Can you take spirits on Queen Mary 2 and pay corkage to have them served to you throughout the trip?

D&N

Can you present a bottle of spirits to a lounge bar person at start of trip and pay corkage to have measures served each night?

Our biggest disappointment last time was that they had run out of Grand Marnier.

To be honest I would even donate the bottle(s) for our exclusive use and pay for the drinks (again!). We don't pay much for bottles here.

Has anyone experience of this?

• Haha 1

Further to @PORT ROYAL's comment on another thread it sounds unlikely they would.

By the time we next plan to sail hopefully the supply problems we encountered will have been resolved.

But just in case I'll probably stick one or two bottles in our luggage. If they don't have any I might try asking the waiter for two cognacs but just to serve empty glasses and I can have enough for us decanted to a small plastic bottle.

It's only for our final drink of the day, but we'd much prefer to drink it in the ambience of a lounge rather than in the cabin.

53 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

If you brought your own bottle(s) aboard, I don't suppose there's much stopping you pouring a small glass and taking it with you. Probably nobody would take any notice.

The logistics more or less dictate the need to pour in lounge. Our late night route will be deck 3 aft to midships then climb 10 decks to cabin. We don't use lifts unless my wife has put on the wrong earrings or finds dance heels are too high to heel turn in. Then it's my job to swap them as quickly as possible.

With a bit of luck their stores will be overflowing with Grand Marnier and the situation will never arise.

32 minutes ago, D&N said:

The logistics more or less dictate the need to pour in lounge. Our late night route will be deck 3 aft to midships then climb 10 decks to cabin. We don't use lifts unless my wife has put on the wrong earrings or finds dance heels are too high to heel turn in. Then it's my job to swap them as quickly as possible.

With a bit of luck their stores will be overflowing with Grand Marnier and the situation will never arise.

Hint to wife, a few of us ladies, have ditched the heels at the end of an evening and have walked the rest of the way, bare foot. Often the sign of a great evening. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Hint to wife, a few of us ladies, have ditched the heels at the end of an evening and have walked the rest of the way, bare foot. Often the sign of a great evening. 🙂

By 9 o'clock she'll be in dance heels and she's only barefoot in sandals so the problem doesn't arise.

Here's another matter, the odd time she wears heels in high summer they often come off at foot of apartment staircase. But she has Mephisto sandals for then.

3 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

If you brought your own bottle(s) aboard, I don't suppose there's much stopping you pouring a small glass and taking it with you. Probably nobody would take any notice.

What about making a drink in your cabin with your own alcohol, then bringing it to a show or dinner? Is that allowed?

15 minutes ago, skleeb said:

What about making a drink in your cabin with your own alcohol, then bringing it to a show or dinner? Is that allowed?

No.

There are various wordings depending on what set of T&Cs you look at but all state own alcohol can only be consumed in stateroom not public unless a corkage fee is being paid, which suggests they're only thinking of bottles of wine and champagne.

• Like 2

On 3/2/2023 at 7:42 AM, D&N said:

Can you present a bottle of spirits to a lounge bar person at start of trip and pay corkage to have measures served each night?

Our biggest disappointment last time was that they had run out of Grand Marnier.

To be honest I would even donate the bottle(s) for our exclusive use and pay for the drinks (again!). We don't pay much for bottles here.

Just to remind you that you are on Cunard, you are allowed to bring alcohol on board and drink it in your cabin especially spirits. Corkage on wine if you take it to the dining room, unfortunately there are people who bring wine on board and then carry a glass to the dining room to save corkage. these people stick out like dogs ears. I am sure Cunard would be happy to oblige your request if you contacted them with your cruise to  make sure your favorite brand was behind the bar.

On 3/2/2023 at 7:42 AM, D&N said:

Can you present a bottle of spirits to a lounge bar person at start of trip and pay corkage to         have measures served each night?

Our biggest disappointment last time was that they had run out of Grand Mariner.

16 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

As a Diamond member I cringe when I read posts like this, Cunard is fair with what you can bring on board, personally I am very discrete when bringing alcohol onto the ship and remember when in port you can bring alcohol back on board. Bringing glasses of spirits to an upmarket lounge is a a sure way for the company to crack down on how much alcohol we  can bring on board. Being discrete both in the dining room and lounges I feel is the way to go, after all it is not a ferry you are sailing on. 

• Like 2

Contrary to other cruiselines, Cunard treats passengers as reasonable and responsible adults when it comes to alcohol. Bring your wine or even your spirit and drink it in your cabin, pay corkage and drink wine at dinner- all fine with Cunard.  

All fine - as long as passengers behave as reasonable and responsible adults.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, D&N said:

No.

There are various wordings depending on what set of T&Cs you look at but all state own alcohol can only be consumed in stateroom not public unless a corkage fee is being paid, which suggests they're only thinking of bottles of wine and champagne.

I'm sure I read a comment some time ago about the shortage of GM in relation to Crepes Suzette so if it's a supply issue,  I guess the solution is to take a small [?] bottle of GM with you if it's that important a drink and if none available ship wide, resign yourself to a pre bedtime drink in the cabin.

1 hour ago, Down-Unders said:

As a Diamond member I cringe when I read posts like this, Cunard is fair with what you can bring on board, personally I am very discrete when bringing alcohol onto the ship and remember when in port you can bring alcohol back on board. Bringing glasses of spirits to an upmarket lounge is a a sure way for the company to crack down on how much alcohol we  can bring on board. Being discrete both in the dining room and lounges I feel is the way to go, after all it is not a ferry you are sailing on. 

I don't need a lecture thanks.

