How brutal is it to fly into LaGuardia Airport: LGA for a Cape Liberty(Bayonne Cruise)

Jimbo

13 minutes ago, markeb said:

There's a longer stop at NYP generally, so more time to get off and on your way. 

Scratch that. You're going to Newark, not NYP. It won't be a long stop, but you'll have time. At that point, it seems like most people (including me when I'm on the train) are going into Manhattan. And the conductors swap out at the next station. They'll generally take care of you, and may be able to get you a Red Cap when you get off.

5 hours ago, markeb said:

Just saw this. Amtrak recommends being there a half hour before the scheduled time. 

I just pulled up the timetable, and it looks like 176 starts in Roanoke. Even better. They might start boarding early, but you're not standing there for the train to come in and have 2 minutes to get on. The NE Regional has quiet cars. That will either be the second car or the next to last car. No cell phone use or loud conversations. If you decide to do business for the slightly larger seat and free drinks that won't apply. Hop on, find a seat, and wait for the train to roll. There's a longer stop at NYP generally, so more time to get off and on your way. 

If there a big difference between the coach and business class cars? I'm thinking why not go for  business class since it's a pretty long ride, Might as well be as comfortable as you can.

I'm thinking line up an Uber from our house around 4:30am, get us there around 5:30am, should give us time to get checked in and get on the train between 5:45am and 6:15am for the 6:20 am departure, buy our tickets ahead of time, seems like we can pre pick our seats too if I'm reading that right.

Uber has to be cheaper then paying the $12 a day parking for 15 days.(only need the Uber one-way from our house to the Roanoke station.)

Pretty sure after the cruise we are going to get a rental car and go see some relatives in NJ on Thursday and Friday and will drive back with rental on Saturday.

Edited by Jimbo

There’s no actual check in. You just board when they start boarding. They’ll typically check your tickets (I just use the app on my iPhone) once the train is rolling. It’s absurdly simple. 

For that length of time, business might be worth it. You get free coffee and soft drinks, but you have to go to the cafe car to get them. You should be able to find the cafe menu on the Amtrak site. That’s your food service. Get there 30-45 minutes early, but you may not board until 10-15 minutes before the train leaves. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, markeb said:

There’s no actual check in. You just board when they start boarding. They’ll typically check your tickets (I just use the app on my iPhone) once the train is rolling. It’s absurdly simple. 

For that length of time, business might be worth it. You get free coffee and soft drinks, but you have to go to the cafe car to get them. You should be able to find the cafe menu on the Amtrak site. That’s your food service. Get there 30-45 minutes early, but you may not board until 10-15 minutes before the train leaves. 

Talked it over with my Wife this morning while we  out for breakfast. She seemed pretty excited about taking the train. So I believe that is what we are going to do. Thank you all for all your help.

When going to the Cafe Car must you consume all drinks and food in that car or may you bring them back to the car where your seats are at?

I think booking this far ahead so we may have a good chance of getting just about any seat in the Business Cars  we want, are any seat locations better then others in those kinds of car?

Storing our luggage on the train now doesn't seem to be a problem either since this is where the train is  originating that morning from (Roanoke).

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Talked it over with my Wife this morning while we  out for breakfast. She seemed pretty excited about taking the train. So I believe that is what we are going to do. Thank you all for all your help.

When going to the Cafe Car must you consume all drinks and food in that car or may you bring them back to the car where your seats are at?

I think booking this far ahead so we may have a good chance of getting just about any seat in the Business Cars  we want, are any seat locations better then others in those kinds of car?

Storing our luggage on the train now doesn't seem to be a problem either since this is where the train is  originating that morning from (Roanoke).

Most people bring their food/drinks back to their seats.   I prefer sitting near the middle of the car- I think it gives a smoother ride than being over the wheels.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

No. It's really a walk up window or counter arrangement on most trains. There's a limited menu of premade hot and cold food. You won't go hungry, but it's not a 3 star restaurant. For whatever reason Amtrak has a contract with Dogfish Head and usually have their 90 Minute IPA at a "reasonable" price (maybe not at 6:20 am...).  You can bring food and drinks, including alcohol, onboard. It just sounds like you're going to have a decent amount of stuff to handle, so you may not want to add to that. And if you do pay for business, you get free coffee by showing your ticket when you go to the cafe car.

