no assessment as to the quality of the hotel). Certainly not as convenient as being in central Boston but more affordable.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, lissie said:

Look for somewhere close to a subway stop - tis calledThe T in Boston. We booked the youth hostel (private room) in January thinking prices would get better - they haven't - we go late July.  Have a look for a hostel with private rooms there are several in the China town area 

HI Hostel Boston (near Chinatown) is the only hostel recommended on TripAdvisor.  I used to live in Boston and heard good things about it . . . and not good things about other options

5 hours ago, Nitemare said:

HI Hostel Boston (near Chinatown) is the only hostel recommended on TripAdvisor.  I used to live in Boston and heard good things about it . . . and not good things about other options

Yes we're staying at the HI Boston - also looked at the Found Hotel which is nearby but the rooms were smaller . The area looks very convenient. 

15 minutes ago, lissie said:

Yes we're staying at the HI Boston - also looked at the Found Hotel which is nearby but the rooms were smaller . The area looks very convenient. 

Found and Revolution are other options that have some shared facilities and some private ones.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2023 at 9:29 AM, Blackduck59 said:

We are booked at the Hyatt Place Boston Seaport, we went through booking dot com and the cost is $550.00 US for 2 nights.

Nice location for the cruise and right across the street from an outdoor music venue.  You may hear the music from your room if you face that direction.  Whether you want to or not!  🙂

• Thanks 1

On 6/25/2023 at 12:29 PM, Blackduck59 said:

We are booked at the Hyatt Place Boston Seaport, we went through booking dot com and the cost is $550.00 US for 2 nights.

Sold out for out dates.  Darn!

Hiya, folks.  Our first cruise on a Princess ship and we will be in 'Bahston' 😉 for the day in early Oct.  The Museum of Fine Arts looks great as does the Isabelle Gardner Museum.  Any other suggestions that aren't food (I have celiac disease) or American Political History?  I haven't been thru Boston for about 30 years.

On 7/7/2023 at 11:35 PM, canadjineh said:

Hiya, folks.  Our first cruise on a Princess ship and we will be in 'Bahston' 😉 for the day in early Oct.  The Museum of Fine Arts looks great as does the Isabelle Gardner Museum.  Any other suggestions that aren't food (I have celiac disease) or American Political History?  I haven't been thru Boston for about 30 years.

Fenway Park tours are popular.  Bike tours along the Charles River.  Art Galleries on Newbury Street.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2023 at 10:17 AM, Nitemare said:

There are a good 20 decent hotels within a half mile of the Freedom Trail, assuming that's "walking distance"  If you can share you budget per night in USD, exact dates, and bedding/room needs we can make some suggestions.

For history you can't been the Omni Parker House.  Right on the trail

We are staying at the Omni Parker, will it be easy to identify the trail?

50 minutes ago, sueandtimj said:

We are staying at the Omni Parker, will it be easy to identify the trail?

Right out the front door. 

You should Google it so you know a bit about it, how near it is, and how much history is involved