How does a non refundable deposit work when you are paying for another party?

mauimary

Just curious how this works if the parents are booking for their adult kids.  Do the parents who paid for it get the future cruise credit or do your adult kids get to keep it to use in the future?  

We have no experience with this and are just wondering before we do anything. 

14 hours ago, mauimary said:

Just curious how this works if the parents are booking for their adult kids.  Do the parents who paid for it get the future cruise credit or do your adult kids get to keep it to use in the future?  

We have no experience with this and are just wondering before we do anything. 

FCC is issued in each individual travelers name, even if they are a minor.

Just now, cruisingxpert said:

When they say the deposit is non refundable, do they really mean just the deposit?  I was looking at a cruise where the deposit is $250 pp but to have a refundable deposit, I would have to add $832 to the total cost of trip.  Something doesn't sound right.  

I know it does not sound right but the claim is that you get a lower price for the cruise.   The non refundable part is $100 per person and the other $150 comes back in a future cruise credit so all is not lost.  We just went through all of this with family this am.  

1 minute ago, mauimary said:

I know it does not sound right but the claim is that you get a lower price for the cruise.   The non refundable part is $100 per person and the other $150 comes back in a future cruise credit so all is not lost.  We just went through all of this with family this am.  

Thank you for your answer.  It seems that whoever is making the claim about the getting a lower price for the cruise failed their Math at school.

25 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

When they say the deposit is non refundable, do they really mean just the deposit?  I was looking at a cruise where the deposit is $250 pp but to have a refundable deposit, I would have to add $832 to the total cost of trip.  Something doesn't sound right.  

19 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

Thank you for your answer.  It seems that whoever is making the claim about the getting a lower price for the cruise failed their Math at school.

I am not sure what is confusing you.  In order for a deposit to be fully refundable in cash, one typically has to pay a higher price for the cruise. Based on what you stated, the extra cost is $832?

if you stay with the nonrefundable deposit the fare is $832 less.  Celebrity’s definition of non refundable is $100 charge per person and the rest in a FCC.

39 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

Yes.    The deposit is the only item in a NR.    If you cancel or change your reservation you are charged a $100 pp fee.    If cancel after the $100 pp the remainder is sent as a FCC that must be used within one year. 

Many people pay the extra fee for a refundable deposit so they can change or cancel and get everything back.  I recently paid for a Refundable deposit for a cruise in 2024 -  Main reason was it is only a place holder to block the cabin and the room type and when I'm on my next cruise I plan on booking in onboard as a NR and then cancel my original refundable booking.

8 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Yes.    The deposit is the only item in a NR.    If you cancel or change your reservation you are charged a $100 pp fee.    If cancel after the $100 pp the remainder is sent as a FCC that must be used within one year. 

Many people pay the extra fee for a refundable deposit so they can change or cancel and get everything back.  I recently paid for a Refundable deposit for a cruise in 2024 -  Main reason was it is only a place holder to block the cabin and the room type and when I'm on my next cruise I plan on booking in onboard as a NR and then cancel my original refundable booking.

Thank you, Jim, for your kind response.  What you said makes sense.  I wasn't aware of the $100pp fee to change as well as cancel. 

What confused me was why would someone pay an extra $832 to save $200 cash. 

P.S. I love your Live From reports

Edited by cruisingxpert

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

The one caveat we have found is that if you originally book with the refundable deposit then try to cancel it and change it to a non refundable Celebrity will not do it unless there is another stateroom available in that same category.  We had this happen on a sunset balcony as they are hot in demand and down the line there was not another available.   Maybe it’s doing it onboard that makes the difference!

16 hours ago, cruisingxpert said:

Thank you, Jim, for your kind response.  What you said makes sense.  I wasn't aware of the $100pp fee to change as well as cancel. 

What confused me was why would someone pay an extra $832 to save $200 cash. 

P.S. I love your Live From reports

What is even crazier is that the extra amount is based on the cabin cost.   This one below is for a Royal Suite.   I've found that is is cheaper to get CruiseCare insurance both run at 8-9%

Like you.   I question why anyone would pay that much.    I do recognize that I'm a frequent cruiser and could easily use a FCC where others that may be doing their first cruise or not planning another Celebrity may consider the option.

image.thumb.png.41dc00fd7dde686362dee18aa84d9757.png

• Like 1