Boiling water in stateroom

Blueside

Hello, I'm going on the Getaway soon, and we're sailing out of NY. We're used to drinking hot water rather than water straight out of the tap, so I phoned NCL and they said that they can't provide us with a water kettle, but that there would be a coffee maker in the room. My question is, is that coffee maker able to just boil a lot of water? My only other option is hot water from the buffet, but it's all the way at the other end of the ship from my cabin, so a little inconvenient when I just need a drink of water at night or something.

Thank you!

1 minute ago, Blueside said:

Hello, I'm going on the Getaway soon, and we're sailing out of NY. We're used to drinking hot water rather than water straight out of the tap, so I phoned NCL and they said that they can't provide us with a water kettle, but that there would be a coffee maker in the room. My question is, is that coffee maker able to just boil a lot of water? My only other option is hot water from the buffet, but it's all the way at the other end of the ship from my cabin, so a little inconvenient when I just need a drink of water at night or something.

Thank you!

My wife is an avid tea drinker and brings her own tea bags.  No problem making hot water with the coffee maker.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blueside said:

Thank you!

FWIW - I think you can only make about one cup at a time with the coffeemaker.

• Like 2

You could take a thermos and fill it each day at the buffet with the hot water they provide for tea. Our stainless thermal drink holder keeps hot beverages hot for 24 hrs.

The problem with using the coffee pot provided in the room for just hot water is the water tends to taste like coffee. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, styles27 said:

You could take a thermos and fill it each day at the buffet with the hot water they provide for tea. Our stainless thermal drink holder keeps hot beverages hot for 24 hrs.

The problem with using the coffee pot provided in the room for just hot water is the water tends to taste like coffee. 

Depending upon the type of "coffee maker", the coffee taste of any water that goes through it could be very noticeable.  That would also depend upon whether one is drinking that hot water with something delicate like tea (or only the water, of course!).

It might be less of a problem for something heavy such as somewhat concentrated hot chocolate (uh, for fellow chocoholics, no need to add the full amount of water, right? 🙂 )

GC

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Blueside said:

Thank you!

Single cup Hamilton Beach coffee makers may be available on request. Due to COVID, they are not put out in every cabin. 

C6100F84-53DE-476A-80C2-9311D9F153C0.png.3c5123023e3bdc5463ac9a36cf3bfcb7.png

40FF96DC-E4DE-45A9-8798-B7E52D53468E.png.6b7fd8c97fffb0d27af9d78ad2c76e66.png

• Like 3

This was a good reminder.  The directions for tea say "boiling water" - the little coffee makers, that have been used for coffee, are indeed better than nothing.   The call room service idea- maybe- but if the water arrives luke warm, and in a pot that had coffee in it- yuk.  The hot water at the buffet is often not super hot to avoid lawsuits.  And the difficulty in correctly filling a larger vessel  without dipping the spout in your container.   Remind me- what is the relationship between health and safety and coffee makers?  I suppose kids could play with it unattended?  P.S. Cunard has a tea kettle in every room.  Having a few on every ship would seem easy.   

4 hours ago, IslandHppy said:

Remind me- what is the relationship between health and safety and coffee makers? 

It is COVID related. They don't have a good way of sanitizing coffee makers (never have, never will). And not having to try and clean them in 2000+ staterooms during turnaround saves time . 

Since "COVID is over" (according to the US President who is cancelling the emergency order - which will affect insurance and cruise line contracts), the rules may lighted up even more. 

Although it’s against the rules, I know someone who has brought her own electric tea kettle on every NCL cruise she’s been on, and that’s a lot. Neve hid it from the room steward/butler either.  

Not endorsing, just reporting.  It’s against the rules because of fire hazard.  

2 hours ago, Epic_Bear said:

https://www.ncl.com/prohibited-items

• 21. Items brought on board the vessel and not supplied by the Company containing any kind of heating element, such as but not limited to: immersion heaters, heating blankets, clothing irons, water heaters, coffee machines with heating/hot plates, etc.

I vote for thermos-type vessel filled by water glass at the buffet. If you ever worked in the hotel industry you would NEVER EVER use a coffeemaker that was in your cabin or hotel room.  Just saying.  It’s right up there with the TV remote.  We sanitize our TV remote before using, and rewash any glassware in the cabin before using.  I’m sure others will disagree…and that’s ok with me.

Edited by laudergayle

On 2/24/2023 at 3:57 PM, styles27 said:

You have to take out the little plastic disc thing that holds the coffee filter. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, laudergayle said:

I vote for thermos-type vessel filled by water glass at the buffet. If you ever worked in the hotel industry you would NEVER EVER use a coffeemaker that was in your cabin or hotel room.  Just saying.  It’s right up there with the TV remote.  We sanitize our TV remote before using, and rewash any glassware in the cabin before using.  I’m sure others will disagree…and that’s ok with me.

I wash the coffee pot and run water through a couple of times. It is clean enough that way. Thanks for reminding me to pack a small container of dish washing liquid. Otherwise, I just use the liquid hand soap that is in the cabin bathroom. 

• Like 1

I just sailed on the Norwegian Joy and neither tea kettle nor coffee maker was in the stateroom.  My travel partner had packed an electric tea kettle which was confiscated during boarding and held for him until the end of the flight,referred to as a prohibited item.  Everything about the cruise was perfect so this was disappointing. 

19 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

I just sailed on the Norwegian Joy and neither tea kettle nor coffee maker was in the stateroom.  My travel partner had packed an electric tea kettle which was confiscated during boarding and held for him until the end of the flight,referred to as a prohibited item.  Everything about the cruise was perfect so this was disappointing. 

Did you ask for one?

1 minute ago, LoungerOnBalcony55 said:

Did you ask for one?

No, I assumed since his was taken that meant no electrical appliances in staterooms.  Dont you think they would have offered one since it was obvious we wanted one? as in something like "we are unable to allow electrical appliances to be brought on board but we can supply one if you would like"  

5 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

No, I assumed since his was taken that meant no electrical appliances in staterooms.  Dont you think they would have offered one since it was obvious we wanted one? as in something like "we are unable to allow electrical appliances to be brought on board but we can supply one if you would like"  

You just can't bring your own. NCL provides approved coffee-makers that meet their safety standards. 

Just now, LoungerOnBalcony55 said:

You just can't bring your own. NCL provides approved coffee-makers that meet their safety standards. 

ok. I will remember that for next time. However, since it was obvious we must have wanted one I dont see why they wouldnt have offered us one. But they didnt and we survived. Next time I will know

15 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

ok. I will remember that for next time. However, since it was obvious we must have wanted one I dont see why they wouldnt have offered us one. But they didnt and we survived. Next time I will know

Some things that used to be in staterooms are now only available upon request. Two out of four cruises last year, the tray with the coffee set up was in the closet. I took it down and left a note for the steward requesting the coffee amenities. The other two trips I had to ask for the coffee set up. The other item we requested was ice. The ice bucket and coffee supplies were restocked daily by our room steward. I miss the occasional towel animal, but feel funny requesting those. 

• Like 1