News on Silver Nova

John117

On 3/11/2023 at 6:44 AM, Silver Spectre said:

This will have been written by the same marketing flunky who wrote the change communication for our Dawn cruise last year and who obviously hates sea days.

Putting that aside, thanks @John117 for posting it in its entirety.

You could write to BM via the Guest Relations department in London or you can contact her by email barbaram@silversea.com

They've changed the itinerary a bit more; just changing the sequence of the ports.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Less than two weeks until Nova's inaugural cruise...where's the excitement?  I did not even see one of Barbara's personal video tours as she did with Dawn and Moon, and this is a totally different concept.  

Is there anyone scheduled for the inaugural cruise who might be interested in doing a "live from"?

• Like 1

A dear friend, who is a travel agent and major producer for Silversea, was invited for a familiarization trip on the Nova - a 4 day Venice to Venice cruise - for travel professionals and press.  This cruise is scheduled for next week and I have already presented him with a list of questions.  He also promised some pictures.  I will post after he returns.  

I agree that the fanfare leading up to Nova's launch is minimal - remember, Nova is the first of a new generation of ship that will influence the path that Silversea takes going forward.  I expected a lot more: so far, the build-up has been limited to some You Tube videos (posted by third parties) of her sail out, a picture of a few Silversea executives accepting delivery of the vessel, a debacle concerning the relaunch and repricing of the La Dame and Kaiseki offerings, and problems being experienced by future Nova passengers with mysilversea.com restaurant bookings.  Not great!  Barbara M is noticeable by her silence (there was actually more publicity with Endeavour.)  Royal Carib certainly know how to create interest and excitement with the introduction of a new ship and product (look at how the Celebrity Edge class launch, for example) but, yet, we are not hearing or seeing much about Silver Nova. This is strange.

Silver Nova spent a few days in Amsterdam last week (those of us who watch Cruisemapper were aware) to accept some deliveries - friends of ours who live in Amsterdam, and who are joining my partner and I on the Holiday Cruise, drove by and caught a look at her and were most impressed.  Silver Nova is a cutting edge ship in so many ways: I know that I am excited, but why is Silversea being so quiet??

Wasn't there lots of fanfare when Moon arrived? I remember all kinds of stuff on line with videos. I agree, they are being very quiet about Nova. Weird, that is for sure.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lois R said:

Wasn't there lots of fanfare when Moon arrived? I remember all kinds of stuff on line with videos. I agree, they are being very quiet about Nova. Weird, that is for sure.

Like many I have noticed the lack of hype about the Nova.   Of course having an upcoming cruise on the Nova I’m quite interested to get as much information as I can.  On top of that our best friends and cruise partners rely on me for information.  I often feel like their mini-TA which is fine and I enjoy the research and planning of our cruises.   It actually has been easy with pretty much the whole Silversea classic fleet.  Other than being smaller or bigger the ships are all laid out about the same.  The Nova is very different with a completely different pool deck layout, cabins both forward and aft, less reliance on the usual center hall configuration, and venues spread out rather than the aft orientation of the rest of the fleet.   Come on Silversea share more.   😀

• Like 3

20 hours ago, LAL Cruiser said:

A dear friend, who is a travel agent and major producer for Silversea, was invited for a familiarization trip on the Nova - a 4 day Venice to Venice cruise - for travel professionals and press.  This cruise is scheduled for next week and I have already presented him with a list of questions.  He also promised some pictures.  I will post after he returns.  

I agree that the fanfare leading up to Nova's launch is minimal - remember, Nova is the first of a new generation of ship that will influence the path that Silversea takes going forward.  I expected a lot more: so far, the build-up has been limited to some You Tube videos (posted by third parties) of her sail out, a picture of a few Silversea executives accepting delivery of the vessel, a debacle concerning the relaunch and repricing of the La Dame and Kaiseki offerings, and problems being experienced by future Nova passengers with mysilversea.com restaurant bookings.  Not great!  Barbara M is noticeable by her silence (there was actually more publicity with Endeavour.)  Royal Carib certainly know how to create interest and excitement with the introduction of a new ship and product (look at how the Celebrity Edge class launch, for example) but, yet, we are not hearing or seeing much about Silver Nova. This is strange.

