Taking alcoholic drinks into the theatre

daisybel

33 minutes ago, NE John said:

If those ale drinkers are discreet with their beverages and not bothering the Theatre proceedings, it doesn’t seem like a big deal. 
If, however, those ale drinkers turn the Theatre into a rugby scrum, action by the staff needs to be taken. We didn’t sign up for a scrum!
I love a good bitter ale and promise to be on my best behavior during a show…

Would this be the same staff that ensures that the theatre dress code is observed?   Good luck!

6 hours ago, Down-Unders said:

What makes you think that it was not their personal supply, although it has not been mentioned in the original post, around 20 people coming into the theatre  with bottles and glasses of beer would make a Diamond Member like myself question !!

It just seems quite a leap from the original question  ....this was our last visit to the theatre. Not our personal supply. 

IMG_20220925_204834442_HDR.jpg

• Like 4

Didn’t mean to open a can of worms but leaving te empties - both bottles and glasses is not a good look ! 
unsold boxes on Gala nights can be free just before the show . We had a most enjoyable evening in the box for  a gala night and at $60 for two, worth everydollar

includes champagne chocolates. 

• Like 1

Thanks for coming back to the thread, could you tell whether these were drinks from the bars onboard or some personal carry on (which some posters seem to have decided) ?

I hope you're enjoying your trip. 

8 hours ago, Down-Unders said:

I think you are missing the point here, we are talking about around 20 people bringing drinks into the theatre,  this is not about individuals most people are discrete bringing drinks to any part of the ship.

Another way of looking at it is, they are individuals who happen to be in a group of individuals.

I agree, carrying bottles [bought from the bar?] around the ship into the theater isn't an elegant look but I don't think there's a ban on that. Yet.

I have another take on carrying drinks to theatre. The chance of getting an ailse seat are low. How many can carry a drink in a glass thats full , on a moving ship, squeezing past people to get to seats , and guarantee not to spill a drop. Will Cunard offer free dry cleaning for those who have drink spilled over them

3 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

I have another take on carrying drinks to theatre. The chance of getting an ailse seat are low. How many can carry a drink in a glass thats full , on a moving ship, squeezing past people to get to seats , and guarantee not to spill a drop. Will Cunard offer free dry cleaning for those who have drink spilled over them

Don't you think we would have 'heard' by now if drinks had been [habitually] spilt on fellow passengers? I suppose inelegant though it might be seen,  a drink in a bottle is less likely to be spilt than in a glass. A wine bottle anyone?? 😄

4 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

One spill is one two many

Spills occur in bars and restaurants etc. They're called accidents. Accidents happen but thankfully, rarely and I have yet to see or hear of one in a theater. Cunard picked up the laundry bill for a spill on my husband's jacket so you never know, the odd spill in the theatre might be treated the same way. Maybe. Either way, drinks are allowed in the theatre and we have seen wait staff hovering n occasions to fulfill

any drink requests.

• Like 1

Hello!  I have not been on Cunard since covid.  On all my many Cunard sailings (65+) drinks were available in the theatre and never seemed to be a problem.  I certainly took advantage.   Sailing next on QM2 July 21 for 28 days from NY.  Will be happy to report back the latest.  

Deck Chair.

5 hours ago, deck chair said:

Hello!  I have not been on Cunard since covid.  On all my many Cunard sailings (65+) drinks were available in the theatre and never seemed to be a problem.  I certainly took advantage.   Sailing next on QM2 July 21 for 28 days from NY.  Will be happy to report back the latest.  

Deck Chair.

Hi Deck Chair, you and I have met many times onboard QM2 (both seasoned Cunarders with a wealth of Cunard experience)     Just to reassure you, drinks in the Royal Court theatre during an evening  performance   are still permitted and  available, either from the theatre service dispensary  QM2  or guests like my self who opt to purchase  en- route to the theatre  on the vista class ships  from the Golden Lion Pub .

