Booking TWO people for just a solo cruiser....questions?

mickeychicky

New to MSC and already having issues with trying to book a cruise for just me.

I am not getting any available cabins for just ONE person, but get a lot of cabin options for 2 people.  BEFORE you say, because there are no solo cabins available....yesterday morning I did a mock booking for ONE PERSON for an inside cabin and let them pick my room.  I also did a mock booking for TWO people, inside cabin (just to compare the prices) and let them pick my room....it was the same cabin.  So it didn't matter if I picked ONE or TWO people it was the same cabin.

TODAY, I can book the cruise for TWO people, inside cabin and it's less than if I had booked yesterday for ONE or TWO people. 

QUESTION:  If I book for 2 people, when can I cancel that 2nd (ghost person) off my booking?  I know I will only be refunded the port fees for that person.

QUESTION:  When I cancel that 2nd person off my booking, are they going to try to apply a penalty to my booking for me now being a solo traveler?

27 minutes ago, Tierun said:

Use a travel agent or call to book. 

I tried to call yesterday and was told "there are no rooms available for 1 person".  I tried to explain there are rooms for 2 people though, they are the same rooms, can you book me in one of those just don't add the 2nd person, I was told no.

Call back and speak to someone else... 

I was looking to book an aft Aurea suite on Seashore for Feb 2024, (we have this cabin for Nov) and when I went online, none were showing.

Added a third person and all the cabins showed up.

I called, and asked the rep, who by the way was very helpful, (a first) and she said no problem.

I said OK, but hold off for now, and she offered to put the room on a 72 hour hold.

Remember,  this is MSC.

Call three reps and get four different answers!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

MSC does limit the number of solo bookings allowed. The website also seems to put the cabin you choose during a mock booking on hold for a certain amount time, so you may try again the next day to see if lets you book.

I learned this while trying to book 2 solo cabins with a friend a few weeks ago. We were online at the same time booking solo Bella cabins. We both got to the payment screen and it let me enter my payment information, but when my friend tried to enter payment information, a screen came up that said “No cabins available for this rate”. I believe I had locked the last solo cabin because my friend started over and it would not give a solo rate. Luckily I had not hit submit for the payment, since it was inside of the final payment date.

2 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

MSC does limit the number of solo bookings allowed. The website also seems to put the cabin you choose during a mock booking on hold for a certain amount time, so you may try again the next day to see if lets you book.

I learned this while trying to book 2 solo cabins with a friend a few weeks ago. We were online at the same time booking solo Bella cabins. We both got to the payment screen and it let me enter my payment information, but when my friend tried to enter payment information, a screen came up that said “No cabins available for this rate”. I believe I had locked the last solo cabin because my friend started over and it would not give a solo rate. Luckily I had not hit submit for the payment, since it was inside of the final payment date.

But if I am willing to pay the double occupancy rate why should it matter?  I will just cancel the 2nd person off my booking, I know I'm not getting a refund for them (only port fees) I just want to make sure I can book for 2 and cancel 1 without getting into trouble.

Make sure you read and understand the Terms and Conditions on the MSC website before you try to do a ghost second person.

The T&C has very specific information on cancellation policies and "No Shows."

MSC has caught on to the solo traveler booking a ghost cabin mate. It makes a difference.  

7 minutes ago, mickeychicky said:

But if I am willing to pay the double occupancy rate why should it matter?  I will just cancel the 2nd person off my booking, I know I'm not getting a refund for them (only port fees) I just want to make sure I can book for 2 and cancel 1 without getting into trouble.

The cruise line regards the booking as only part of the revenue, the rest comes from the up-selling of packages, excursions etc.so they do view a single booking in a double cabin as lost revenue...

1 minute ago, Mark_T said:

The cruise line regards the booking as only part of the revenue, the rest comes from the up-selling of packages, excursions etc.so they do view a single booking in a double cabin as lost revenue...

Yes, part of the verbiage on the MSC website includes the statement that besides the cancellation fee of the second passenger, a additional 10% of the fare may be added  for a single passenger.

8 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Yes, part of the verbiage on the MSC website includes the statement that besides the cancellation fee of the second passenger, a additional 10% of the fare may be added  for a single passenger.

I am beginning to think MSC isn't the cruise line for me than.  Not sure I like the "solo traveler discrimination" vibe I am getting and I haven't even booked yet.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mickeychicky said:

I would either call MSC and try to book or get a travel agent who is willing to work with MSC (not always easy to find, lol).  I have never found a way to book solo on the website, even when willing to pay double, if there are no solo rates available.

17 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Make sure you read and understand the Terms and Conditions on the MSC website before you try to do a ghost second person.

The T&C has very specific information on cancellation policies and "No Shows."

MSC has caught on to the solo traveler booking a ghost cabin mate. It makes a difference.  

Then they shouldn't make it so difficult.  If I'm willing to pay the double occupancy I shouldn't be penalized for 1 NO SHOW.  Would they rather that cabin go vacant with $0 revenue?

• Like 1

Just now, mickeychicky said:

I am beginning to think MSC isn't the cruise line for me then.  Not sure I like the "solo traveler discrimination" vibe I am getting and I haven't even booked yet.

I have been on 4 MSC cruises solo in the past year, and all have been great. There were a LOT of solo passengers on board, I was seated at tables in the dining room with other solos, there was a hosted solo cruiser party and scheduled unhosted solo meetings daily. 

The main issue is their website and customer service are horrible. If you are able to easily book what you want, and leave the booking alone, you should be fine. Otherwise, you will probably be frustrated and another line would be a better option.

16 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

@mickeychickyIf you book another person, would it be a real person with a real passport #?  And then the person is a no-show at the pier?  This may be a different outcome than booking for two, and then canceling one prior to check in.

