Boston hidden Gems, cheap eats, stuff!

Joesantos

If you’re in decent shape Boston is a wonderful place to visit! If you want a cheap day off your cruise ship you can walk to Harpoon Brewery beer hall. It’s a ways and a cab or Uber better. ICA art museum is next door too. 
Catch a ride to Hanover St. The Italian area. Galleria Umberto has excellent pizza and other specialty. Modern pastries for cannolis and expresso coffee. Regina original pizza nearby and excellent. Excellent Italian food on and off Hanover Street. 
J Hooks for excellent lobster rolls and chowder. Sail loft restaurant for excellent chowder. Boston island harbor tours excellent to old civil war fort prison. Cash is king in the North end. Paul revere museum and freedom trail. Public gardens are wonderful. All is walkable but if you can’t there are duck tours and hop on buses near the sea aquarium which is cool too. Fanuel hall Quincy market is a great tourist attraction but food much better in North End Hanover street.  Boston improv comedy club is on Hanover with evening shows if you’re staying overnight.

Great walking around city if you’re in decent shape!

• Thanks 1

Harpoon is a 6 minute walk from the cruise terminal, per Google Maps.  ICA is another 6-7 minute walk further.  I don't think a cab or Uber would appreciate a drive from the terminal to the Brewery, but it is a good suggestion to visit.

Nice suggestions in the North End.  I worked near there 4-5 years ago.  Almost never needed to use cash, so I'm not sure if things have changed since then.

There's definitely places in the north end that still only take cash.  Have some on hand just to be safe, you wouldn't want to miss out on a delicious pastry. Take the silver line to South Station and hop over to the red line at Park street. Walk out of the T and you'll be right downtown on the common.  Looking at the State house, Boston Common, Public Garden, statues and things, all free.

• Thanks 1

On 2/23/2023 at 9:22 PM, rdmurray said:

There's definitely places in the north end that still only take cash.  Have some on hand just to be safe, you wouldn't want to miss out on a delicious pastry. Take the silver line to South Station and hop over to the red line at Park street. Walk out of the T and you'll be right downtown on the common.  Looking at the State house, Boston Common, Public Garden, statues and things, all free.

Thanks for your suggestions.  I have not been to Boston in many years and are not familiar with the pier area.  I have been to most of the tourist stops, so looking to hit Fanuiel Hall and, Boston Common.   How easy is it to get to the T from the pier?  

The Silver line, pulls up basically at the corner of the street by the ship. I have taken the silver line to the ship. 

You can see the bus stop if you google earth 2 design center place, on the right you will see a bus pulling toward the curb.  Look to the left and you will see two buildings The ship will be behind them. The furthest building is where you get on and off the ship. 

It will take you to South Station and you can transfer to the red line and take it to park street.  It's so easy. 

• 2 weeks later...

If you love to stroll then Boston is for you! You can hit the Freedom Trail which will weave you past lots of great sites (both historical and just so Bostonian).

My suggestion is to start at the Boston Public Gardens/Commons

-Take a ride on the Swan Boats in Boston Common (inexpensive at $4 and no reservations needed) Take a Ride | Swan Boats

-Walk around the public gardens and commons

-Then start walking the freedom trail at Boston Common: Start the Freedom Trail (U.S. National Park Service) (nps.gov)

*While certain historical sites on the trail have higher visitation fees if you want to go in, such as Paul Revere house/Old North Church, the NPS has a free app for the walking tour part so you don't need to spend $ to get the history.

-Stop in the North End (Salem and Hanover streets) and enjoy this unique area. So interesting, lots of great cheaper eats (like the original Pizzeria Regina) pastries/coffee at Modern Pastry. Lots to see and smell! 

You'll get lots of steps in, get a real feel for Boston, and not break the bank. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Alaska2019cruiser said:

If you love to stroll then Boston is for you! You can hit the Freedom Trail which will weave you past lots of great sites (both historical and just so Bostonian).

My suggestion is to start at the Boston Public Gardens/Commons

-Take a ride on the Swan Boats in Boston Common (inexpensive at $4 and no reservations needed) Take a Ride | Swan Boats

-Walk around the public gardens and commons

-Then start walking the freedom trail at Boston Common: Start the Freedom Trail (U.S. National Park Service) (nps.gov)

*While certain historical sites on the trail have higher visitation fees if you want to go in, such as Paul Revere house/Old North Church, the NPS has a free app for the walking tour part so you don't need to spend $ to get the history.

-Stop in the North End (Salem and Hanover streets) and enjoy this unique area. So interesting, lots of great cheaper eats (like the original Pizzeria Regina) pastries/coffee at Modern Pastry. Lots to see and smell! 

