Questions for solo cruisers

vswan

14 hours ago, vswan said:

My husband passed away last week after bypass surgery. He was home one week and gone. I had booked a cruise for 8 weeks after the surgery and was wise enough to by the cancel for any reason insurance. I know the kind hearted people on CC will offer sympathy and prayers, so thank you in advance.

We had traveled together on more than 30 cruises and this is my favorite type of vacation and know that I will want to continue. I have a number of questions for those who have needed to make the switch from sailing as a couple to sailing as a solo.

I understand that most of the time you will be charged for two people in the cabin, even if there is only one. There are occasionally sales which only charge solo, but sounds like those are far and few...

How long did you wait to take your first solo cruise. Did you go alone or take a family member or friend with you? Would you go sooner or wait longer?

If you want to purchase the HIA, do you pay once since there is only one passenger or do you pay double. Same with Club Orange.

We have not been loyal to one cruise line, but have cruised the most on HAL. I'm only 65, but no party animal. Would you stay with HAL or try something else?

Are there things you would recommend for a solo to do? Book more shore excursions versus doing your own thing, etc.

Do know that I would probably go to the meet and greets. Husband wasn't a joiner, so we didn't participate.

For a little context. Have been sailing primarily in balcony cabins. Enjoy just sitting on my own balcony with a book and cocktail. Don't feel the need to be entertained at all times. Primarily looking to get out of the frigid north to someplace warm. Love to travel and can not see myself at a resort someplace by myself. On a ship there is lots to do and people around.

Thanks for posting this thread....it's a concerning issue and I hope the HAL forum monitor let's this thread remain on this board...where it's easily seen and not moved to another board...

I haven't taken a solo cruise since my husband passed away a year ago...but I flew to Waikiki and stayed two months solo last fall...with the only daily "chore" of bobbing in the pool and watching the sunset....!!

I think the advice of taking a quieter, less-busy cruise at first is great...an easier transition to get pass any anxiety or potential problems....

Thanks again for posting....:)
  • Like 2

What lovely, caring people sail with HAL.

vswan, you were brave to ask your questions and the answers you received will, I'm sure, convince you to take the next step.  Many others will be grateful to you for raising this subject.

I send my condolences and good wishes for happier times to come.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Rowsby said:

Thanks for posting this thread....it's a concerning issue and I hope the HAL forum monitor let's this thread remain on this board...where it's easily seen and not moved to another board...

I agree and as I said in an earlier post its an area that maybe needs a little space in here. The explosion of the internet in the early 2000's resulted in somewhat niche sites like CC to become increasingly popular. Many of those who contributed to it then and continue to now are veterans cruisers of all lines and many over the last couple of decades have found themselves now cruising solo because of the passing of spouses and partners. There are unique things about their experiences that can be helpful if shared amongst each other as you have seen here.

• Like 3

From my experience if you book an inside or OV cabin on HAL ships (NOT including Pinnacle Class) it is 79% supplement. This is 100% for balcony or suites on all ships and all cabins on Pinnacle Class (Rotterdam, Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam)

On the Grand Voyages it is 60% for an inside or OV.  I am doing a segment of a Grand this month and paying 60% for an OV. 

Edited by Red Haired Lady
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

One consideration when starting the traveling alone experience is to pick countries that are known to be safe, clean, well-signed and often have good access to English language/alphabet signage. Scandinavian cruises come to mind first. Or Alaska.  

This way one is not totally tied to shore excursions but can more safely venture out on one's own from time to time too.

Also more themed, but longer,  cruises seem to generate more passenger interaction like Voyage of the Vikings (excellent, safe, clean accessible ports) or Antarctica. Or Solar Eclipse cruises. 

• Like 2

Let me put my pitch in for those who became "solo" after a divorce too. Many of the same challenges for solo travel, but carrying a different prior personal history. My own adventure into solo traveling started in the 1970's, but as a newly divorced person.

Ironically, I had to fantasize I was "widowed" and that is why I was traveling alone, because of the stigma and fault burden that came from being divorced at that time. But over a one year period of time, I did move from not be able to sleep from worry and anxiety the night before my first day trip venture alone, into traveling solo around the world on my first "cruise ship" a year and half later. 

After that, nothing held me back and I embarked on my world travel adventures solo for years. My goal was to be a member of the Travel Century Club - 100 countries visited. That became my  travel focus and it was on a cruise ship that I finally reached 100 - Mauritius island.

Later in life, I did enter a new relationship and we have cruised constantly, and now have well exceeded my original 100 Country goal.  But after our first cruise together and still doing independent port travel, we got robbed in the Caribbean so now in our later decades, and in a very changed world since the 1970's (more drugs and crime), we now do put personal safety and organized tour travel ahead of our prior flings with only independent travel.

