Cheap prices on Aurora!

jeanlyon

When you talk about cheap prices

2 weeks before the current Arvia Caribbean 14 night cruise they were offering inside cabins for  999 per person including flights to Barbados

Was talking to a travel agent on board plus a couple who took advantage

Hence our cruise is pretty full!!

I challenge anybody to get return flights to Barbados for less than 800 ish per person this time of year. And don't  forget if you travel to stay in a hotel over here you would have airport transfer costs to cover as well!!  

Which are included on the cruise - maybe price them up at 50 per person return

It's effectively 149 per person for 14 nights full board once you deduct flight costs to Barbados

just over 10 pounds per person per night for the cruise!

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Fionboard said:

Wish I liked the big new ships as it would save me a lot of money. However, I don't like them so  have to pay the price of the small (preferably adults only)  ones. Just glad thry are still here. But for how long?! 

Once Aurora goes, we will use Fred.  I tried Azura many years ago and hated it, and that's not even big now!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Once Aurora goes, we will use Fred.  I tried Azura many years ago and hated it, and that's not even big now!

I understand that

I think big  ships are brilliant for families and the younger cruisers by and large

Because they offer so many things to do and different places to eat. Incredible range of entertainment as well

I do think more experienced cruisers can enjoy them as well. If they choose the places on the ship they prefer. 

But  I totally get why some people prefer smaller and more intimate ships

We are on as a couple so just dine together each night. So we pick and choose when we want to be somewhere quiet and refined or when we want to be somewhere busy and lively. 

Really suits us having so many choices

And we like the size of the ship for getting our steps in! Lol

I'm averaging 11,000 steps a day

My wife far  more as she goes jogging every day as well!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

I like to feel I am on a ship not a huge shopping mall.  Horses for courses.  I love sitting on the Prom Deck in the late afternoon, reading or simply watching the water.  I found Azura very crowded and noisy.

Yes that makes total sense

I do feel that on Arvia there are spaces where you can find the peace and quiet when you need it. Not counting your own balcony of course.  At which stage maybe you can imagine the ship isn't the size it is.

There's multiple prom decks on Arvia. Each one probably no busier than the prom deck you enjoy. Multiple pool areas. 18 whirlpools!

Again each one probably no busier than on smaller ships

I only fully realise the size of this ship when I'm off the ship looking at it from the outside in

When I'm on it. I can only ever be in one part of it at a time so to speak

What we cant ever do on here is get to know and recognise all the passengers of course

However we have made friends with a few on the ship as well and it's amazing how often we bump into them despite the size of the ship

Pros and cons of big and small ships

The biggest pros of the big ships for me are the value for money and the huge choices of things to do and enjoy on board

• Like 5

13 hours ago, wowzz said:

Would you risk booking on Aurora for 2025? 

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will hold on to her until then to celebrate her 25th anniversary. She's also the last of the old breed with P&O...

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Do you not like Arcadia Jean?

Not as much, but yes I would look at her.  Have just been through both of their cruises through to 2024 and I'm afraid they are all the same as we have done before, so will try one with Fred again.  He is doing an Azores plus Brest and St Malo.  Also, slightly shorter than these 19 nighters.

• Like 1

Whilst Arcadia and Aurora are my favourites, I also like Ventura (24 times) and Britannia (8 times) except in school holidays!. However, I believe that families will be going more on Iona and Arvia now so the age demographic on these will probably change a bit. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fionboard said:

Whilst Arcadia and Aurora are my favourites, I also like Ventura (24 times) and Britannia (8 times) except in school holidays!. However, I believe that families will be going more on Iona and Arvia now so the age demographic on these will probably change a bit. 

As I didn't like Azura, no point trying Ventura. I would like to try Britannia but only for a maximum of a week and there are very few of those in the current calendar...

16 hours ago, Fionboard said:

That's an idea - maybe make Britannia adult only if we lose Aurora or Arcadia

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Britboys said:

As I didn't like Azura, no point trying Ventura. I would like to try Britannia but only for a maximum of a week and there are very few of those in the current calendar...

Like many others, we like the smaller ships. We have been quite a few times on Azura but until fairly recently had avoided Ventura. I must admit we now would probably choose Ventura over Azura. I think it’s probably down to lack of a sea screen on Azura which I found annoying as it blasted out films an adverts throughout the day. There isn’t a lot of difference otherwise, although Azura probably has a more traditional decor. We found the ships’ company very positive on Ventura and there was a very pleasant atmosphere on board. 
We tried Britannia once (as we had to be in the south of England on a certain date & the cruise fitted in with our arrangements…& was much reduced in price!) I was pleasantly surprised with the ship. I liked how the dining room was sectioned off so you didn’t feel you were eating in a massive hall. Also the upper deck was sectioned off and there was a quiet pool area. I did miss the traditional prom deck. Britannia also has quite a good dance floor -sadly missing on both Azura and Ventura. 