Silver Nova spent a few days in Amsterdam last week (those of us who watch Cruisemapper were aware) to accept some deliveries - friends of ours who live in Amsterdam, and who are joining my partner and I on the Holiday Cruise, drove by and caught a look at her and were most impressed.  Silver Nova is a cutting edge ship in so many ways: I know that I am excited, but why is Silversea being so quiet??

Just curious, are you on the Nova for Christmas and New years?  We booked that one with a b2b starting in Cartagena departing in Fort Lauderdale.  So far a looks good, waiting to see more.  Looking forward to hear what your TA has to say. 

3 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Just curious, are you on the Nova for Christmas and New years?  We booked that one with a b2b starting in Cartagena departing in Fort Lauderdale.  So far a looks good, waiting to see more.  Looking forward to hear what your TA has to say. 

Yes, we are on the Nova for the Lima to Port Everglades cruise.  We are doing a 5 night Belmond Orient Express package in Lima/Cusco/train/Machu Pichu pre cruise; my partner and I have a home in Fort Lauderdale and spend most of the winter there - thus we end up "at home" with no further travel necessary. That is a good thing!  We are excited about the entire trip (Machu Pichu has been planned and cancelled for a variety of reasons many times) and my partner really likes the idea of being away for the holidays.  And, experiencing a new ship will be a treat - everything will be clean, pretty and new and Silversea will have had 5 month to work out any issues that arise.

Friends from Fort Lauderdale are doing the entire trip with us (land + cruise), plus another couple from Amsterdam (who we met on a Silversea cruise years ago and became very close with) shall also be doing the cruise with us.  All have done many many cruises and are Silversea regulars.  The Amsterdam guys did a "drive by" of the Nova last week when she was in Amsterdam and said she was beautiful - as a matter of fact, they visited us on the Belgian coast last weekend and we mapped out the entire trip, tours and attempted dining plans; we also had a long discussion over very expensive La Dame. LOL.  Of course, we are going to try it.

Silver Nova today is at sea today, off the Spanish coast, and headed to Messina in Sicily. 

I will update when I hear from our very good friend who is the travel agent doing the intro cruise (ex-Venice) next week - he is not our travel agent, dont mix business and pleasure!!

• Like 1

Barbara M. has commented on another social media website that "Silver Nova will be ready on August 14th and she is the most gorgeous ship you will ever see...Crew is working hard to finish up the last touches.. but they are minor last touches."

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LAL Cruiser said:

Yes, we are on the Nova for the Lima to Port Everglades cruise.  We are doing a 5 night Belmond Orient Express package in Lima/Cusco/train/Machu Pichu pre cruise; my partner and I have a home in Fort Lauderdale and spend most of the winter there - thus we end up "at home" with no further travel necessary. That is a good thing!  We are excited about the entire trip (Machu Pichu has been planned and cancelled for a variety of reasons many times) and my partner really likes the idea of being away for the holidays.  And, experiencing a new ship will be a treat - everything will be clean, pretty and new and Silversea will have had 5 month to work out any issues that arise.

Friends from Fort Lauderdale are doing the entire trip with us (land + cruise), plus another couple from Amsterdam (who we met on a Silversea cruise years ago and became very close with) shall also be doing the cruise with us.  All have done many many cruises and are Silversea regulars.  The Amsterdam guys did a "drive by" of the Nova last week when she was in Amsterdam and said she was beautiful - as a matter of fact, they visited us on the Belgian coast last weekend and we mapped out the entire trip, tours and attempted dining plans; we also had a long discussion over very expensive La Dame. LOL.  Of course, we are going to try it.

Silver Nova today is at sea today, off the Spanish coast, and headed to Messina in Sicily. 

I will update when I hear from our very good friend who is the travel agent doing the intro cruise (ex-Venice) next week - he is not our travel agent, dont mix business and pleasure!!

We live in Rancho Mirage (near Palm Springs), this will be are 2nd cruise on SS.  Looking forward to meeting you on the ship.  We’ve always wanted to do a Holiday cruise, but something always got in the way.  This time it’s going to happen.  Looking forward to your up dates………

@LAL Cruiser @Mr Luxury

If either or both of you would be kind enough to ask your TAs to take some photos or video of a wheelchair accessible cabin, especially the bathroom and post them, I would really appreciate it. We are not on until January but I am so curious to see the accessibility before our 71 day cruise. Thanks so much

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, dawntrdr said:

Here's the confirmation from Cruise Industry News that the Silver Nova indeed has left on her inaugural voyage:

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2023/08/silver-nova-departs-on-its-maiden-voyage/

Now the she’s set sail on her inaugural voyage hope to hear from some passengers on their impressions, observations and comments. 