No problems unless any future mask mandatory procedures limit this temporarily 😉   

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

Hi Deck Chair, you and I have met many times onboard QM2 (both seasoned Cunarders with a wealth of Cunard experience)     Just to reassure you, drinks in the Royal Court theatre during an evening  performance   are still permitted and  available, either from the theatre service dispensary  QM2  or guests like my self who opt to purchase  en- route to the theatre  on the vista class ships  from the Golden Lion Pub .

No problems unless any future mask mandatory procedures limit this temporarily 😉   

I will look forward to seeing you again.  And as long as you promise not to bring it into the theater, I will buy you a drink!!!  DECK CHAIR

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, deck chair said:

Deck Chair.

Both my cruises last year drinks were banned in the theatre - and masks were strongly enforced. They weren't selling the gala boxes either. 

Its nice to see its going back to normal. Partly this is a cultural thing - but carrying bottles to a venue is perfectly normal for those of us who grew up with BYO. We certainly carried bottles (either won in trivia, given to us on embarkation or own supply) to drink in  Britannia - we weren't the only ones and I no one cared. 

On 3/10/2023 at 9:39 AM, Down-Unders said:

I think you are missing the point here, we are talking about around 20 people bringing drinks into the theatre,  this is not about individuals most people are discrete bringing drinks to any part of the ship.

Just clarify, if you buy a drink in any bar or restaurant on Cunard, you can take your drinks anywhere on the ship PERIOD.If you bring alcohol on board you pay corkage but  if you drink it  in your cabin no corkage.When I read 20 people come in with bottles and glasses of beer I get suspicious, now I have not done 65+ cruises but there is nothing wrong with my eye sight nor my hearing.

2 hours ago, Down-Unders said:

Just clarify, if you buy a drink in any bar or restaurant on Cunard, you can take your drinks anywhere on the ship PERIOD.If you bring alcohol on board you pay corkage but  if you drink it  in your cabin no corkage.When I read 20 people come in with bottles and glasses of beer I get suspicious, now I have not done 65+ cruises but there is nothing wrong with my eye sight nor my hearing.

Unfortunately I have to correct this statement. We were on board in September the QM2 and there were no drinks either alcohol or beverage allowed in the Royal Court Theater during our 14 day sailing.

There is no beverage sales like in the past during or before the shows in RCT. Also they removed all the tables in the RCT that were in front of the revolving chairs in btw the Couch Chairs. We heard them advise passengers they were not permitted.

We will be sailing in June and will see if this continues. Maybe someone on board now can clarify this presently.

On 3/11/2023 at 10:13 AM, lissie said:

Both my cruises last year drinks were banned in the theatre - and masks were strongly enforced. They weren't selling the gala boxes either. 

Its nice to see its going back to normal. Partly this is a cultural thing - but carrying bottles to a venue is perfectly normal for those of us who grew up with BYO. We certainly carried bottles (either won in trivia, given to us on embarkation or own supply) to drink in  Britannia - we weren't the only ones and I no one cared. 

I would not expect to see one drinking out of a bottle in the Britannia, but in a glass and  paying corkage  perfectly  acceptable !

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Unfortunately I have to correct this statement. We were on board in September the QM2 and there were no drinks either alcohol or beverage allowed in the Royal Court Theater during our 14 day sailing.

There is no beverage sales like in the past during or before the shows in RCT. Also they removed all the tables in the RCT that were in front of the revolving chairs in btw the Couch Chairs. We heard them advise passengers they were not permitted.

We will be sailing in June and will see if this continues. Maybe someone on board now can clarify this presently.

Did you inquire what the reason was ?

4 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

That was certainly the case in September, but that had all changed by the time we were on QM2 again in January. The tables were back in the Theatre, and wait staff were taking drinks orders and delivering drinks to seats, at least on the lower level. 

I guess it's a fluid situation (no pun intended) and may vary depending on Covid restrictions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Down-Unders said:

Did you inquire what the reason was ?

There was no beverage staff available to inquire.

Removing the tables certainly made it uneasy to set glass down. 

Honestly,  no one, no one thought of bringing in a beverage that I viewed.

I thing it had to do with the Pandemic.

Honestly, I enjoy a after dinner drink watching the show, so I had it in the Chart Roon after listening to Jazz.