Most Amtrak trains are configured at around 6 (maybe 7?) cars. Depending on how its configured for direction of travel, the first (or last) car will be business for a NE Regional, the next car will be the quiet car, then a standard car, and then the Cafe Car.  So from business it would be the third car back or forward. Just remember the train moves pretty fast, and in the US the tracks are shared with freight rail, so there's usually a fair amount of lateral motion as you're walking!

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, markeb said:

It looks like all non-Acela business class is refundable, but check the fare rules!

https://www.amtrak.com/planning-booking/changes-refunds/refund-and-cancellation-policy.html

I was going by this:

Business Fares

Classes of Service: Non-Acela Business Class

• Refunds: Full refund to original form of payment with no fees if canceled before departure.
  • No change fee
  • Like 1

Bought the tickets for $90 each Business class, they assigned us seats 1A, 1C by the bathrooms but I switched it to seats 8A and 8C.  Maybe I'm missing it but how do you tell if you are in the 1st car by the engine or the last business class car of the train? Is there a way of telling before getting to the train station? Is it on the ticket somewhere?

4 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Bought the tickets for $90 each Business class, they assigned us seats 1A, 1C by the bathrooms but I switched it to seats 8A and 8C.  Maybe I'm missing it but how do you tell if you are in the 1st car by the engine or the last business class car of the train? Is there a way of telling before getting to the train station? Is it on the ticket somewhere?

They make announcements on the platform, and the cars are generally labeled. The conductors will help you get to the right place. 

You might want a throw blanket (particularly if you or your wife are the sort that gets cold). The lady sitting next to me on my last train ride had one of those $10 fleece ones, which seemed like a great idea, particularly as she was going from Baltimore to South Carolina as a result of the Southwest meltdown over the holidays.

Another question, Right now we  have seats in the middle of the train, worried about our (larger) luggage, might we be better at the front of the business class train so we can keep an eye on our luggage rather then the middle of the train?

Looks like the bathrooms are kind of in between trains(front of the cars, is that correct? Just where is the storage for luggage besides over heads? The doors to get out of the train, do we have to walk by the bathrooms to get out of the cars?

When getting off the train at Newark Penn Station, we have to be ready with our luggage at the doors right? not at our seats because the train only stops for a minute or 2 right? The stop before our stop looks to be the Metro Park or EWR or is that the same stop, little confused as I don't see any stops called EWR Airport?

We have only ever ridden  the trains, from the Riverline in Burlington, NJ to Trenton, NJ and then to Penn Station to NYC for the day on the Northeast Regional.

So I have a lot of questions, sorry.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/2/2023 at 11:10 PM, Jimbo said:

The stop before our stop looks to be the Metro Park or EWR or is that the same stop, little confused as I don't see any stops called EWR Airport?

Only a few of Amtrak's trains stop at the EWR station, which is why you are not seeing it listed as a stop. Yes, your exit is Penn Station in Newark not NYC.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Can anyone confirm what luggage we are allowed to bring on the train for 2 people in business class on Northeast Corridor(Regional) Train originating in Roanoke, Va. to Newark Penn Station ?

Are 3 personal items, 2 carry-ons,  2 Large Suit cases and 1 Medium size  suit case allowed for 2 people.

What they have listed on Amtrak web site is kind of hard to understand?

As I understand there is no checked luggage there, the 2 of us would carry everything ourselves onboard the train at  Roanoke, Va. All they have there is a platform. No employees I'm aware of.

Edited by Jimbo

I've never heard of anyone having luggage rejected on Amtrak.  No checked luggage just means it all has to go with you, as I think you know.  There is room for storage of larger items at the end of each train car, and smaller items can go over your head

As long as you can manage it all . . . 

You might want to use the services of a Red Cap if you are boarding and/or detraining at a major station (Boston/NYC/DC).  Tip them $5/bag or so and you will get early boarding and not have to worry about wrangling all those bags

• Like 1

Glad you made a decision.

Quick story, In May 2022 AA cancelled my flight during the middle of the night. They changed my DFW to EWR to a DFW to LGA. It cost me $143.78 in a Lyft to get to my hotel at EWR. 

Edited by cynt

• 2 months later...

Had a chance yesterday after dropping my Sister off at Roanoke Airport to go visit the train station (platform, really no real station there) in Roanoke. We were there when the 4:30pm Amtrak train was at the platform.

