Live from the Bliss March 12-26, 2023: Letters Home to Dad

YVRteacher

Here is today’s teacher lunch. I have two more work lunches before I’m officially on Spring Break.  Last year on the Bliss at this time there were 1200 passengers.  This year it is FULL. 
557FC942-4D84-49D6-8622-18238AFDA678.thumb.jpeg.061d85cf761b71fe8ef7d11f2659b603.jpeg

• Like 13

I'm on one week of your BTB cruises.  We're in an aft-facing balcony cabin.  We booked and paid for what we wanted.

You didn't respond to another poster, so I'll ask the same question again:   Why do you think you were "lied to for weeks"  and then "on hold for hours" . .  .  about what?  

Upgrades are subject to availability and NCL is not going to displace someone else if the ship is full.   The ship is full.

You’re right.  I chose not to respond.  It is a long, boring story and I’m choosing not to share all the details.  I love cruising and am absolutely looking forward to both weeks on the cruise.  

• Like 7

Hi, I love your reports with your dad and am sorry he won’t be with you on this one.

I have a question that I think you can answer. We are on the Jewel Panama to San Diego cruise in 10 days and am starting to think about packing. What is the air conditioning like in the restaurants? Do I need to pack a light jacket or a pashmina and should I pack long sleeve shirts  or sweatshirts for my husband? 

• Like 1

Definitely.

The restaurants weren’t overly air-conditioned but the theatre was.  Not only did I need a light sweater but I also wished I had something warm on my feet.  I wish I had packed more warm clothes on our cruise on the Jewel in December.  Ensenada was chilly!

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Guess who is officially on Spring Break?

Well, I googled and it’s a whole bunch of American and Canadian schools including a lot of universities.  Also me!  I am on Spring Break!!

To get into vacation mode, I’ve been aligning my reading with my travel plans.  Earlier this week I read 

DB7E571D-9E6A-4CF0-829B-81CE9F4DD38D.jpeg.c18f64f32e99d8f64179af258b262b8e.jpeg

thinking there would be more action in Puerto Vallarta.

Last night I read this

BB5978AA-C48A-4876-934E-7F3E510044B0.thumb.jpeg.601402415a8b6720d3d0d18dd01381bb.jpeg

which is my first (and last) Danielle Steel novel.  Nothing like an intense flight-tragedy-en-route-to-California read before I board my flight to LA on Saturday.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Definitely.

The restaurants weren’t overly air-conditioned but the theatre was.  Not only did I need a light sweater but I also wished I had something warm on my feet.  I wish I had packed more warm clothes on our cruise on the Jewel in December.  Ensenada was chilly!

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

That was the info I was looking for. Thank you so much.

On 3/6/2023 at 3:38 PM, YVRteacher said:

Here is today’s teacher lunch. I have two more work lunches before I’m officially on Spring Break.  Last year on the Bliss at this time there were 1200 passengers.  This year it is FULL. 
557FC942-4D84-49D6-8622-18238AFDA678.thumb.jpeg.061d85cf761b71fe8ef7d11f2659b603.jpeg

facebook group said 1/2 the pax on our cruise are kids.

max pax = 4000, so 2000 kids.

YIKE!

• Like 2

I might not pack my bathing suit for this trip.  No way I’m going in a pool with that many kids on board.

I set myself the challenge to not use elevators on this cruise.  I like challenges but I don’t know how long it’s going to take me to get from my cabin to the buffet in the morning . I’m going to have to set my alarm an hour earlier than normal…

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

I will ignore the rest but say that I love the Bliss! I sailed on her last year and was fortunate to be in the Haven and had an amazing trip up to Vancouver! The ship is beautiful and the service was amazing!

You're coming from snow to sun and I am once again sailing back up to Vancouver 1st week of May - and I live in Lake Tahoe - so from snow to snow lol!

Today I downloaded the new US customs app.  It will be interesting to see how efficient (or not) going through US customs prior to boarding in Vancouver is with the new app.  It was straightforward and easy to use.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 12:45 PM, YVRteacher said:

Here is the poorly-written email I received this morning from NCL. Not only does their employee have poor grammar but they also greatly disappointed this long-time NCL cruiser.  This email comes after weeks of being lied to and being put on hold for hours while listening to a piped in message about the wonders of NCL.

592D3052-6423-4EB3-AF6A-A4FE62FCFE09.thumb.png.93a794f8c9173842561b08ec01d0352c.png

Should have read, " Thank you for ATTEMPTING to redeem."

There doesn't appear to be a time limit on how long you can Attempt to use your upgrade other than becoming ambassador.

2 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Hi @GALSews

The timeline for redeeming the Diamond upgrade is one year from first becoming Diamond.

Yes, but the cruise doesn't need to sail within one year. Like you can book a cruise within 1 year and sail in 2-3 years' time.

I learnt of this new rule a couple of weeks ago and that pleased us. We become Diamond in June and we're looking at cruises that sail in 2024.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Yes, but the cruise doesn't need to sail within one year. Like you can book a cruise within 1 year and sail in 2-3 years' time.

I learnt of this new rule a couple of weeks ago and that pleased us. We become Diamond in June and we're looking at cruises that sail in 2024.

Yes, both of the Diamond upgrades we used were for cruises over a year out and over 7 days in length.  Felt like we got best value using it for 11 or 12 day cruises.

OP, hope you are successful in getting a decent diamond upgrade on another cruise.  If you have tried to use it and been denied, I think they should extend your time period to book. 

Edited by Sand and Seas
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You know you’re addicted to cruising when you

A) do your pre-packing laundry and seeing the clothes swirl about in the washing machine reminds you of the churned up ocean when the captain uses the bow thrusters

and

B) your pre-trip preparation day consists of browsing NCLs offerings for the next two years

• Like 3
  • Haha 11

It’s almost time for flight check-in!  I am giddy with excitement (not for the flight but for the B2B cruise.)

it doesn’t even matter that I already ate all my airplane snacks because I have a fancy seat on the plane that includes free food.  It also includes free beverages but the whiskey they serve on the plane tastes like dust so suggestions for good plane beverages are welcome…

• Like 7

Very entertaining! I love the buffet Indian station and the Observation Lounge (if they have snacks it's a nice place to hang out).  I have only sailed on Bliss when occupancy was half or less so will be interesting to hear what a sold out cruise is like.  Weather isn't the best right now in Los Angeles. Definitely need  a jacket for the first half of the trip if you are going to be outside. Once you get to Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta it should be nice and toasty. Bon Voyage...

• Like 1

I’m well-insulated and Canadian so 13 degrees Celsius in LA tomorrow will be fine.  The flight arrives in the evening so all I’ll be doing is taking the shuttle to the hotel then going for a swim or a walk and maybe eating some dinner (depending on the quality and quantity of free plane food.) The next day is cruise day and the forecast is 18 degrees C and that is warm weather to me.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, YVRteacher said:

It’s almost time for flight check-in!  I am giddy with excitement (not for the flight but for the B2B cruise.)

it doesn’t even matter that I already ate all my airplane snacks because I have a fancy seat on the plane that includes free food.  It also includes free beverages but the whiskey they serve on the plane tastes like dust so suggestions for good plane beverages are welcome…

I love bourbon, so yeah on the plane it just sucks.   I know they say your taste buds act wonky on a plane so maybe it's that, but  I stick with either white wine OR vodka cranberry (I have yet to have a flight attendant make that undrinkable!)  Enjoy your flight!

• Like 2