Yes its a real person with a real passport, they just aren't going on a cruise with me.  And if I can't cancel them off of my booking then I can't pre-purchase a drink package for just 1.  I would have to buy for 2 with one being non existent.

Before you give up or book a cabin for 2 with the intention of canceling one, I'd call again and hope to get a rep that's more helpful. If you get a "no" try a couple more times to get someone else and if still no luck choose another date or another cruiseline. I've also found that when a certain category is listed as sold out on the website if I wait a few days and try again sometimes it will open up and I can book. Good luck!

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

@mickeychickyIf you book another person, would it be a real person with a real passport #?  And then the person is a no-show at the pier?  This may be a different outcome than booking for two, and then canceling one prior to check in.

TabbyKats, same advice for you as given before, read the Terms and Conditions.

2 hours ago, mickeychicky said:

Then they shouldn't make it so difficult.  If I'm willing to pay the double occupancy I shouldn't be penalized for 1 NO SHOW.  Would they rather that cabin go vacant with $0 revenue?

You are not being penalized as a solo cruiser.

MC, like many cruise lines, have solo rates that are the price of cabin for two plus sometimes an additional charge to make up for the projected revenue of a second passenger's on board purchases.  Sometimes a solo rate is offered that is 75% of the cost  for two passengers in the room .

MSC has good rates and they keep them good by deleting the possibilities of many fare churning games played by passengers.  What you book is what you pay.

It was a common practice for solo passengers on MSC to avoid the solo passenger fare to book a ghost passenger that would be a "no show" at embarkation.

There were several posters on this forum who boasted about his practice. One woman in particular would give the number of cruises that she booked her niece in the room with her knowing the niece was not ever going to come. 

MSC was aware of the scam and added penalties to the T&C.

If you can't find a solo cabin at the Bella level, try going up a level.  There may be a solo rate for that cabin. 

I booked a solo on MSC Divina last month for an April sailing. Basically getting an Oceanview solo for the price now listed for double occupancy. Yes, MSC, like many cruise lines, has a limit on solo occupied cabins. It can get even worse if, as a solo, you decide to bring a friend. I’ve read that if you make changes to your booking your original pricing is forfeit and the re-booking will be processed at the current posted rate so if there has been a price increase both cruisers will pay it.

MSC is also notorious for their booking screwups and IT issues.

I got free drinks and wifi but those perks don’t seem to be available on current bookings. Booking a cruise can be a crapshoot at times and I don’t know why but if you find that sweet spot in the booking window it’s a bonus.

”Ghost” bookings can get you into trouble. I would avoid them. Try some other sailings or search some other cruise lines. 

2 hours ago, LTCruzer said:

Unless you must go on that specific date or ship for some reason, I would find another sailing that is showing solo rates. There should be other options available that are less hassle to book.

My sister and her husband are already booked on THAT one.

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

You are not being penalized as a solo cruiser.

MC, like many cruise lines, have solo rates that are the price of cabin for two plus sometimes an additional charge to make up for the projected revenue of a second passenger's on board purchases.  Sometimes a solo rate is offered that is 75% of the cost  for two passengers in the room .

MSC has good rates and they keep them good by deleting the possibilities of many fare churning games played by passengers.  What you book is what you pay.

It was a common practice for solo passengers on MSC to avoid the solo passenger fare to book a ghost passenger that would be a "no show" at embarkation.

There were several posters on this forum who boasted about his practice. One woman in particular would give the number of cruises that she booked her niece in the room with her knowing the niece was not ever going to come. 

MSC was aware of the scam and added penalties to the T&C.

If you can't find a solo cabin at the Bella level, try going up a level.  There may be a solo rate for that cabin. 

I can go to Royal Caribbean, put in 1 for # of travelers and, unless that sailing is Completely Booked, I will get a cabin that is charging me DOUBLE OCCUPANCY, and it would be my choice if I want to pay double for 1 person. 

MSC doesn't even give me the opportunity to book 1 person at a double occupancy rate (which I would do because it's still cheaper than a RCCL cruise).  It's either a SOLO rate, or a 2 person rate and you better have 2 people that go or you'll be charged EVEN more than the double occupancy rate you've already paid. 

It's not a scam if I AM PAYING FOR 2 people and only 1 shows up. I would have paid more than a solo cruiser fare anyway when I booked. 

• Like 1

MSC used to have zero solo supplement many years ago. Then they have eliminated that policy and suddenly solos were not welcome anymore. It is a pity. And I agree with you that is discriminatory towards solo cruisers. No matter how well some tries to justify if one solo passenger is not able to book a cabin at all even though cabins are available, it is discriminatory and solo unfriendly. And it does not always have to do with a limited availability of cabins for solos.

Ivi

3 hours ago, mickeychicky said:

I can go to Royal Caribbean, put in 1 for # of travelers and, unless that sailing is Completely Booked, I will get a cabin that is charging me DOUBLE OCCUPANCY, and it would be my choice if I want to pay double for 1 person. 

MSC doesn't even give me the opportunity to book 1 person at a double occupancy rate (which I would do because it's still cheaper than a RCCL cruise).  It's either a SOLO rate, or a 2 person rate and you better have 2 people that go or you'll be charged EVEN more than the double occupancy rate you've already paid. 

It's not a scam if I AM PAYING FOR 2 people and only 1 shows up. I would have paid more than a solo cruiser fare anyway when I booked. 

As beautiful as the ships are....the land service is awful.

On the home page there's a link to request a call from a concierge.  Maybe they are a bit better trained and/or more logical that the reps at the call center.  I'd give that a try.

Maybe it's my imagination...or I had a senior moment, but I swear that just recently (last couple of weeks) they were pushing solo cruisers on the home page.