Embarkation day - Carry-ons and luminae

Carol28

Did I read somewhere that we can place our carry-ons in our cabins when we board even though the rooms might not be ready? Are the rooms kept locked even if they are unfinished?

And, is lunch available in the luminae on embarkation day for suite guests? 

Thank you!  We board on Sunday! 

47 minutes ago, Carol28 said:

Did I read somewhere that we can place our carry-ons in our cabins when we board even though the rooms might not be ready? Are the rooms kept locked even if they are unfinished?

O asks that passengers do not go to their cabin until the announcement is made that their cabin-category is ready. While some passengers do this and claim the staff doesn't care, they do. Suites will be available earlier than the other cabins.

Lunch is served at the Terrace Cafe and at Waves. They are both quite nice and the mood is festive.

If you are in an owner's suite you may have lunch served in your room.

Have a fun cruise!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carol28 said:

That might be another  cruise line  no luminae  on Oceania

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, AMHuntFerry said:

O asks that passengers do not go to their cabin until the announcement is made that their cabin-category is ready. While some passengers do this and claim the staff doesn't care, they do. Suites will be available earlier than the other cabins.

Lunch is served at the Terrace Cafe and at Waves. They are both quite nice and the mood is festive.

If you are in an owner's suite you may have lunch served in your room.

Have a fun cruise!

Thank you. I was getting our cruise ships confused.  Please tell me if the Terrace Cafe has table service? I just looked at both and it looks like at Waves, you order at a counter or it's a buffet.

48 minutes ago, Carol28 said:

Thank you. I was getting our cruise ships confused.  Please tell me if the Terrace Cafe has table service? I just looked at both and it looks like at Waves, you order at a counter or it's a buffet.

Terrace Cafe is a buffet and it will be open for lunch on embarkation day. 

48 minutes ago, DrHemlock said:

Terrace Cafe and Waves are buffet for food items; table service for beverages. 

Well, Waves is mixed, most things you order at the counter and they bring them to your table. They have some items that are self serve. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Carol28 said:

Did I read somewhere that we can place our carry-ons in our cabins when we board even though the rooms might not be ready? Are the rooms kept locked even if they are unfinished?...

If you mean a larger airline-style carry-on bag or case, you can check that with the O porter (make sure you've used one of your O luggage tags), who will also take your larger suitcase (the checked one).

When I board I bring on 6 bottles of wine in an open fabric carrying bag. I go up to our cabin to see if it is done. If the cabin card works (opens our door) and I can obviously see the room is done, I put the wine bag in the room. If I happen to see our steward then, I mention it.

What "O" asks and what O allows often seem fascinating. A published alcohol policy about 6 bottles of wine but many report bringing on board entire cases or more, including beer & spirits. So once I learned that, I did, too. With the Currents newspaper discussing bringing back beer, hard liquor and wine from ports. So I do that, too. AND see the MESS that is disembarkation. O has all sorts of instructions and even coded tags. But guess what, it is an absolute Cluster-Foxtrot at disembarkation and seemingly nothing they said or instructed made any difference. Anyone who gets in the "right place" early just leaves when they want, pretty much regardless of any O procedures or instructions we've been told were going to be applicable.

1 minute ago, jennybenny said:

Big breakfast required… I don’t like buffets. I don’t like people who lick their hands and keep touching food/serving utensils etc, or cough into food…. Not for me 

It is not self serve buffet

O staff  serve you 

Some will even carry your plate to the table

If worried go to Waves & order  then they will bring the food to your table

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jennybenny said:

Big breakfast required… I don’t like buffets. I don’t like people who lick their hands and keep touching food/serving utensils etc, or cough into food…. Not for me 

Does anyone like people licking their hands and coughing into food?  

This sounds like an issue we can all agree on. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, shepherd really said:

Does anyone like people licking their hands and coughing into food?  

This sounds like an issue we can all agree on. 

Haha!! Sure, but I’ve observed some self serve buffets and been mortified by people. Enough times that I just can’t 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, jennybenny said:

You are describing the buffets with Celebrity, for those segregated from Luminae.

On O, you do  not touch anything. You  are served, regardless of what kind of accommodation you have.

Yeah I am beating this to death.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

You are describing the buffets with Celebrity, for those segregated from Luminae.

On O, you do  not touch anything. You  are served, regardless of what kind of accommodation you have.

The closest I come to touching someone else's food is when I use tongs to grab way too many of those tasty little cakes at Baristas

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LHT28 said:

It is not self serve buffet

O staff  serve you 

Some will even carry your plate to the table

If worried go to Waves & order  then they will bring the food to your table

On embarkation day, doesn't Waves have a long line? And is the Terrace crowded or easy to get a table? I find buffets difficult, especially with our carry-ons.  And so, one of us goes at a time and it's just not fun. (This is our first time on O. On other ships we usually pay for a specialty lunch.)

11 hours ago, jonthomas said:

Never been on Celebrity 🤷🏻‍♀️

I like that the O buffet has servers but still not something I necessarily would enjoy. Food gets cold quickly and finding a table after your food… 

I think I’ll survive 

18 minutes ago, Carol28 said:

On embarkation day, doesn't Waves have a long line? And is the Terrace crowded or easy to get a table? I find buffets difficult, especially with our carry-ons.  And so, one of us goes at a time and it's just not fun. (This is our first time on O. On other ships we usually pay for a specialty lunch.)

I’m curious about that too

If lines at Waves or Terrace are that big an issue for you, have a nice leisurely lunch ashore, go to the port at 2:30-3:00 and stroll on to the ship.   Your cabin will then be ready and you can avoid those lines.   

There are options.  Choose the one that works for you.   

• Like 4