• Like 4

I have been a solo cruiser for a number of years.  The Meet & Greet for my 14-Day Alaska cruise this December has 9 of 35 attendees being solo cruisers.  Cruising has been a part of my life, as other solos, and I am certain that it will continue for all of us.

9 hours ago, vswan said:

Would you suggest that I jump in and join them for my first return to cruising, or should I go solo or find a friend to go on a more peaceful cruise first. I do have several single friends, but even if I share a cabin that's already paid for, asking someone else to pay airfare, taxes and port fees, gratuities, shore excursions, etc. adds up. And asking them to spend money so I can have a companion for vacation just seems wrong to me.

Since your family prefers Carnival, and you would consider joining them, then you would be choosing a line that emphasizes 'get out there', and 'have FUN!'; I couldn't take the pressure to be so lighthearted and enthusiastic all the time. Especially on a first cruise after the death of my spouse. It was hard enough forcing myself to go to Trivia (an activity I loved). 
I would recommend a quieter line over Carnival. Doesn't have to be HAL, but something with a similar atmosphere. 

I see nothing wrong with telling a friend you are taking a cruise, where you are going, and asking if she would be interested in joining you. No pressure that you might like company, or reminders it's your first cruise post-widowhood, just you would be happy to have her come along if she wants. 
She can come or not as she chooses, so long as she really believes this is an inquiry, not a plea. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

One consideration when starting the traveling alone experience is to pick countries that are known to be safe, clean, well-signed and often have good access to English language/alphabet signage. Scandinavian cruises come to mind first. Or Alaska.  

This kind of what helped me make a decision on going solo.  I chose the Koningsdam over New Years as it was a ship I had sailed on before and I had been to the Mexican Riviera twice. I thought familiarity would make me feel better.  And it did help. I am sailing on the Rotterdam out of Amsterdam this summer.  I chose this one because I have been to Amsterdam twice and I think I will be comfortable in a pre cruise stay there. No need to rush around and see the sights. Just relax until i board the ship. And I will probably go on mostly ship excursions. Whatever you decide,  I am sure you will enjoy yourself.

• Like 2

Regarding 'double occupancy' and 'solo supplement'...I recently came across this video on youtube.  This guy is spending a year on cruise ships solo, he's retired Navy.  In this video he talks about how these terms can be confused and how to work it all out to get the best deal and understand pricing.  I thought it was pretty good.

If you want to start it where he starts talking about cost per day and traveling as a solo then skip to 1:57.  

• Like 1

Hi all from another recent single. So sorry for everyone’s losses. We had been married almost 51 years and cruised all over the world. 

It has been a little over a year and a half and am getting packed for my 7th cruise. The first was a B2B to Alaska less than 2 months after my DH had passed on. I have found it difficult to be at home and enjoy traveling to get my mind in a better place. My one (of many!) continuing problem is that I have trouble listening to music. That was something we loved to do so I stay away from some of the music or I tend to embarrass myself. Maybe someday it will get better.

I totally agree how kind the crew are. The first couple of cruises I had trouble when they would ask if I was by myself in the dining room but it is getting easier. And the stewards usually know or find a way to ask gently. I have appreciated their concern.

Yes, the single supplement is harsh but right now it is ok for me. I understand the cost for total use of the cabin by just one person, but why can’t they discount the food? Just one question I think about.

I have met some truly wonderful people in the past year and a half. I find I am getting better at putting myself out there to strangers and it has really helped. We did not do shore excursions much after too many bad bus trips. I usually just plan something to walk to and enjoy being by myself. A wonderful lady from Texas has given me email pep talks and encourages me to take my time and do what I am comfortable with. That works for me but most people would probably rather join a group. Whatever works for you is the right way.

Bon voyage!

Sue

• Like 4

Oh my, I never dreamed when I started this thread that it would turn into such a wonderful outpouring of support and sharing. Your openness is appreciated and I am humbled that so many feel that my starting this thread is helpful not only to myself but others. I know that there will be many challenges ahead, but feel that cruising may not be one of them. It will be hard, but worth the effort.

• Like 12

Good evening, I couldn’t agree more with everything said here.  One thing I might add is luggage .  From reading many post on here, I suggest Luggage Direct for your luggage.  It lifted such a burden by not having to travel with a large bag. I simply could not comprehend  trying to lift  a 50lb bag from the carousel. In fact, I just made contact to have my bag picked up from Vancouver.  It will be delivered to my house in California on my return. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, J&Dhighdesert said:

Good evening, I couldn’t agree more with everything said here.  One thing I might add is luggage .  From reading many post on here, I suggest Luggage Forward for your luggage.  It lifted such a burden by not having to travel with a large bag. I simply could not comprehend  trying to lift  a 50lb bag from the carousel. In fact, I just made contact to have my bag picked up from Vancouver.  It will be delivered to my house in California on my return. 

