Considering first time grand cruise South America

JSR

I am tired of being cold and am considering the South America Grand Cruise 2024 on Silver Nova, 72 days FLL to FLL. I have a few questions and appreciate the help. This is a leap for us as we have never cruised more then 21 days and that was b2b on two different ships. We have only taken one small ship cruise on Silver Moon and we are headed on our second on Silver Endeavour. Our style has changed in retirement and are less interested in cruises to relax and more interested in cruises to see and experience places therefore the small ships with longer itineraries are appealing. 

Advice Please: Pros, Cons, Tips from those of you who have taken the longer cruises. Especially tips and thoughts on your first one. We like this itinerary because we only have to fly to Florida, it is warm, and really fun with Carnival, the Panama Canal, the Amazon, and even a penguin or two. It fits our available time nicely, it is a new ship, and cabins are available. It is pricey but that is to be expected. 

Finances:

I have heard reference to discounts, OBC, etc that some TAs offer. I am not asking for their names however, I would like to know what the range of offers people have received such as % discount, or OBC amounts and if these agencies are internet only low service, or full service TAs. 

Thank you everyone for your help. 

Just now, pavementends said:

If you're going where the penguins don't fly it will not be warm there.

I remember reading about the need for yellow fever vaccination for trips in this area. Might want to check that out before you get too deep into planning.

This cruise does not go into the Arctic. It was a bit chilly as the cruise negotiated the Chilean fjords. But otherwise it is generally warm and sunny. It is a great change from the winter in many parts of North American.  

• Like 1

I think you’ll find it can be somewhat similar to a WC if only in the fact that Grand Voyage folks can be a bit cliquish, sticking to themselves and not welcoming others to join in their groups.  It wasn’t any big deal to us taking a single voyage, just different, as we had never experienced such a vibe on board SS before.

Edited by Stumblefoot

1 hour ago, JSR said:

Is there a problem with getting a yellow fever shot I should know about? 

It wasn't recommended for folks over 60 in Canada especially for those who have not received this vaccine before.  We got an exemption because of our age and had no problem boarding with the exemption card.

Hi JSR.  I can only share our experiences on this itinerary having done it 2 & 3/4 times, the last being when COVID stopped us in our tracks in 2020 in Recife on the Shadow GV.  This cruise is a wonderful way to get outta' Dodge for the winter months & you are so correct about the advantage of no long flights for US/Canada passengers & you'll find a large number of repeat passengers.  Silversea provides a wonderful pre-cruise experience in FLL or MIA with hotel & festive "getting to know you" dinner. Our first in 2017 didn't have one, the 2018 was at the Ritz-Carlton, FLL & the 2020 at the Biltmore in Miami. There are also many GV events on board & on land.  As there are a lot of sea days, there is always a bridge director/instructor if you are interesting in learning or playing, trivia, cooking demonstrations, guest entertainers & many cultural entertainers who come onboard in various ports.   Two of the 3 we did involved Carnival & the Silversea experience as beyond wonderful... fabulous seats at the Sambadrome - many shuttles to get you back to the ship at various times since the festivities go on until 4-5 a.m.   They go all out - so much so that I'm thinking of doing it again in 2024!  I highly recommend it & if I can answer any specific questions, bearing in mind that the last one I did was in 2020, I'll be happy to do so.  Happy planning.

• Like 1

It depends on what you are looking for.  Escape from the cold? – check.  In depth exploration of Patagonia? – fail.  We are just back from Odysseys-Unlimited's Patagonian Frontiers trip from Buenos Aires (with Iguazu Falls) to Ushuaia, four-night in-depth cruise of the Chilean Fjords and Glaciers (and Cape Horn) on Stella Australis, 3 nights in Torres del Paine national park, ending with Santiago and Valparaiso Chile.  This itinerary, like most South America loop cruises, only gives you the Readers' Digest [or less] version of those sights.

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

This itinerary, like most South America loop cruises, only gives you the Readers' Digest [or less] version of those sights.

Totally correct. These loop cruises are superficial if you want to see stuff.  You need to find a trip like Seabourn Quest which includes Antarctica and South Georgia as well as mainland SA.  And the new Nova (or Nova nouveau) is a bit on the large side. 

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, JSR said:

Another post said that they found out about the vaccine issue late in the day and had to do some fancy footwork to deal with it.

I was just down "there." Buenos Aires was hot but Ushuaia was cool and windy (though not cold like Antarctica). At least some of the trip will be chilly.

About Antarctica and other more expedition-oriented tours- like the Magic Theater Antarctica is definitely Not For Everyone. Rewarding but definitely different from a luxury cruise.

23 hours ago, JSR said:

I got one at age 65 when I went to Kenya and Tanzania. Tanzania requires one if coming from Kenya (which we were), and I didn't want to deal with trying to get an exemption. I had no issues with the shot.

Thank you all for your responses. All very helpful. 

Yellow Fever Vax- Just had our physicals a few hours ago and our PA said she would defer to the travel clinic doc. She said there is increased risk at our age but it is still low. 

