Macallan Flight Experience: Questions

st5310

On 3/4/2023 at 1:07 PM, DaKahuna said:

I did this onboard the Silhouette last April.  We had shots of four different Macallan's provided to us, iirc there were four of us, not counting the Macallan expert who was our host (a senior bar tender).

Of the four bottles, only two were served on board but one of the others was being sold in the Ports Merchandise (liquor) store. 

All I can say is the experience reaffirmed for me that I prefer rum and bourbon over scotch. 

OBTW, here is a photo of what we were served. 

IMG_6333_photo.thumb.JPG.5486589f0a7d8a4647340ecd95fd346f.JPG

If you are doing shots, stick with Fireball

10 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

It's always “neat” for me. Why dilute a perfectly good drink? 😉

I find the ice adds just enough water.  And by the time I finish drinking, it’s not that cold.  I have on occasion mixed Coke and ice with the “good stuff”.  😳

27 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Am I doing it wrong, putting ice in my scotch?  I’ve been trying water.  I drink the better stuff neat.

If it makes you happy, then you're doing it right. A smile on your face is the ultimate goal. 

When I'm trying something for the first time, I always like to have at least a small sip perfectly neat, but I'm a habitual evaluator. If I'm happy with it that way, then I'll drink it that way, but I very often add a tiny splash. It's rare that I add ice, but that's me. You enjoy it the way you enjoy it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCPIV said:

If it makes you happy, then you're doing it right. A smile on your face is the ultimate goal. 

When I'm trying something for the first time, I always like to have at least a small sip perfectly neat, but I'm a habitual evaluator. If I'm happy with it that way, then I'll drink it that way, but I very often add a tiny splash. It's rare that I add ice, but that's me. You enjoy it the way you enjoy it. 

Thanks.  I never add ice to the Macallan 25.

• Like 3

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, zitsky said:

I have OBC to burn.  I wonder what price people are seeing for this?  I see $53 right now, which seems high.

It is showing as $53.99 + 20% gratuity for my May cruise.  

I did this on a previous cruise and reaffirmed my dislike of the taste of scotch.  One and done for me. 

6 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

It is showing as $53.99 + 20% gratuity for my May cruise.  

I did this on a previous cruise and reaffirmed my dislike of the taste of scotch.  One and done for me. 

Hi

Try the Irish whiskey.much smoother.

I bought a bottle of Teelings whiskey in Gibraltar last week….lovely.

1 hour ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi

Do you consider Jameson smooth?  It tastes like turpentine to me.  Macallan got me through graduate school.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

DH and I did the Jack Daniel's tasting on Reflection two years ago.  We tried four different versions of JD, including the Sinatra version.  There were only 100 bottles of JD Sinatra created, so it was a treat to taste this rare version.   It also convinced me that Gentleman Jack and JD Single Barrel are much smoother than JD Black.  

The tasting was held in Vintages and the sommelier read from cards.   Our group knew more facts about JD than he did, which made for an interesting information exchange.  

For us, it was a one-and-done deal, but fun regardless. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi

Been there and done that.  I have settled on aged rum with the occasional bourbon thrown in. 

1 hour ago, Saturngrl said:

DH and I did the Jack Daniel's tasting on Reflection two years ago.  We tried four different versions of JD, including the Sinatra version.  There were only 100 bottles of JD Sinatra created, so it was a treat to taste this rare version.   It also convinced me that Gentleman Jack and JD Single Barrel are much smoother than JD Black.  

The tasting was held in Vintages and the sommelier read from cards.   Our group knew more facts about JD than he did, which made for an interesting information exchange.  

For us, it was a one-and-done deal, but fun regardless. 

I have not had the JD Sinatra but it looks like there may be a JD tasting on my next cruise so I'll consider signing up.  I have had enough Gentleman Jack to know I'll never go back to 'old number 7' if there are alternatives.  I'll keep and eye out for the single barrel as I do not think I've had that. 

7 hours ago, zitsky said:

Do you consider Jameson smooth?  It tastes like turpentine to me.  Macallan got me through graduate school.

Hi

I like the basic Jameson’s as a chaser with a Guinness,,,for sipping a Teeling or a Redbreast is good.

The lack of a better Irish on Celebrity I would go for the MacAllan but too many Scotch whisky’s are to Smokey for me.

6 hours ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi

I like the basic Jameson’s as a chaser with a Guinness,,,for sipping a Teeling or a Redbreast is good.

The lack of a better Irish on Celebrity I would go for the MacAllan but too many Scotch whisky’s are to Smokey for me.

Smokey or peaty?  I have an issue with them tasting like dirt because of too much peat. 

I've done it once.  I would not do it again unless I was with a few friends who really wanted to try it.  IMO a way to get additional $$ from people who already paid for the Premium Drink Package- not necessarily a bad thing but it was not a great experience to me.  

I have been on ships in the past where the person taking care of the duty free shop had several whiskies open for interested people to try.  They were "under" the desk and not visible.  Same for bourbons.  Sometimes you need to just ask if they have any open for tasting.

17 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Smokey or peaty?  I have an issue with them tasting like dirt because of too much peat. 

I find the Macallans and Speyside tend to be flavorful without the ashtray taste of some other Scotches.

• Like 1