Edited by Ranchi
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I like to feel I am on a ship not a huge shopping mall.  Horses for courses.  I love sitting on the Prom Deck in the late afternoon, reading or simply watching the water.  I found Azura very crowded and noisy.

Iona and Arvia have huge prom decks, but they can be busy.

1 hour ago, Ranchi said:

Like many others, we like the smaller ships. We have been quite a few times on Azura but until fairly recently had avoided Ventura. I must admit we now would probably choose Ventura over Azura. I think it’s probably down to lack of a sea screen on Azura which I found annoying as it blasted out films an adverts throughout the day. There isn’t a lot of difference otherwise, although Azura probably has a more traditional decor. We found the ships’ company very positive on Ventura and there was a very pleasant atmosphere on board. 
We tried Britannia once (as we had to be in the south of England on a certain date & the cruise fitted in with our arrangements…& was much reduced in price!) I was pleasantly surprised with the ship. I liked how the dining room was sectioned off so you didn’t feel you were eating in a massive hall. Also the upper deck was sectioned off and there was a quiet pool area. I did miss the traditional prom deck. Britannia also has quite a good dance floor -sadly missing on both Azura and Ventura. 

I just found Azura horribly overcrowded on both cruises and Ventura is unlikely to be any different. I'm sure there is lots I would like on Britannia but the lack of a Promenade is a big issue for me. That's why I would do no more than 7 nights as there would only be a couple of sea days.

20 hours ago, Britboys said:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will hold on to her until then to celebrate her 25th anniversary. She's also the last of the old breed with P&O...

I’m largely reconciled to the thought that P&O isn’t a good fit for me anymore, and that I’d rather remember how things were prior to 2020.

However, a silver anniversary celebration cruise could tempt me back for one last hurrah on Aurora 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I’m largely reconciled to the thought that P&O isn’t a good fit for me anymore, and that I’d rather remember how things were prior to 2020.

However, a silver anniversary celebration cruise could tempt me back for one last hurrah on Aurora 

In general, I was pleasantly surprised on my Aurora cruise last Summer. Just hope the menus have improved when I sail on her this year... 🤞🏻

• Like 1

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Iona and Arvia have huge prom decks, but they can be busy.

There appear to be numerous prom decks on Arvia? At least we've been walking round numerous decks as though it's a prom deck. Alongside others.

Also at least one specific one where you can jog (but most still walk around the jogging one to be honest)

I assume the smaller ships have less options for this?  And so with less options can get equally busy on their prom decks and equally with people who want sun beds in the best areas etc?

I looked at Aurora (admittedly from a long distance away from above yesterday)

And it didnt appear to have made any real use of the front of the ship for nice seating areas or pools outside? I could be wrong though

Everything seemed to be at the top of the ship in terms of outdoor areas on Aurora

On Arvia there seem to be promenade options from the 8th floor upwards (at least) and literally everywhere around the ship front, sides and back outside space to enjoy?

2 hours ago, Britboys said:

I just found Azura horribly overcrowded on both cruises and Ventura is unlikely to be any different. I'm sure there is lots I would like on Britannia but the lack of a Promenade is a big issue for me. That's why I would do no more than 7 nights as there would only be a couple of sea days.

What is classed as an official promenade on a ship?

1 hour ago, Fionboard said:

The promenade decks on old ships tend to be wide and covered so can be used in all weathers. No sunbathers in the way! 

Ok will check out exactly what the options are on Arvia in that respect. Most decks we've  walked on have sunbeds as well but nowhere near where we've been walking. Not noticed if any are covered or not. In the weather we've got weve been using uncovered ones though on the upper decks

The one ive been using the most so far is high up and i do know is 7 laps to 1 mile and stops where the skydome starts so doesn't go round the whole ship

But there's definitely plenty more options we've not been using as much

Will try and understand what all the options are. There's a low down one that we went around late afternoon the other day and never saw a soul albeit people had probably gone in their cabins by then to start getting ready for dinner

3 hours ago, Ranchi said:

Oh God, that seascreen was horrendous.  Even if you sat at another pool you could still hear it.  I can't imagine why in this day and age, people can't be given headsets, so you don't have to listen if you don't want to.

There are sunbeds on the Prom Deck on Aurora, not that many, but they don't get in the way of people walking.

4 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Deck 8 prom deck is about 2.25 laps to the mile. not meant for jogging though. Iona and Arvia have open decks on 8,17,18 and 19. Beware the smoking areas on deck 18

I walked past it yesterday and it reminded me of the parties we used to have in the 70s, full ashtrays to empty the following day, with all the windows and doors open to get rid of the smell, and this was on an open deck with a stiff breeze blowing.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Oh God, that seascreen was horrendous.  Even if you sat at another pool you could still hear it.  I can't imagine why in this day and age, people can't be given headsets, so you don't have to listen if you don't want to.

There are sunbeds on the Prom Deck on Aurora, not that many, but they don't get in the way of people walking.

Because it is so wide. Agree about the big screens. Hate them and they are so loud they can be heard all over the ships. 

• Like 1