@Stumblefoot We found the lack of engagement by other cruisers on the Moon last summer unwelcoming. I believe it was the tail end of a GV. It is one reason my DH is hesitant to sail SS again. We are on Endeavour this June so hopefully we will find that our Moon experience was the exception and not the rule. We did meet a couple towards the end of the Moon cruise that had the same experience and were glad to connect, they were young enough to be our kids, we are early/mid 60s. 

@Host Jazzbeau @Fletcher We are most motivated by warm weather, FLL departure, cruising the Amazon and Carnival. Since we are going to the Arctic this summer and I am more polar bear then penguin we are good with the whirlwind circumnavigation. I am a very active paraplegic so I do have limitations on hiking etc. 

@nowornever Thank you. I will take you up on specific questions as they arise. It always takes me a bit more planning because of being a full time wheeler however, I always manage to find unique and interesting things to do. We are not keen on bus tours so we always book our own excursions to both gty accessibility and to many times have unique experiences. 

We are excited at the prospect of taking this cruise. More research to be done and then we shall decide. Thanks everyone for your continued input. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

About yellow fever.  I am going to Djibouti very shortly and wondered about yellow fever requirements there.  Our 10-year certificate expired last year.  However, on a NGO but UK Foreign Office approved website it seems that the jabs are deemed to last for life and that no country can deny entry if you produce an out-of-date certificate.  I also believe UK citizens over the age of 65 are rarely given the jab and can obtain exemption certificates.

https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/country/65/djibouti#Vaccine_recommendations

About credit cards in South America.  Prior to our trip last month I read several disturbing posts on Cruise Critic about restaurants apparently ripping off customers with multiple charges for one meal.  That may have been possible with the old technology, but we experienced the portable machines everywhere we charged things:  tap your card, push the green button, and a receipt spits out the end.  The waiter never takes possession of your card, so there is no possibility of bogus charges.  [Have now had time to go through the statements and ... tada! ... no bogus charges.  Also terrific exchange rates!]

• Like 2

@nowornever Would you mind giving me some details about the Carnival experience in Rio. What type of seating did you have in Sambadrome? Do you remember the section number? What type of transportation did SS provide from the ship to Sambadrome- bus, car?

thanks,

Jean

What hostjazzbeau is saying may be true should your waiter bring the machine to your restaurant table. However, do take note: Technology per se can be irrelevant. Should that waiter show you the bill and take your card to the cashier’s desk you will be exposed to fraud. Best then to follow the waiter to the cashier and witness the transaction. Then you might have a degree of control. Or better  yet just pay in local currency cash,

Happy and healthy sailing!

Hi JSR - bus transportation to the Sambadrome started about 8:30'ish (???).  We had dinner onboard prior to the busses - the restaurant opened earlier than usual for the pax going to this. Our seats were at the ground level at about the "20 yard line" at the far end of the stadium.  They were magnificent. In 2017, it was the actual competition & in 2018 it was a parade of the winners.  Silversea began return transportation about 11 & then shuttled until the early morning hours.  There is the first "samba" which lasted until about 11 with a break & then the others began.  We stayed for the first & part of the 2nd & then returned about 2 a.m.   It's a wonderful experience! I'd be happy to send you photos if you can somehow disguise your e-mail address here.  At least on the Muse & the Spirit, we were docked near a dilapidated parking garage where the busses pulled in to pick up & drop off.  Easy & it's probably a 1/2 hour trip to the Sambadrome.  I envy you your upcoming trip.  It's amazing!  You will see so many amazing sights!  Of course it's not an in depth study...it's a cruise!  Happy planning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Have to jump in about Grand Voyage passengers being unfriendly. The one time we were on a single segment at the end of a World Cruise we were afraid that we would be out of place and not feel out of place. To the contrary, we were treated like celebrities. The World Cruisers must have been sick to death of eachother! 

The irony is that when cruising my husband and I always preferred to be alone and we sat by ourselves in the bars and restaurants. Not on this cruise! There was no escaping the bonhomie of our fellow passengers. Almost 15 years later I am still occasionally in touch with a few of them.

So, worry not about The South American cruise. I’m sure you’ll have a great time!

• Thanks 1

@nowornever thanks for the information I’d love to see photos rtravel at aol dot com. I’d also love to hear more about any of the ports that stood out or any unique things you did in them. Thanks so much. 

@CruisinPashmina thanks that warms my heart to hear. We love meeting people on our cruises. 

I sent you several Carnival photos so please let me know if you received them.  If that worked, I'll send you thoughts on ports.  Just so many lovely memories of people as well as ports.  It's just a wonderful experience &, even though the 2020 COVID cruise didn't end well - quarantined in Recife until various authorities could sort it all out - it, at least started out beautifully.  Not every port is a WOW port - some are a little down & out, but you'll get a good overview of South America. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

While I would love to do a South America itinerary it probably won’t happen.  First of all my wife’s hematologist has recommended against her getting the yellow fever vaccination because of an autoimmune blood condition.  Secondly, she works for the Federal government and is subject to getting some potential  overseas travel reviewed and approved.  A real pain and it has caused us to cancel or not book a few cruises.  Not sure of South America travel restrictions at this very moment but suffice to say it has been an off and on situation over the past couple of years.   Makes it hard to seriously consider.