On 8/1/2023 at 3:58 PM, Mr Luxury said:

My TA will also be aboard after just getting off the Crystal Serenity which he didn't like at all.

Nova as you say will be the new generation.

I think it will be wonderful.

Curious what he didn't like about Crystal. The excitement on the Crystal board is hysterical.. They claim that it's in a league of its own.. Of course the prices are in a league of their own too..

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, gcornell said:

From the Points Guy website which is my personal favorite for news and tips. 

https://thepointsguy.com/news/silver-nova-cruise-ship-debut/

Thanks.  I've seen this.  I agree.  He's a good guy to follow.  My guess is it's essentially something that Silversea provides to TA's to send to their clients that he modified.  I'm hoping for info and comments from what passengers have experienced on the current cruise.

Totally agree, the points guy has plenty of good travel hacks.  We sailed twice on the “old” Crystal, and service etc. was good. However, the standard veranda was too small with practically no closet space. The closet was right next to and close to the bed. All of the renovations to the ships, and that set up remained the same.

1 hour ago, toseaornottosea said:

My guess is it's essentially something that Silversea provides to TA's to send to their clients that he modified

I agree this is all from a press release and not someone who was actually on the ship.  The Points Guy review of Crystal Serenity was done by someone onboard a promotional cruise, and the gushing review showed it.

Are there any good ship tour videos on youtube of the Nova yet? 

During the Travel Agent cruise of Explora Journeys there were so many youtube videos just a few days later, but I havent been able to find anything on Silver Nova yet. 

5 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Curious what he didn't like about Crystal. The excitement on the Crystal board is hysterical.. They claim that it's in a league of its own.. Of course the prices are in a league of their own too..

3 hours ago, fdnycruiser said:

Totally agree, the points guy has plenty of good travel hacks.  We sailed twice on the “old” Crystal, and service etc. was good. However, the standard veranda was too small with practically no closet space. The closet was right next to and close to the bed. All of the renovations to the ships, and that set up remained the same.

We also sailed Crystal right before they went bust (and took some of our money with them) and it was nice, for the time. Since then so many new luxury ships have launched or will be launching, I think it will be hard for them to keep up. Especially when it comes to dining.  As for the Crystal remodel, it looks a bit like lipstick on a pig IMO when compared to Nova.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tinaincc said:

We also sailed Crystal right before they went bust (and took some of our money with them) and it was nice, for the time. Since then so many new luxury ships have launched or will be launching, I think it will be hard for them to keep up. Especially when it comes to dining.  As for the Crystal remodel, it looks a bit like lipstick on a pig IMO when compared to Nova.

We sailed with the old Crystal once, to me it was comparable to SS overall. Much better entertainment and enrichment, but smaller cabins, less dining options etc. (did I mention no black caviar?)

Looks like they did a nice job with the remodeling, and both ships have now 30% less passengers. But the ships are still old (and not getting any younger), the entry level cabins are still small (210 sqft) and more expensive than 310 sqft cabins on SS. The maiden sailing was only 60% full. I think if they don't adjust the prices, they won't survive.

I love your lipstick on a pig analogy! Just don't mention it on the Crystal board lol...

• Like 1

Really liking the pictures I’m seeing of the Nova over on the site that cannot be mentioned.  Those were taken on the “almost” inaugural cruise of travel agents, cruise line executives, and other invited guests.  Some of the venues are very different and look fantastic.  About the only new layout I’m not sure about is the pool area.  Will probably have see and experience it myself.  

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

We sailed with the old Crystal once, to me it was comparable to SS overall. Much better entertainment and enrichment, but smaller cabins, less dining options etc. (did I mention no black caviar?)

Looks like they did a nice job with the remodeling, and both ships have now 30% less passengers. But the ships are still old (and not getting any younger), the entry level cabins are still small (210 sqft) and more expensive than 310 sqft cabins on SS. The maiden sailing was only 60% full. I think if they don't adjust the prices, they won't survive.

I love your lipstick on a pig analogy! Just don't mention it on the Crystal board lol...

I wouldn't dare, I got my butt handed to me many times when I merely mentioned my dissatisfaction with the "surrendered deposits" so I know better.