Three years of remote working

Magicat

1 hour ago, lx200gps said:

$US30K per year to live is a 135 sq ft cabin?  All yours, enjoy the trip ;o)

Well, you just don't measure your bedroom when you describe your house, at least I don't.  

Edited by Magicat

12 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Nah, the cabin is just to sleep in. I'd have the rest of the ship to "live" in! 😇

Yes, but precious few of these cabins have balconies, and as far as living in the rest of the ship, you are always in public.  I personally would grow tired of that.  I am outgoing for a 12-14 day cruise, but then want my privacy.  I don't want to think that my life would be constantly around other people day in and day out.  Three years in a cabin you could barely swing a cat?  No, thank you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Yes, but precious few of these cabins have balconies, and as far as living in the rest of the ship, you are always in public.  I personally would grow tired of that.  I am outgoing for a 12-14 day cruise, but then want my privacy.  I don't want to think that my life would be constantly around other people day in and day out.  Three years in a cabin you could barely swing a cat?  No, thank you.

Think of it living in a retirement home.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Magicat said:

Think of it living in a retirement home.  

Residents of a "retirement home" probably expect far more involved and regular medical oversight than a tiny ship like this would be able to offer. And what about serious illness or accidents while on board? Even before your $$$ medical insurance kicked in, allowing you to be flown 10,000 miles home to Canada, you'd have to be treated locally wherever the ship is docked.  Sorry, this isn't a retirement home I'd want to live in.

The 183 rule and the provincial health insurance out-of-country limitations probably mean that no Canadians would book for the full cruise. Of course, if they were to split a booking with another couple and do six months on, six months off, it might be feasible. Maybe this would be an easier sell to your boss @Magicat😉 

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

The 183 rule and the provincial health insurance out-of-country limitations probably mean that no Canadians would book for the full cruise. Of course, if they were to split a booking with another couple and do six months on, six months off, it might be feasible. Maybe this would be an easier sell to your boss @Magicat😉 

Thanks for the advice, but I am already working in another country for a Canadian company.  My  medical insurance covers me and my wife everywhere even when we travel for vacation.  So my selling pitch would be they can give up our house expenses here in Mexico to save costs and I will work from the ship.  Sounds like a win win to me.🤣

• Haha 1

• Host Carolyn changed the title to Three years of remote working
On 3/9/2023 at 4:21 PM, Magicat said:

Thanks for the advice, but I am already working in another country for a Canadian company.  My  medical insurance covers me and my wife everywhere even when we travel for vacation.  So my selling pitch would be they can give up our house expenses here in Mexico to save costs and I will work from the ship.  Sounds like a win win to me.🤣

I want to ask - are you currently working long-term in another country?

My company health insurance covers us for personal or business travel with no condition on length BUT we have to have a valid Ontario Health Card for coverage to be in place.  This means that if you are gone from the province for a extended period you would lose health coverage if this is a condition of your company plan.

On 3/11/2023 at 4:14 AM, CDNPolar said:

I want to ask - are you currently working long-term in another country?

My company health insurance covers us for personal or business travel with no condition on length BUT we have to have a valid Ontario Health Card for coverage to be in place.  This means that if you are gone from the province for a extended period you would lose health coverage if this is a condition of your company plan.

I have been working here (Mexico) for 5 years now with an exit strategy in another 2.  I maintain a house in Canada, get paid in Canadian dollars into my bank in Canada.  The main point is I still pay Canadian taxes as if I were working in Canada.  As far as CRA is concerned, I am a resident of Canada (Ontario) so I still have a valid OHIP card.  Actually just renewed it last summer.  

A year and a half ago I had appendicitis and it was removed here in Mexico.  Great hospital by the way.  It was reimbursed for it by my health insurance.