Got a chance to ask some questions to the Amtrak workers in the cars. First questions I asked was about luggage sizes. He first said : this is NOT an airplane, you can bring anything you can carry on to the train yourself, no problem. 

Then I proceeded to go inside the trains to look around. I asked which car was the business car and he said the last car. It was weird though I entered through the Cafe Car and then went back into the business class................this car didn't have as many rows of seats as the seating chart for our mid week(Wednesday reservation we have, our seating chart has like 16 rows.) We are suppose to have row 8 in the train we have booked.(middle of train)

So I'm assuming the weekend car is different then the weekly trains, Is that correct?

Over head storage I saw in the car I looked at yesterday though was very roomy, I'm pretty sure if I lift my large bags up into there they could fit( Bag is about 31" x 14" x 19")

Would the over head storage room be about the same size on the larger business class car we are on? If that is the case we could put all our bags over our seats because the train originates in Roanoke where we will be getting on, so we will have the whole car to ourselves in the beginning of the trip.

Like other have said it was pretty cool in the train, the Air Conditioning was cranking, quite a surprise. 🙂

5 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Got a chance to ask some questions to the Amtrak workers in the cars. First questions I asked was about luggage sizes. He first said : this is NOT an airplane, you can bring anything you can carry on to the train yourself, no problem.

Generally, that's correct. There are two broad categories of Amtrak employees: operating personnel on board the trains, and non-operating personnel (e.g., telephone call representatives and administrators). Personnel at the station can fit into either category. The operating personnel actually handle the trains, know what's going on, and are very good in accommodating passengers, many times seeking to avoid what is perceived as unnecessary or meaningless nuisances. They're not going to weigh or measure baggage, and only look at the reasonableness of the circumstances. Unless the train is (or will be) crowded there will be scant concern with the amount of baggage carried. And even if heavy the operating personnel will likely give a hand in bringing the baggage into the car if requested. It is the non-operating personnel who have the hang-ups with the baggage rules. Sometimes the station personnel will try to insert themselves to problems. For example, at New York Amtrak station personnel will monitor the main escalators leading to the platform, lining up passengers, inspecting tickets, and possibly raising baggage concerns. The best way to deal with this is to simply avoid dealing those station personnel (e.g., use another path the platform, utilize a red cap with tip in advance). It is not an airport, and you're not on an airplane.

5 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Then I proceeded to go inside the trains to look around. I asked which car was the business car and he said the last car. It was weird though I entered through the Cafe Car and then went back into the business class................this car didn't have as many rows of seats as the seating chart for our mid week(Wednesday reservation we have, our seating chart has like 16 rows.) We are suppose to have row 8 in the train we have booked.(middle of train) So I'm assuming the weekend car is different then the weekly trains, Is that correct?

There are several types of cars with business class. The two types of greatest importance are the half-car business class that you observed and the full-car business class. The former type is better. It is café car, with food and beverage service in the middle, tables on one end that may be used by any passenger, and business class seating on the other end, separated with a drawn curtain. The seating is 2 + 1, well-upholstered, comfortable, and with leg rests. These were formerly club (parlor) cars now repurposed as business class. The latter type is little different from ordinary coach. Possibly a long-distance leg-rest coach will be used, but probably not. Maybe some extra legroom. Its primary benefit had been guaranteed seating, but with Amtrak having gone all-reserved on nearly all trains this is less of a concern today (though sometimes the issue still arises, and business class will mean having a seat in that case). Its benefit today is being a less crowded car, fewer families and screaming babies, and the absence of the backpack crowd.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, GTJ said:

Generally, that's correct. There are two broad categories of Amtrak employees: operating personnel on board the trains, and non-operating personnel (e.g., telephone call representatives and administrators). Personnel at the station can fit into either category. The operating personnel actually handle the trains, know what's going on, and are very good in accommodating passengers, many times seeking to avoid what is perceived as unnecessary or meaningless nuisances. They're not going to weigh or measure baggage, and only look at the reasonableness of the circumstances. Unless the train is (or will be) crowded there will be scant concern with the amount of baggage carried. And even if heavy the operating personnel will likely give a hand in bringing the baggage into the car if requested. It is the non-operating personnel who have the hang-ups with the baggage rules. Sometimes the station personnel will try to insert themselves to problems. For example, at New York Amtrak station personnel will monitor the main escalators leading to the platform, lining up passengers, inspecting tickets, and possibly raising baggage concerns. The best way to deal with this is to simply avoid dealing those station personnel (e.g., use another path the platform, utilize a red cap with tip in advance). It is not an airport, and you're not on an airplane.