43 minutes ago, J&Dhighdesert said:

Good evening, I couldn’t agree more with everything said here.  One thing I might add is luggage .  From reading many post on here, I suggest Luggage Direct for your luggage.  It lifted such a burden by not having to travel with a large bag. I simply could not comprehend  trying to lift  a 50lb bag from the carousel. In fact, I just made contact to have my bag picked up from Vancouver.  It will be delivered to my house in California on my return. 

I agree that shipping a bag can be a good idea, although it gets expensive if the shipping is international. However, that is NOT what Luggage Direct is. Luggage Direct is a service that takes your luggage from the ship to the airport for you. It's offered in only a few places--Fort Lauderdale, Seattle, maybe others. 

The shipping service HAL uses (or at least has used in the past) is Luggage Forward. 

Edited to addd: oops, didn't see your correction in the second post.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will be doing my first actual solo cruise in May. My husband died almost one year ago. I have done two cruises since his death. I had already booked the cruises with my DH before he died with FCC that had to be used up. I went on one with a friend and one with my sister. I am a little nervous about my fury true solo cruise  but I told my son I’m alone all day. I think I can be alone all day on a ship full of people.

I don’t think there’s any exact time anyone can tell you is the right time to start back cruising. I had tears on both of the cruises I went on with my sister and friend. I am sure I will have tears on this first solo cruise too.  Even with the tears I’m glad I went. It was the next step I needed to take. I am following peoples advice and I booked club orange on my cruise May. I think the smaller restaurant setting will be better than the large main dining room.

We probably could fill a ship with solo cruisers. Or maybe even get a solo cruiser group going on a ship.

Happy sailing to all. 

• Like 4

Solo cruising is so very different from "singles" cruising. It is an entirely different art form. And a very worthy one. This discussion does deserve its own archives. Thanks again for starting it. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, cruising sister said:

I will be doing my first actual solo cruise in May. My husband died almost one year ago. I have done two cruises since his death. I had already booked the cruises with my DH before he died with FCC that had to be used up. I went on one with a friend and one with my sister. I am a little nervous about my fury true solo cruise  but I told my son I’m alone all day. I think I can be alone all day on a ship full of people.

I don’t think there’s any exact time anyone can tell you is the right time to start back cruising. I had tears on both of the cruises I went on with my sister and friend. I am sure I will have tears on this first solo cruise too.  Even with the tears I’m glad I went. It was the next step I needed to take. I am following peoples advice and I booked club orange on my cruise May. I think the smaller restaurant setting will be better than the large main dining room.

We probably could fill a ship with solo cruisers. Or maybe even get a solo cruiser group going on a ship.

Happy sailing to all. 

It's sort of like taking the training wheels off your bike. You build confidence with that extra help until you're ready to go on your own. I like your comment about being alone all day. Having adjusted to that makes solo travel easier. You learn to be good company for yourself. Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

There seems to be agreement that this subject could be beneficial for many others.  It's in danger of dropping off the current pages and I'm next to useless when it comes to matters technological, so could anyone please advise how to go about trying to get this turned into a 'sticky'.  (It's not obvious, to me, how to contact our 'Host', for example.)

Thanks.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Pickalily, Wilts said:

There seems to be agreement that this subject could be beneficial for many others.  It's in danger of dropping off the current pages and I'm next to useless when it comes to matters technological, so could anyone please advise how to go about trying to get this turned into a 'sticky'.  (It's not obvious, to me, how to contact our 'Host', for example.)

Thanks.

Perhaps enough requests to the moderator can make it a "sticky" thread, like the smoking discussion thread? Eg: Tips for HAL Solo cruisers

I just used the the upper right hand three gray dots "request" feature to report the post as something of interest to the moderator, and included the request to consider it as a 'sticky". Good things can be reported, as well as difficult things.

Worth a try.

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Perhaps a request the moderator to make it a "sticky" thread, like the smoking discussion thread? Eg: Tips for HAL Solo cruisers

Is "Walt" still the moderator?  I saw his name attached to other 'stickies' from way back, but wasn't sure if that's still the person to contact.  (Told you I was useless at this laptop lark 🙃 !)

Just a bit of background:  40 years ago (after a divorce) I had to pluck up courage to take solo trips, so I know how the OP feels.  Have never been the most gregarious person, but somehow I did it.  The result was several longish trips to countries I'd always wanted to visit, which gave me the confidence previously lacking.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Perhaps enough requests to the moderator can make it a "sticky" thread,

Yes I guess this would at least allow the convo here to continue and be added to. The solo cruise category in the specialty forums does cover some similar issues that the solo by choice, married but solo(the Shirley or Sid Valentine🙂), divorced or separated, and widow/widower may have in common and is open to everyone. But, maybe an area where HAL cruisers more specifically can discuss this topic especially as HAL has always had and seems to have increasing numbers now of solo passengers for whatever reason.