If a person on a limited budget wants a small glass of something that's not available, then it's no business of mine or yous for that matter. It's hardly going to bring the temple crashing down.

Incidentally, we're also Diamond with over 25 trips in QG.

2 hours ago, Down-Unders said:

Just to remind you that you are on Cunard, you are allowed to bring alcohol on board and drink it in your cabin especially spirits. Corkage on wine if you take it to the dining room, unfortunately there are people who bring wine on board and then carry a glass to the dining room to save corkage. these people stick out like dogs ears. I am sure Cunard would be happy to oblige your request if you contacted them with your cruise to  make sure your favorite brand was behind the bar.

Thank you, but I'm well aware of that.

We do not like drinking in our cabin. Our cabin is for sleeping in and preparing to go out and about on the ship.

We do like drinking a small glass of Grand Marnier in the Chart Room before we go up to bed in our cabin. If Cunard can't supply Grand Marnier, we are more than happy to gift it to Cunard so they can sell it back to us!

Unfortunately we don't have enough to supply the whole ship so it would need to be reserved for us.

Unless we feel assured the supply issues have been resolved, we'll take the stuff with us and come to an arrangement with the bar folk if required.  I'm sure it won't do their books any harm if they charge us for a couple of drinks but don't serve the measures.

2 hours ago, D&N said:

Thank you, but I'm well aware of that.

We do not like drinking in our cabin. Our cabin is for sleeping in and preparing to go out and about on the ship.

We do like drinking a small glass of Grand Marnier in the Chart Room before we go up to bed in our cabin. If Cunard can't supply Grand Marnier, we are more than happy to gift it to Cunard so they can sell it back to us!

Unfortunately we don't have enough to supply the whole ship so it would need to be reserved for us.

Unless we feel assured the supply issues have been resolved, we'll take the stuff with us and come to an arrangement with the bar folk if required.  I'm sure it won't do their books any harm if they charge us for a couple of drinks but don't serve the measures.

Tried this concept, only to be informed one was not on Carnival’s (Cunard) approved list of suppliers.  
However, after many years have passed, one feels this concept could now have legs.  Therefore, these suggestions could be now put to Carnival Executive Offices to be officially tested.   

Executive.Correspondence@carnivalukgroup.com

Please let CC know the outcome, as a Filbuste would look good on a bar shelf, and listening to bar staff declining to serve would be interesting.

Wishing luck…

2 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

If a person on a limited budget wants a small glass of something that's not available, then it's no business of mine or yous for that matter. It's hardly going to bring the temple crashing down.

If you’re requesting a pretty standard product such as Grand Marnier and Cunard are unable to provide if, then I don’t see any issue with going back to your cabin, pouring a glass and returning to the bar.  It’s not like you are trying to deliberately engineer a situation/excuse to get you out of paying.

In any case, they probably wouldn’t be able to tell - after dinner you do see people moving between bars and the nightclub with drinks they purchased already in one of the other bars.

You could always ask the bar staff if it’s ok - I would be surprised if they said no in this situation.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Tried this concept, only to be informed one was not on Carnival’s (Cunard) approved list of suppliers.  
However, after many years have passed, one feels this concept could now have legs.  Therefore, these suggestions could be now put to Carnival Executive Offices to be officially tested.   

Executive.Correspondence@carnivalukgroup.com

Please let CC know the outcome, as a Filbuste would look good on a bar shelf, and listening to bar staff declining to serve would be interesting.

Wishing luck…

I doubt they would allow personal

bottles to be stored on display for this reason!

There might be the possibility they would store it out of view, but I think the logistics may not allow for it.  Multiple staff work in the bar, you would need to ensure they were all aware etc.  if the idea became popular it would very quickly become unworkable.

I do think it’s a nice idea though.

@PORT ROYAL

No, I wouldn't approach this at that level.

It's not the Chief Exec who stands to get the extra tip before we leave.

It's easy enough for us to carry a small bottle, the 250ml plastic Coke bottles are good for that.  I've even used a 100ml yoghurt drink bottle if we're flying somewhere with only hand luggage.

We always carry a "dog bag" (Radley Tote Bag) in the evenings for dance shoes and camera gear. It won't add much to the weight. 🍸

10 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

All I am saying is the way the world is now

11 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

Good to talk with another Diamond member. I assume like myself you enjoy Cunard for the standard they set and try to maintain.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Down-Unders said:

All I am saying is the way the world is now

Good to talk with another Diamond member. I assume like myself you enjoy Cunard for the standard they set and try to maintain.

One’s personal opinion.

A person carrying a small glass of something directly from stateroom into a lounge or dining room to consume is just so wrong.  A glass of something carried by a member of the bar staff from a bar to dining room, or lounge, is perfectly acceptable.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, twoofus said:

Is it actually true that you can bring spirits onboard for your cabin? Seems to say only 2 bottles of wine or champagne. Please share your experience and knowledge. Thank you!

In practice, you can bring aboard whatever you want [soda, beer, wine, spirits] for consumption in your room. I tend to have a carry on filled with wine bottles and socks 😉

The bottle limit in the passage contract is rarely enforced [I have not noticed anecdotes of enforcement here or on faceplant] at least at the Brooklyn cruise terminal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TheOldBear said:

In practice, you can bring aboard whatever you want [soda, beer, wine, spirits] for consumption in your room. I tend to have a carry on filled with wine bottles and socks 😉

The bottle limit in the passage contract is rarely enforced [I have not noticed anecdotes of enforcement here or on faceplant] at least at the Brooklyn cruise terminal.

Nor Southampton.

• Like 2