There are several types of cars with business class. The two types of greatest importance are the half-car business class that you observed and the full-car business class. The former type is better. It is café car, with food and beverage service in the middle, tables on one end that may be used by any passenger, and business class seating on the other end, separated with a drawn curtain. The seating is 2 + 1, well-upholstered, comfortable, and with leg rests. These were formerly club (parlor) cars now repurposed as business class. The latter type is little different from ordinary coach. Possibly a long-distance leg-rest coach will be used, but probably not. Maybe some extra legroom. Its primary benefit had been guaranteed seating, but with Amtrak having gone all-reserved on nearly all trains this is less of a concern today (though sometimes the issue still arises, and business class will mean having a seat in that case). Its benefit today is being a less crowded car, fewer families and screaming babies, and the absence of the backpack crowd.

Just double checked our Business car seating chart...........there is 16 rows, which includes the last 2 rows of the train which has  tables.

Yesterday though that train was weird, entered through the Cafe section of that last car and then to the 5  or 6 rows of business class seats.

We are coming from where the train originates, so don't really see where there would be an issue with our luggage. We can tie the bags together (two that will be 2 together each for total of 4 bags.)

Then 1 back pack carry on(straped on my back), and 2 personal items(c-pack and my Wife's over the shoulder bag)

For a grand total of  6 items.

Don't see a problem getting on the train with out bags since train will be at the platform for almost 20  minutes.

My concern though getting off the train in Newark(Penn Station) where I believe the train only stops there for a minute or 2.  Is that correct? How do I know how long the train will stop at that station?

I am hoping since that is one of the larger stations the stop will be longer then that.

I know though after the Newark Airport Stop if it stop there we should be on the ready by the door with our bags to get off. I think our stop after that would be for us.

24 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Yesterday though that train was weird, entered through the Cafe section of that last car and then to the 5  or 6 rows of business class seats.

We are coming from where the train originates, so don't really see where there would be an issue with our luggage.

My concern though getting off the train in Newark(Penn Station) where I believe the train only stops there for a minute or 2. Is that correct? How do I know how long the train will stop at that station? I am hoping since that is one of the larger stations the stop will be longer then that. I know though after the Newark Airport Stop if it stop there we should be on the ready by the door with our bags to get off. I think our stop after that would be for us.

Yesterday you were on the better type of business class service cars. My preference, at least.

Official policy is that each passenger may carry on board two large bags and two personal items each, and medical devices (e.g., CPAP) do not even count towards that official limit. Looks like you're well under the official free baggage allowance.

Train 176, weekdays, is scheduled to be at Newark for one minute, while train 156, weekends, is scheduled to be at Newark for zero minutes. You know that by looking at the train timetable. (Amtrak eliminated their PDF timetables a while ago, and their website is a bit clumsy, but it can be found online by selecting an individual train. The prior stop for train 176, weekdays, is Metropark, and for train 156, weekends, is Newark Liberty International Airport. Even though train 176 does not stop at the airport, it will be obvious when passing through the station. The train will stay in Newark long enough for everyone to alight. You will want to gather up your baggage, and if several pieces you might bring the larger pieces to the vestibule. Approaching the station the conductor will come through the car to collect seat checks, so if you need guidance just ask him or her. Newark has a high level platform, it will be easy taking your baggage off the train (easier than the boarding in Roanoke). Don't be in the washroom when approaching the station, and don't dawdle, but otherwise this should not be a concern.

10 minutes ago, GTJ said:

Yesterday you were on the better type of business class service cars. My preference, at least.

Official policy is that each passenger may carry on board two large bags and two personal items each, and medical devices (e.g., CPAP) do not even count towards that official limit. Looks like you're well under the official free baggage allowance.