You'll get lots of steps in, get a real feel for Boston, and not break the bank. 

Done it over the dozen past years...

On 3/16/2023 at 11:35 AM, Nitemare said:

Can you tell us what else you HAVE done so we don't waste your time suggesting things you have already done?

On 3/16/2023 at 11:35 AM, Nitemare said:

Can you tell us what else you HAVE done so we don't waste your time suggesting things you have already done?

We have done many things in Boston...but 50 years ago almost doesn't count.  Historical sites haven't changed, but I know the city is totally different from what I remember.  Believe it or not, we were staying for a business conference at the Parker House the night John Lennon was killed.  That was our last stay in Boston.  I think we will take up the suggestions for riding the T into the Commons and walking around finding a great restaurant, having lunch, checking out to see if Faniel Hall has changed, and then walking around until we get lost. 

Edited by Nashna
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

My son lives in Boston so we've visited most places already but he suggested the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. He said it's his favorite. It's in an old house and there is some kind of mystery attached to it. We're going in Sept.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cleophus12 said:

I really like the Freedom Trail idea if the weather is nice.  What is the best way to get to Boston Common from the port?  Taxi?  Uber?  Subway?

It is a longish walk, but you can do most of it along the Harbor. It's probably 45 minutes plus. You can take the Silver Line to South Station and then the Red Line to Park Street. Or a Lyft/Uber. If you go that route, I'd recommend walking to the Design Center (giant white building across from the port) and requesting from over there. I kind of hate Boston taxis ....

On 5/23/2023 at 1:22 PM, CaribbeanBound said:

The mystery is "Who stole all the paintings?".

Netflix tackled this question recently in a worthwhile movie entitled, "This Is a Robbery: The World's Biggest Art Heist," 

Thanks - I have  the museum on my list for our pre-cruise Boston stay - but hadn't heard of the movie 

23 hours ago, cleophus12 said:

I really like the Freedom Trail idea if the weather is nice.  What is the best way to get to Boston Common from the port?  Taxi?  Uber?  Subway?

Don't walk this stretch from the cruise port to downtown-- it has very little historic character and is mostly a bunch of newer high-rises and chain restaurants. Save your walking for the Freedom Trail-- much better use of your energy and more importantly limited time. 

Personally I would take an Uber/Lyft to save time but you can also take the Silver Line SL2 line to South Station and walk from there. 

If you do the full Freedom Trail, take the MBTA ferry from Charlestown Navy Yard (where the USS Constitution is) vs backtracking over the same parts you walked back to the North End. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lissie said:

Thanks - I have  the museum on my list for our pre-cruise Boston stay - but hadn't heard of the movie 

It is much more than "an old house".  It's a full mansion with a world class collection of art from the greatest artists ever.

At least read the Wikipedia article about it and the theft before you go, it will really add to the experience

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nitemare said:

It is much more than "an old house".  It's a full mansion with a world class collection of art from the greatest artists ever.

At least read the Wikipedia article about it and the theft before you go, it will really add to the experience

it is a unique museum.  it was her home where she displayed her collections.  Very interesting.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2023 at 4:19 PM, scrapncruz said:

My son lives in Boston so we've visited most places already but he suggested the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. He said it's his favorite. It's in an old house and there is some kind of mystery attached to it. We're going in Sept.

If you like mystery stories read Murder At The Gardner. During your visit you’ll see the sedan chair. The garden court at the Gardner is stunning 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I love all of the above ideas.  We will be there for a couple days pre cruise, no car.  

Us girls love to walk and are history nuts, so the Freedom Trail is perfect for us. 

The guys have some mobility issues, so was thinking of  hop on hop off bus ride as well, so they can see some of the sites.

Any suggestions for a hotel within walking distance of the Freedom Trail and the hop on hop off?  Or at least what 'area' we should look at?  

On 6/17/2023 at 5:50 AM, itsanita said:

I love all of the above ideas.  We will be there for a couple days pre cruise, no car.  

Us girls love to walk and are history nuts, so the Freedom Trail is perfect for us. 

The guys have some mobility issues, so was thinking of  hop on hop off bus ride as well, so they can see some of the sites.

Any suggestions for a hotel within walking distance of the Freedom Trail and the hop on hop off?  Or at least what 'area' we should look at?  

There are a good 20 decent hotels within a half mile of the Freedom Trail, assuming that's "walking distance"  If you can share you budget per night in USD, exact dates, and bedding/room needs we can make some suggestions.

For history you can't been the Omni Parker House.  Right on the trail