Train 176, weekdays, is scheduled to be at Newark for one minute, while train 156, weekends, is scheduled to be at Newark for zero minutes. You know that by looking at the train timetable. (Amtrak eliminated their PDF timetables a while ago, and their website is a bit clumsy, but it can be found online by selecting an individual train. The prior stop for train 176, weekdays, is Metropark, and for train 156, weekends, is Newark Liberty International Airport. Even though train 176 does not stop at the airport, it will be obvious when passing through the station. The train will stay in Newark long enough for everyone to alight. You will want to gather up your baggage, and if several pieces you might bring the larger pieces to the vestibule. Approaching the station the conductor will come through the car to collect seat checks, so if you need guidance just ask him or her. Newark has a high level platform, it will be easy taking your baggage off the train (easier than the boarding in Roanoke). Don't be in the washroom when approaching the station, and don't dawdle, but otherwise this should not be a concern.

Cool, sounds very doable then. 

Good to know we get off at ground level at Newark Penn Station. 🙂

I have no concerns on making the 6:20am train in Roanoke. We are staying the night before at Liberty Trust ( A hotel less then a block from the train platform, it has a handi-cap type ramp entrance to the platform. So no worries there pulling our bags up the ramp.

The ramps there reminds us of Disney Transportation Center ramps.

So it's good to know no stop at Newark Airport for our weekday trip, just know now to start gathering our bags and head for the exit door once see the airport.

What is your estimate of how many minutes between the Newark Airport and our stop at Newark Penn Station?

Edited by Jimbo

4 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Good to know we get off at ground level at Newark Penn Station. * * *

What is your estimate of how many minutes between the Newark Airport and our stop at Newark Penn Station?

The tracks and platforms at Newark are elevated, so once you've alighted from the train and are on the platform you will need to take the elevator or escalator down to street level.

From the airport to Newark Pennsylvania Station is six minutes.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, GTJ said:

The tracks and platforms at Newark are elevated, so once you've alighted from the train and are on the platform you will need to take the elevator or escalator down to street level.

From the airport to Newark Pennsylvania Station is six minutes.

At our final stop at Newark(Penn Station) when we are getting off our business car we  don't have to go through the car infront of us to get off the train do we. Our car will have doors at both ends of our car right? We can get off at either end ? Is that correct?

In the business car I was in the other day on the weekend, it seemed like I had to lift up a red bar to get in the car, then I passed through the Cafe area to get to the business class 5 or 6  rows of seats.

This was the half car business car though, hopefully our full length business car will be easier getting in and out of.

5 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Our car will have doors at both ends of our car right? We can get off at either end ? Is that correct?

Hopefully I will not be too technical here!

The full length business class cars generally used in the northeast have 62 seats, arranged 2+2 in 16 rows, with one row having two adjacent seats on only one side of the center aisle (the other side of the aisle does not seats so as to allow for additional space in the following row for passengers with disabilities). These business class cars are numbered in the 81000-series, and are configured from the railroad’s “Amfleet-I” cars, built in the years 1975 through 1977. These cars are distinguished from the Amfleet-I club-dinette cars numbered in the 48000-series—these are the half-business class cars—with 18 seats, arranged 2+1 in 6 rows; from the Amfleet-I coach cars numbered in the 82000-series with 72 seats, arranged 2+2 in 18 rows; and Amfleet-II coach cars (built 1980 through 1983) numbered in the 25000-series with 59 leg-rest seats, arranged 2+2 in 15 rows, and intended for long-distance (meaning, overnight) service. Amfleet-I cars have two vestibules, one on each end of the car. Amfleet-II cars have a single vestibule at only one end of the car.

Ordinarily in the northeast corridor, between Boston and New York, all doors usually open because stations generally have high-level platforms. At stations with low level platforms only some doors may open because of the need for the operating crew to manually open the traps to expose the car’s stairs—the train crew does announce which doors will open. At Pennsylvania Station in Newark, New Jersey, you should expect to have all doors opened.

I am not familiar with the “red bar” you mentioned. Ordinarily one passes from car to car through doors opened pneumatically using handplates or footplates, but I don’t think that’s what you mean. There is a narrow bar between cars that the train crew might optionally lower as a deterrent to people from entering a car that is not in service, or sometimes to discourage coach passengers from wandering into business or first class accommodations; I am thinking that is what you might be referring to as a “red bar.” If so, then you should not be discouraged because it could not be used, or interfere, with use of an in-service business car. All in-service business class (and for that matter, coach cars, too) are intended to have easy and convenience access and egress.

• Like 1